Performance is pretty bad, on a high end PC

My favourite part of Insurgency 1 was how smooth it felt. That game was butter smooth. Perfect for twitch shooters. You could know exactly how and when every button press, every mouse movement would react on your screen.

Insurgency Sandstorm is the opposite. It has wildly fluctuating framerates. On the training level, I struggled to reach over 90fps. On medium-high settings. On 1080p. With an i7-7700k, GTX 1070 (neither of which were anywhere near 100% load), 16GB DDR4, and an SSD. What the hell? The worst part is that whatever graphical improvements were made to the last Insurgency, they don't seem worth the massive cost in performance. High res ground textures look awful when the occasional 2D low res shrub/grass texture is thrown on them. Everything has texture pop-in. Where did all the performance hit go to? I'm not seeing anything that stands out and makes me go "wow this looks so much better than Insurgency 1", they must be very subtle.

Now I could cap the framerate with Rivatuner like I do for most games, which I did, except usually with most games that makes them smooth. With Sandstorm, it's still not smooth. I'm still getting random frametime jitters all over the place. This game doesn't feel like an extension of my body like Insurgency 1 did, I feel like I'm spending more time fighting with the PC than I actually am playing the game. There are plenty of games out there that had similar performance to Insurgency, like DOOM, or AC Odyssey. But A ) they looked waaaaaay better, and B ) they were SMOOTH. Rock solid frametimes.

The sad part is knowing that this late in the beta, I don't think this is fixable. I think it comes down to the choice to use UE4 as the engine. I'm someone with over 2000 hours in Insurgency 1, I've never looked more forward to a game than Sandstorm, but I don't know if I'm gonna buy this. The underlying game is incredibly fun, but the engine and performance is the bottleneck in enjoyment here.

My pc is shit but it fits to minimum requirements so that means i can play the game. My settings all on minimum showing 90-120 fps but it drops to 15 every 5 seconds, literally unplayble. Devs, you better update your system requirements or fix your game.

@moeburn
The engine is just the pencil of the artist and there is proof the engine is not the problem. You can find games on ue4 handling this, most notably Fortnite - How would you explain the stable FPS in those games otherwise? I think NWI can make lots of improvements, I see no logic in why this is not the case. Changing engine is probably a challenge for NWI, understandably so, but blaming the engine limitations should be documented if you have any reason to make such a claim. I am rooting for NWI and hope they will achieve their goals, but I would not make up excuses without any explanation.

I'm feeling just the same about this game. I'm a hardcore Insurgency 2014 player, but I can't enjoy Insurgency Sandstorm because of the performance.

I've been praying the whole closed alpha and beta for optimization. It's running better now than in the first alpha stages, but it's still hard to enjoy, even in the lowest possible settings (which look much worse than Insurgency 2014).

When playing in the lowest settings, it's really sad to have both worse graphics and worse performance than Insurgency 2014. I have bought Sandstorm anyways, and played for +40 hours, but I can't really enjoy it as I do with Insurgency 2014.

I HAD issues, but i realised that there was no point in pushing the game by maxing out settings @1080 when its still in beta.

I too have a high end system but can only get max 70fps to as low as 15fps on maxed settings with a gtx970.

On medium settings i get 120fps to 65fps. smooth and playable.

I've put my GFX upgrade on hold until this game/drivers mature abit more.

last edited by kw0n3k

Having similar issues happening to me (midrange CPU i5-3470 3.2GHz and high-ish-range GPU GTX 1070 SC).
First I absolutely HAD to put the game on an SSD. Otherwise the guns/limbs or world textures just weren't there almost 20-30% of the time. When I put it on an SSD It dropped to only around 5% of the time, but still happens.
However stutters are still present, lower graphics don't really make a difference.

I've had 2 friends that I really hyped for this game that ended up refunding it cause they couldn't stand it. I kept it because I enjoy the gameplay but the performance is horrible.

This post is deleted!