True OFFLINE mode versus AI (Steam offline mode)

Hello, during the alpha and beta you guys promised that once the game is released we will be able to play versus bots (local play) without an active internet connection.
It was stated that OFFLINE support is not available during the beta phase but will surely be there when the game is released.
However, I found out today that the "unable to log in to online platform services" error persists even after version 1.0 was released.
This feature is highly important to me. It's why I asked several times during the development and once during a developer stream if it was going to be present.
What gives ?
Why can't we access the game at all in Steam OFFLINE mode ? Why can't we still play with bots without an internet connection ?

last edited by AxonImpulse

Any feedback ? Will this feature be available or not ?

Thank you.

Even though I'm not particularly interested in this feature, I still have moments when I'm out of internet connexion, so... I still can relate to this. I'd like to see local play being accessible even when not connected to the internet.

It just would make the game better for everyone without any additional cost anyway, so at the end of the day... why not simply do it ?

last edited by Grumf

@grumf said in True OFFLINE mode versus AI (Steam offline mode):

Even though I'm not particularly interested in this feature, I still have moments when I'm out of internet connexion, so... I still can relate to this. I'd like to see local play being accessible even when not connected to the internet.
It just would make the game better for everyone without any additional cost anyway, so at the end of the day... why not simply do it ?

Thank you for your support.

Any updates ? Why the radio silence ? Please don't act like EA or worse by making the game "always online".

Alongside the excellent game play, being able to play offline, without an internet connection when I need to, was one of the main selling points for me.

Thanks !

Thanks for promising something, not keeping your word and then acting like it never happened.
That's really professional.

Hi there,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I missed your messages. Sincerely sorry about this. I've poked the team to find out what's going on with it.

last edited by Iyagovos

Thank you very much for your answer, I'm waiting for your response when you will have feedback from the dev team.

It would also understandable if for offline support without an internet connection you guys will restrict access to the player customization menu if you think there might be issues with people taking advantage of that.

I just want to be able to play matches against the AI without an internet connection. For the times when I really, really have no means of getting online.

Sorry for being so demanding about this, but I really like the game and it really sucks to be completely locked out when I can't get online.

Hey there,

So, you are able to play offline vs bots through the "Local Play" option in the game but, with that said, you still need to be connected to NWI services to be able to play Insurgency: Sandstorm, which does require an active internet connection.

I'm sorry for any disappointment this causes, and appreciate that our messaging did paint another picture, and have passed on the requests for a true offline mode, but can't promise anything at the moment.

Thank you for your reply, but that is really disappointing.

It means that if I don't have an internet connection I'm effectively locked out of the game. It is the definition of the worst possible kind of DRM: always online DRM.

Considering the constructive attitude and open nature of the communication surrounding this project I did not expect such a move from you guys to be honest. Always online DRM is the main reason why I'm not touching anything EA or Ubisoft puts out.

No functionality whatsoever... I would understand if it would involve not being able to play vs. other people, but that is the whole purpose of having an offline mode. To play it offline.

If I have an internet connection I will for sure be playing the game with other people.

You guys were supposed to be the alternative...the ones that still listen and are not driven by a corporate machine.

Please, please look intro providing true offline support for the future even if it means blocking access to the customization without an internet connection. I would understand that if you want to introduce microtransactions later.

I would be totally OK not to have access to my custom character and play as a generic soldier as long as I can still play offline.

Please, please reconsider this.

I'm on an intermittent connection for next weeks so I'm not able to play at all during downtime.

I would very much prefer to play against bots than to not play at all.

Having the game on my SSD and not being able to start it if I'm not online is really annoying.

Sorry for insisting so much on this topic, but is there a chance that it could be implemented in one of the upcoming updates ? Please ?

This is something that should not take a lot of work and can give some options to play when the internet is down or you just don't feel like getting insulted by a 12 year old.
I'd like to see some options on bot difficulty and maybe even a"lone wolf" option so its just you vs the world.

A shooting range would be cool too...

Don't tell me this is not included in the game!! Please, NWI! Add this feature/gamemode! 😞

last edited by 1v4n94

It's in the game, bots behave very well, but you need an online connection to use it which is not really OK. If you don't have a connection you're basically locked out of the game.
Hope NWI can find it in their hearts to add this feature.

Dear developers, could you please add this option for the February build ?

I swear it's not fun to be locked out of the game in Steam Offline mode.

Thank you !