American Wilds Update 27/12/2018

@stazco said in American Wilds Update 27/12/2018:

So when this update will land on consoles?

Yeah im wondering the same @chaton , any chance you could tell us anything yet?

I guess no monthly update for January?

@kingnightshadow Let's hope we hear some news of MR2 in February as they have said.

@deathcoreboy1 said in American Wilds Update 27/12/2018:

@kingnightshadow Let's hope we hear some news of MR2 in February as they have said.

since they're still updating the editor constantly (my guess is it will still be used for MR2) i'm sure MR2 won't be anything new or "groundbreaking" anyway.

i'm still hoping for a real overhaul from the ground up but... 🤷♂

@hydrowasul I don't think there's a need to be so negative. Fundamentally there's nothing wrong with the current engine. I feel it's well optimized for the average gaming PC and it runs very smoothly in most situations, yet still looks sharp. Let the devs pursue what they think is best for MR2. If MR2 is a significant improvement from MR1 even if it uses the same engine, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

But I am certainly hoping for more change than what we saw between SpinTires and MudRunner. At the minimum I'd expect to see proper dashboards with functional gauges, not the current generic 2D panel. And a better looking / 3D winch rope and maybe higher-definition / smaller-chunk mud. Stuff like that.

last edited by Unster

@unster yeah all that but a lot more needs to be overhauled, lots of "under the hood" things too to fit a 2018-2020 game... things like 64 bit, dynamic shadows/lighting (hopefully with DX11/12 and vulkan support), proper bump/normal/displacement mapping, "real" reflection mapping, camera/FOV customization with mirror support for cockpit view etc.
that's what i'm hoping for, but that probably requires lots of things to be rebuilt from the ground up

@hydrowasul
Yes it will be a 2018-2020 game, but you also have to consider the budget. I don't think it'll be a $60 premium game. Anyway, a lot of the items you mention (some we already have, like dynamic shadows) can probably be worked into the existing graphics engine. And whether the game is 32 or 64-bit, does it really matter? I know the game runs on my 64-bit Windows 10, so it may already be, or it's backward-compatible, I'm not sure which.

last edited by Unster

@unster it has dynamic shadows on the vehicle you're currently in and static models, and only from static lights and the "sun". the vehicle's lights don't cast shadows and other vehicles that you're not using don't either. i'm sure it can be worked into the current engine, but that requires it to be updated and recoded.
and the 64 bit as absolutely needed, because you can see the engine working already on the limit regarding memory usage when using mods with higher res textures, especially in multiplayer.
and yes, a 64 bit OS can run 32 bit applications, but they're limited to use 2GB of memory only

@hydrowasul I agree regarding the shadows and the benefits of a 64-bit application. I noticed right from the beginning that the headlights don't cast shadows. But the shadows are still dynamic by definition. Just not all lights cast them.

32-bit applications are limited to 4GB of memory I believe, not 2. And I have seen some applications not being able to run in a 64-bit OS. I wonder if they were 16-bit then? I'm talking about some very old games.

Personally. Mudrunner 2 shouldn't be thought of yet, it should be at least 3-5 years of development. Not a year at best

@kingnightshadow only has it been a year? MR is just an updated version of the original Spintires. MR2 i would hope will be a whole new version. so if looked at that way the game is already 5 years old. 🤔

@8up-local i highly doubt they were working on mudrunner since spintires came out, but what I meant was they are rushing. It's to early for a sequel. At least give mudrunner 3-5 years before mudrunner 2. At this point, I doubt I'll get mudrunner 2 unless it brings to the table something great. Being a console player, I don't get the luxury of mods lol

@kingnightshadow
I wouldn't go as far as asking the devs to delay MR2, but I agree with your sentiment. I'm in no rush to get my hands on MR2 either, assuming MR1 will continue to get updates. I'd also rather wait and have a whole new experience with MR2 than a slightly polished MR1 called MR2.

@unster I do have a demand. Working rear view mirrors. It is a pain to back trailers in to position when I wanna do a bit of cockpit only with my g920. On a side note. I've noticed the brake doesn't wanna hold like it should. Could be the rubber block in the brake tho. I'm gonna remove it later and see. Luckily from what I can tell, we on console don't have to deal with the firmware update that made the brake have a steep curve instead of smooth 1-100. Now, if you updated. I have not, it goes 1-75/100. Oh and one more demand, if anymore vehicles are to be added, could we get some more military vehicles please.

@hydrowasul said in American Wilds Update 27/12/2018:

@unster it has dynamic shadows on the vehicle you're currently in and static models, and only from static lights and the "sun". the vehicle's lights don't cast shadows and other vehicles that you're not using don't either. i'm sure it can be worked into the current engine, but that requires it to be updated and recoded.
and the 64 bit as absolutely needed, because you can see the engine working already on the limit regarding memory usage when using mods with higher res textures, especially in multiplayer.
and yes, a 64 bit OS can run 32 bit applications, but they're limited to use 2GB of memory only

Totally with you on this! well said.

@kingnightshadow
Yes working mirrors would be a fine addition, as would a realistic looking dashboard. That's something that could be added even to MR1, but I doubt it will happen.

No issue with brake sensitivity in the PC version of MR.

@unster it was the rubber block in the break pedal. The breaks are fine now that I took it out

Wow, good job! No nov, dec and jan com updates, no need in feb!

And no last patch (with redone maps) on consoles!

Devs and publ should be proud...

Must be working on something really good, and highly top secret.