Items to improve
  • Make buildings breakable
  • Remove completely the red area, the map itself should delimit where you can play
  • Rocks look like you can climb on them but you can't even get close to them, something is blocking but it's transparent (maybe it's the rock model itself)
  • Some bushes you can't get into or go through

I understad that the 1st one is a difficult one but the rest are basically mandatory to fix.

The red area is annoying, here I can't clear a building I'm going through to get to the objective:

Youtube Video

I think the red zones just need a rework to not be so close to AO.

I agree 100% about the impenetrable bushes. You should be able to pass through them but nope. Has got me killed in the river a few times. If the idea is to stop bush wookies sitting in them, make the foliage disperse when someone is on it. Can't be that hard to swap the 3D model when player is in the area and remove the collision full stop?

Another one, similar to the rocks issue but more annoying is the gentle slopes that cannot be walked up despite being <10 degrees. Even the techies can't get up some of these.

The only thing mandatory is some restricted area tweaks.

Because of the red area, you cannot make a strategy, surround a building (f.i.) because you can't go through the back part of it due to the red area, it sucks soooooo bad!!!

I hope at least some of the devs read this forum.

Another issue: throwing granades is soooo slow, it almost looks like the guys are at vacations, no in a war.

last edited by IceAge

Red zones only on official NWI servers. Custom servers will be withous red zones.
/thread

Red zones only on official NWI servers. Custom servers will be withous red zones.

This actually makes the problem only worse whenever someone used to be able to do flanking and clearing properly happens to play on official server runs into this sudden limitation.

Breakable buildings would make the supports super overpowered, just drop the objective building on top of the defenders by pounding it with artillery... of If destroying the target you're trying to take would lead to attacker defeat then the defenders could bring it down for victory (quite phyrric, since they were supposed to defend the building...)

This is not R6 Siege, everything would have to be completely redesigned from game balance and map design perspective even if just parts of walls were suddenly breakable.

@mashiara said in Items to improve:

This actually makes the problem only worse

If you played the Insurgency u'll know that the servers warn players about that.

happens to play on official server runs into this sudden limitation.

This is war, huh?

Knowing it and remembering it are two different things, not that it matters that much, it's just annoying when the zone is so close to the objective that you can't even clear the neighbouring building when you're coming to flank so the objective can be attacked from multiple directions simultaneously.

Apart from preventing spawn camping (which should be easy to do without restricting flanking so much) I see no point for the red zone but if someone has a good and proper explanation why they need to be so tight I'm interested to hear it.

Regarding building destruction:
If the support would be overpowered, then limit the number of support calls.

Regarding red zone:
I agree with mashiara, there is no point in red zone! They should be over spawn areas ONLY. And even so, there should be decent space between red zone and a capturable area, otherwise you can't really do any strategy. In some cases they are so close as half of a building from a capturable area.

@mashiara said in Items to improve:

This is not R6 Siege, everything would have to be completely redesigned from game balance and map design perspective even if just parts of walls were suddenly breakable.

Yah, Siege has probobly spent more development resources making breakable environments balanced than NWI has to spend on the entirety of Sandstorm. Ubisoft keeps making changes and updates to tweak the balance of maps, even ones that have been used for pro e-sports competition for years. And Siege maps are a fraction of the size of Sandstorm maps. It's just not practical to implement in this type of game, unfortunately, unless it was implemented in co-op only or something.

@iceage said in Items to improve:

• Some bushes you can't get into or go through

Makes sense, bushes are alarmingly resistant to people walking through them in the real world. Hell, people used to grow large bushes as defensive walls. I've encountered bushes plenty of times I couldn't crawl or move through even without tactical gear and a rifle.

@iceage I think the current speed of throwing grenades works well with the rest of the games pacing.
Explosives are powerful in Insurgancy, a single grenade can usually clear out a whole room.

I think it would be overpowered if you could toss one on whim, at the moment you have to think for a moment. ''Do i have enough time to toss one in this room or should i keep my gun up?''

Making buildings breakable is bad. It is a gimmicky mechanic that hurts long time players because of map knowlage. It also would further decrease performance. I would be very disapointed in NWI if that was added.

@mashiara Some tweaks here and there to the restricted area locations would be welcome.

For the most part however, i feel like they are there to keep the game play balanced for the current objective and prevent you from simply walking up to where the bots spawn and mowing them down as they pop in. I could be wrong but i don't see another reason for it.

re protecting spawn zones. I think the bots do not spawn in single zone per objective like players do (nor should they).

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/34162/a-bot-killed-4-players-on-our-spawn-point (and the other topic linked from there) is related.

Anyway bots (or players) should never spawn within sight-lines of players (or bots).

In fact players too could have multiple spawn zones per objective and respawning as a group into random one (would also make spawn camping more difficult in PvP).