why no flashlight?

why is there no flashlight? because some pepegas whined about being blinded?

last edited by Depleted

They are confirmed to be added latter, along with NODs, once night maps are added.

@maa_bunny said in why no flashlight?:

They are confirmed to be added latter, along with NODs, once night maps are added.

It baffles me how many people don't understand the point of flashlights. Do you REALLY want to use them at night to get spotted? Do you /really/ think they're here to see better? And most importantly, didn't you see that they put them in insurgency waaaay before night maps were in?

Military flashlights aren't used in order for you to see better, they're made to blind enemies in close quarter combat, and they were great at that in insurgency. Would be top if they could add the actual proper version, that blinks in order for the target not to be able to know where the flashlight operator is. But it might be a bit too unbalanced.

Regardless we absolutely need them again

@tohkai said in why no flashlight?:

It baffles me how many people don't understand the point of flashlights. Do you REALLY want to use them at night to get spotted? Do you /really/ think they're here to see better?

I'm just relaying what I know. Yes, they would be nice to have right now, but the plan is to implement them with with a night map add-on. It's also possible things have changed since I last heard that this was the plan. I'm not a dev, I don't really know what I'm talking about in this regard.

Yes, weaponlights are useful at night. Yes, they are used to illuminate and ID targets. Yes, they are also used to blind enemies. All of these things are true, it's not an either-or thing. They're even useful with NODs, especially with an IR filter. (But we've also got the PEQ-15s for that already, not that it matters much, since NODs won't be implemented realistically anyway).

Strobe is a touchy subject. Some people hate it in a weapon light and never use it. Others swear by it. (Having been on the receiving end of strobing weapon lights in CQB, I think they're pretty effective.) I certainly wouldn't say that a strobing weapon light is "proper" - there are plenty of proper weapon lights that do not have a strobe function. In a game, my guess is there would be some fairly significant epilepsy concerns that may keep them from implementing it.

Ideally, we'd have NODs, head-mounted IR strobes for identification of friendly forces, trip flares, and white phosphorous grenades.

@depleted said in why no flashlight?:

? because some pepegas whined about being blinded

Could you please link me the page/video where that was said? I've been looking for more info on the Devs' plans for updates and new content, but if you could give me the link I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!