Sudden "Lost connection to server", with no indication of connection issues

(copied from https://steamcommunity.com/app/581320/discussions/0/3216031607494441632/)

I just built myself a brand new PC, and I keep getting "lost connection to server" with this game. Everything else works fine, and there's no sign of any lag or packet drop before it happens. Worked fien on the old PC. It happens very often (in fact, I haven't managed to finish the last 3 maps).

Unfortunately, it's making the game nearly unplayable (since it tends to happen after only a few minutes).

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

EDIT: Just to clarify: This is not the old issue of people being dropped if they load for too long.

I'm playing the game, and without any indication of connection issues, it just suddenly gets dropped.

Specs:

Old PC: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, GTX 960, Win 7 64-bit
New PC: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, RTX 2080, Win10 64-bit

Addendum: It happens after 15 seconds to 10 minutes of gameplay (give or take). A friend I was playing with told me there is no message server-side, I just drop out, as if I left. Then I get this: https://i.imgur.com/2EqxUOw.jpg

You can play on dedicated servers without any lost connection issues. You don't get any EXP, it sucks but at least you can play.

last edited by Niska

Bump. Still looking for a solution ...

I have been experiencing the exact same issue. I know it's about to happen, because all of the character models will freeze in place, or keep moving in a straight line, and my gun has unlimited ammo. I have not been able to play a full round at all lately, and it's basically unplayable, yet I never had this issue during the beta. I tried verifying the files though steam, it did say that something failed to verify, and steam downloaded a 3.1 GB update. I hoped that fixed it, but it did not.

@xdwoodx said in Sudden "Lost connection to server", with no indication of connection issues:

I have been experiencing the exact same issue. I know it's about to happen, because all of the character models will freeze in place, or keep moving in a straight line, and my gun has unlimited ammo. I have not been able to play a full round at all lately, and it's basically unplayable, yet I never had this issue during the beta. I tried verifying the files though steam, it did say that something failed to verify, and steam downloaded a 3.1 GB update. I hoped that fixed it, but it did not.

It's not the same issue for me. There are no connection issues whatsoever. I can be walking around and shooting and things (and my VOIP buddy confirms it), then I get disconnected.

My Friend is having a Similar Issue since release, when trying to connect to any Server keeps getting the same Host Closed Connection error

Bump. Anyone? Even support is not answering... Focus Home Interactive support is sending me to New World Interactive support, but the latter's not replying.

It's now been a month and a half since I've mailed NWI support.

last edited by DarkUranium

Hello @DarkUranium,

Thank you for pointing out this issue. I've passed it on to the dev team.
Can you check your firewall, please? And have you given the authorizations to the game and the anti-cheat when installing?

last edited by chaton

@chaton said in Sudden "Lost connection to server", with no indication of connection issues:

Hello @DarkUranium,

Thank you for pointing out this issue. I've passed it on to the dev team.
Can you check your firewall, please? And have you given the authorizations to the game and the anti-cheat when installing?

Hi. The firewall on the computer is offline, and I know it's not the firewall in the router, because

1. it's set to pass all outgoing packets (and after that, the connection's established anyhow), and
  2. it works from a different computer.

I'd like to emphasize that this issue started on (or around) Dec 1st. It's been a problem ever since.

This specific message refers to desync between you and the server meaning an actual connection issue whether it is packet loss, high latency to the server, firewall or other security software blocking the game or intercepting the connection, Windows related networking issues, and so on.
It is also possibly that the server crashed/froze which would result in this message in some instances (it usually should spit Timed Out message instead).

@darkuranium Are you suggesting that the game works on different computer in the same network ?

@arc said in Sudden "Lost connection to server", with no indication of connection issues:

This specific message refers to desync between you and the server meaning an actual connection issue whether it is packet loss, high latency to the server, firewall or other security software blocking the game or intercepting the connection, Windows related networking issues, and so on.
It is also possibly that the server crashed/froze which would result in this message in some instances (it usually should spit Timed Out message instead).

I doubt it's a typical desync because I can be playing literally fractions of a second before losing connection with no sign of desync --- as confirmed by a friend I played with when I dropped and my own experience (e.g. everyone is changing direction of movement [implying I'm getting recent movement data], I can actually kill things, stuff like that).
It's not security software --- I've installed more things since (though no security software, specifically), but at the time of first issue, it was a completely fresh install of Windows ... Insurgency was one of the very first things I installed (right after Steam [duh], Firefox, and a few other basics such as Notepad 2). Windows Firewall was already offline at the time, because I rely on pfsense for that.
It's not a server crash/freeze because my friend that I play with doesn't get dropped (or anybody else, for that matter).

Being a UE4 developer myself, I know how to (roughly --- obviously, details depend on the game) identify desync issues in server-client configurations, and I think this isn't it.

I can try recording a video of what happens (though it might not be clear that there's no "usual" desync before the drop, depending on what I'm doing ... that'll only be obvious if I happen to drop in the middle of a firefight). (see update below)

@darkuranium Are you suggesting that the game works on different computer in the same network ?

If you mean same physical switch, that's TBD (but all other games work). But it is the same LAN (and thus router & modem). The setup is roughly modem --(GbE)-- router --(GbE)-- switch --(GbE)-- PC. Removing the switch out of the equation is not viable, so I can't test this.

I did since move the other (working) computer within the LAN, and can give it another shot, right after I redownload the game (it's now connected to the same switch as this one). That said, this is the only game I have these problems in, and I play many other online games (FPS or not) --- dozens --- with no sign of any connection issues whatsoever. So I doubt this is the problem, but I can still give it a shot for good measure.

Update: The video is now available. Note the low ping, and recent shots at me by the NPCs (and not full auto, either), implying no connection issues before the disconnect.

Could you please use a matchmaking server (Join Game button), have a match, once it kicks you out grab client log from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Insurgency\Saved\Logs, submit it here as soon as possible. That way we can grab server-side log and compare what went wrong.

@arc It took a bit of time for me to lose connection for some reason, but here you go: https://stdrand.com/data/Insurgency-ConnectionLossIssue/Insurgency.log.zip

I used Alt+F4 to exit this time (when I saw the message, without exiting back to menu first), to try and reduce the amount of noise in the log.

Edit: Perhaps it might be important to mention that I did get an email reply from support at the end; basically at more or less the same moment as your initial reply, which is why I haven't mentioned it.

@arc This same exact issue is happening to me as well

Literally same problem happening to me. Help

I'm having the same problem, it happened twice in a row for me so far.

Same is happening to me aswell the last few weeks i cant play at all. I get kicked for no reason with a good connection. Its really getting irritating. Ready to give up.

Happened to me 1 time in 200 hours, and today it keeps happening to me "Lost connection to server" 3 games in a row. Ain't got no software blocking anything and my internet is fine.
I don't know if NWI downgraded their servers or something but it seem like there wasn't any of these problems before the patch in december.

last edited by Rudged