SpinTiresMod How To Install and Discussion

@MudHappy @GumbootGambler

The 4gig patch does work, You have to delete the .ogg file then run the editor
This will create another .ogg file

Sometimes you may have to take out the plugin file as well

The reason this is happening is the plugin pulls info for the wrong .exe and the info doesn't line up.

@roughrider I've been using the SpinTiresMudRunnerEditor4GbPatched.exe for the editor, and the MudRunner4GbPatched.exe for the game. Both seem to be working alright. Though neither one opens Steam first. Which I assume is intentional. I'm guessing it's so people running pirated versions don't get some kind of "Steam is not installed" warning. Or maybe it's just to make it easier to run them in offline mode. Or both. I dunno. Just guesses. All I do know is it didn't used to be like that with earlier versions. And it's been a minor PITA making sure Steam is running first beforehand. But I've gotten used to it. And it is somewhat convenient, at times, to be able to start the game up in offline mode quickly like that. Like when I'm testing manually installed mods, and don't want to wait 5 FRICKING MINUTES for the game to load.

last edited by MudHappy

spintiresmod 1.6.11 is out with alot of new thing

At first I thought "well that sucks...cause I ain't gonna install that broken ass 18/03/06b(eta) version of the game just so I can use it". But come to find out the game's already on the new 18/03/06(non-b) version. Which seems to be working fine. Nice! Wrong. See post below.

And look at all these new goodies!
0_1522658086681_STM 1.6.11 Advanced Options.jpg

last edited by MudHappy

@mudhappy can you confirm this is working with regular non beta version of the game

@MudHappy
Did you get that "non-beta" version number when running STMod, or when running the stock exe? Remember, AlexNez could plug in whatever version number he feels like into that exe, it doesn't get the version number from anywhere but internally as far as I can tell...
I only ask because my stock exe (dropped STMod for the time being while I enjoy the dynamic weather mod) still shows as 18/01/29b and I'm not running the beta of Mudrunner...

@joridiculous said in How to install SpintiresMod v1.6.10 (Mudrunner Plus) Enable Dev tools, battery winch, and much more!:

What the heck?

That's exactly how the beta was acting for me. Manually installed maps no worky.

But...

@drgonzo1489 said in How to install SpintiresMod v1.6.10 (Mudrunner Plus) Enable Dev tools, battery winch, and much more!:

@mudhappy can you confirm this is working with regular non beta version of the game

I can confirm it isn't working. Manually installed maps don't work. UNLESS you have a save to load from. Then you can play them. Which is what threw me off initially. It started up my game from where I had it saved in a manually installed map. So I ASSumed it was now working.

I can also confirm it is working. Because...

@mexican_420 said in How to install SpintiresMod v1.6.10 (Mudrunner Plus) Enable Dev tools, battery winch, and much more!:

@MudHappy
Did you get that "non-beta" version number when running STMod, or when running the stock exe? Remember, AlexNez could plug in whatever version number he feels like into that exe, it doesn't get the version number from anywhere but internally as far as I can tell...

I only get it from running MudRunner4GbPatched.exe. Which shows the version as 18/03/06. And the game acts as though the beta version(18/03/06b) is installed. Manually installed maps won't load unless from a save. But workshop maps do show up, and are playable(even without the beta installed). HOWEVER, if I use the stock exe the game shows the version as 18/01/29b and everything works fine(exc. no workshop maps obviously). INCLUDING STM v.1.6.11. Which I wouldn't expect, except it's stated that "Also some older versions are supported". Evidently 18/01/29b is one of those versions.

Bottom line: I don't get exactly what's going on yet. It appears that running the game with the MudRunner4GbPatched.exe breaks the game. Which sucks. I guess I'll try pulling the old 4GB patch off the shelf and using that instead. I'll probably try installing the beta again too, just to see what happens.

last edited by MudHappy

@MudHappy
It's because the modded exe and the stock exe are mutually exclusive. Modded exe is basically stand-alone, and it's the d3d9.dll that allows STMod functionality in game started via stock/official exe.

Ok. So I tried the beta version again. And the beta version name has, evidently, officially been changed from 18/03/06b to 18/03/06. So that explains that. And manually installed maps still don't work with it. So that explains that too.

So unless something changes between now and the official update, it looks like we're going to have to choose between workshop maps with no custom assets, or the same approach to custom maps as we've been taking all along and sticking with an older version of the game... 😕

It seems like such a stupid thing to me. Like how could they possibly mess that up? All workshop content, maps and vehicle mods, are in the same folder. All manually installed maps and vehicle mods are in a different folder. How did they make it so that manually installed maps don't work, but manually installed vehicle mods still do?. It seems like it would take some effort to make that happen. Like they did it intentionally for some stupid reason.

We could debate the merits of even having maps in the workshop in the first place. I understand why some folks are wanting it so badly, and are so excited to get it. Personally though, I don't want it at all. I don't feel like it solves any real problem. Works just fine for me as it is. So to me it's an "if it ain't broke...DON'T FIX IT!" thing. Why? For the same reasons that applies to anything. You might just end up breaking it in the process of trying to "make it better". And you will usually end up adding some complexity to an otherwise simpler system. Which violates the K.I.S.S. principle(Keep It Simple Stupid!). Because added complexity = more things to go wrong = bad idea...almost invariably.

@mudhappy this 100%..... so basically as it stands now you can use stock exe for the new mudrunner mod to work just without workshop maps and 4gb patch? Am I reading this right cause I'm all over no damage, no suspension damage!

Run game from steam or use original exe if you have 18/01/29b version. 4Gb patch only for 18/03/06 Beta version. If you want 4Gb patch for 18/10/29b version, take him from STM v.1.6.10.

STG map format has been changed in 18/03/06 version, that's why older maps won't work.

last edited by blasc

@MudHappy
Couldn't agree more. Only reason I ever gave 2 shats about maps being available thru the Workshop was because I knew how much of a factor user-made content was going to be regarding the overall longevity of the game. Now that I've gotten accustomed to acquiring these from other sources, I could care less about workshop maps, especially if having them is going to negate all the maps I've already got that work just fine with the current version of the game.
"Fix/add" one thing, break 5 things. It's becoming an old joke with this game (one which definitely isn't funny)...

@blasc doesn't work for me since I want 4gb patch and new mod bits like no damage, no suspension damage 4gb patch from old version will revert to old mod settings yea?

last edited by DrGoNzO1489