Game Mechanic Details/Explanations

What's the best place to get an explanation of how some of the different game mechanics work? The tutorial in the prologue touched on a lot of things but i'm looking for more statistics/depth. for BFGA1 that Shas'o guy had an FAQ thread where he fully explained the details of different mechanics and that's more or less what i'm looking for. Is anything like that available? If not, can someone more familiar with the game fill me in?

Even though i'm familiar with how a lot of this worked in BFGA1, I'm not sure how much of it has changed in the new game.

Assault actions
How is success calculated?
What are the possible outcomes?
Whats the difference between the types of assaults (boarding vs lightning strike vs boarding craft)?
How does the reworked Troop mechanic play into this?
What are the effects of the different troop levels (green vs yellow vs red)

Ordnance
How do defensive turrets function?
How do fighters calculate chances of shooting down ordnance

Stances
Are these always active until you switch to a different one? Or does the effect have a set duration once chosen?

Are there any other mechanics that have gotten a rework, or deserve further explanation?

Assault actions
How is success calculated?
What are the possible outcomes?
Whats the difference between the types of assaults (boarding vs lightning strike vs boarding craft)?
How does the reworked Troop mechanic play into this?
What are the effects of the different troop levels (green vs yellow vs red)

its so simplistic you will be ashamed you missed it

• how is success is calculated? its very simple, its deducted
    for example: a nid cruiser with 18 troop damage boarding a ork cruiser with 12 troops per chunk when boarding will do 12-18=6> 12-6=6 so the nid wile have done one crit by killing a layer and killed 6 of the next layer
    for other factions they have some randomization, think marines can do between 8and12 with their cruiser(not 100% on this but irrelevant) so its just a random number pick between those numbers
  • troop crit chance adds a number to the number you need to subtract, the crit chance and number added depends on faction and ship class of the boarding ship, tho you can mostly ignore this, adding 2or3 to 18 isnt going to make a difference and with a 10% chanse you shouldnt rely on it
    troop crit chance does not in any way crit systems
    even as marines with 30% crit chance the results are still so low as to be irrelevant, just a chance to a slightly higher randomization in the troops killed
  • troops come in 3 layers so their troop number is what shown in fleet builder x3
    .. -loss of the first layer is -10% firerate and 1 temporary crit
    ..-loss of the second layer increases the firerate reduction to a pathetic -20% total and does a single permanent crit
    ..-loss of the third layer turns the ship into a instawin bomb for the faction that got boarded while having no negative permanent effects to the ship, tho it does disable it until you recrew it but there is no downside to recrewing except for losing your instawin button
    a battleshipship that got hulked and recrewed by a LC lightning strike will still hold all the boarding charges it had before it got hulked somehow
  • there are no possible outcomes, the crit will always affect the targeted system and nothing will ever happen beyond the single crit
  • boarding actions do 10 morale damage per troop killed, so hulking a ork cruiser would have done 360 morale damage to it and nothing to surrounding ships unlike what happens when you destroy a ship that would have morale effects on the entire fleet
  • the difference between the types of assaults is simple, lightning strikes has ore range, need shields to be down, but deal less troop damage (except shrouds those deal the same), still just simply take the troop number and do -the troop damage number
  • pretty sure assault boats deal 3 troop damage per craft same as boarding torps
    they are the only ordnance that has no chanse to get back and regain charges making it the weakest in the game

🤔 did i miss something, if so just ask

Ordnance
How do defensive turrets function?
How do fighters calculate chances of shooting down ordnance

• turrets no longer roll once for everything that gets into range, they target one at a time and move on to the nextas soon as it dies
  • they reroll every 3seconds
  • they have 4.5k range
  • fighters act the same way as soon as they start dogfighting
    not sure what the % chance of those rolls is

Stances
Are these always active until you switch to a different one? Or does the effect have a set duration once chosen?

• they are active forever
  • they only go down when you either lose your deck or change into another stance
last edited by Ashardalon

@ashardalon

Shouldn't really have to go looking though. As I said in my own thread, the amount of data that's needlessly obfuscated is frustrating. I thought the whole reason we gave up the more aesthetic UI from the first game was to get more data, not less.

Hell, as your own reply shows, a lot of numbers we still don't have.

@romeo
if 1 is a lot, then yes i guess

tho unmentioned, i would like ordnance stats back

@ashardalon: do you know if damage reduction interacts in any way with weapon crit. chance?

@fosil fairly certain, no
i suggested it a lot and pretty sure most agreed
dont think it was implemented
sadly i dont make all the design decisions
but not sure, it could be in

at least it buffs macros compared to lances. pure lance chaos without some carnage macro spam seems to be underwhelming against all the high shield strength and that is a good thing.

Do we have a list of which civs ordnance is best?

I'm not convinced they are equal as the tyranids seem to chew my IN fighters which then leaves me open to boarding torps.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.