Mudrunner future

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am playing mudrunner on Xbox One. I love it.
I know some people did not really like american wilds but for me it was awesome. I really like the trucks and cars. The Bison looks like a toy truck I had as a child.

The thing is, that I am never really informed about mudrunner-related stuff.
Basically I hear about DLCs on the day they are released.

What I now found out is, that there might be one last DLC for mudrunner and mudrunner 2 is in developement.
Is that true?

And is anything known about the plans for the dlc and mudrunner 2?
Will MR2 have a career, customization and more "known" trucks?

@rage607 I'd say you've been reading correctly. I wouldn't be able to officially confirm that, but I'd say you've got the jest of everything.

We're supposed to learn more about Mudrunner 2 next month.

Pretty much how things are. We don't really know anything until it launches.

Unfortunately Focus uses the 2K tactic of not telling us jack all until a dlc or game releases.

I remember being on the THQ forums years ago (the old THQ, not THQ Nordic), and man they're community management team would hype their next game to no end. They'd be giving us Dev details months in advance hyping the next WWE or Saint's Row game and it was awesome. It was very effective, and I was excited for every new game coming out. It doesn't mean every new game was actually good, but I was hyped for them and as such almost every year THQ seen $60 from me.

Focus or 2K? No word from the devs at all, very little if any hype. When one of their dlc's come out I'm like "huh neat I guess, I'll buy it eventually, probably when on sale."

I don't get this business tactic of "shut up and don't say nothing". Don't companies want to hype up their games? Have Community Managers leak out little tib bits of info from the dev's to let players know what's being worked, thus hyping them up and getting them willing to spend their cash?

How did this "shut up and don't leak nothing" tactic become the norm? And why do companies believe this is actually a effective way to sell game/dlc?

@justinlynch3 around the time assassin's Creed unity and no man's sky was over hyped and failed completely on launch

@justinlynch3
Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you were not on this forum yet before the AW DLC came out. There were extensive announcements and I'd say even hype about the upcoming trucks. I think this DLC was communicated fine. What we don't hear much about is what bugs if any they'll be fixing, but I always prefer action over talk, so I don't mind if they don't talk about it if they do release a patch every now and then. The more fixes the better, assuming they are good fixes.

last edited by Unster

@unster would also be nice if they would actually listen to us before deciding if a feature is needed or not and useful before changing, adding or removing it. so funny how they hop onto some things quickly, while other things are still broken/needed since release.

@unster said in Mudrunner future:

@justinlynch3
Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you were not on this forum yet before the AW DLC came out. There were extensive announcements and I'd say even hype about the upcoming trucks. I think this DLC was communicated fine. What we don't hear much about is what bugs if any they'll be fixing, but I always prefer action over talk, so I don't mind if they don't talk about it if they do release a patch every now and then. The more fixes the better, assuming they are good fixes.

I remember getting that one very short trailer which youtubers picked apart best they could for any scrap of news they could get, and at some point we get a basic rundown of the vehicles. That post is on the forums here somewhere.

Not exactly a huge amount of info, bore like they gave out the bare bone basics for promoting a DLC.

But maybe I missed some stuff.

@8up-local Agreed! it appears that 'they' don't listen to us, (or don't really care).
also most of the hype surrounding MR as a whole is generated by the community, 'They' offer a dribble of info, and then the flood gates open with all kinds of speculation and generous amounts of imagination. Hurry up and wait seems to be the normal.

@rufus actually after thinking about what i said about them listen to us more, i forgot it goes both ways. after all it was the reason behind the mud becoming far too easy. the devs listened, but to the wrong voices. of course then again how are they to know exactly who they really need to listen to or who is just blowing hot air for something wanted personally for themselves. 🤔

@8up-local Yup. Listening doesn't mean they need to implement everything that every poster asks for. But listening should help them understand what the community is generally asking for. If there are conflicting opinions, say on the mud traction, their best bet would be to implement both in different difficulty levels. I'd like see hardcore mode become truly hardcore, where everything is as realistic as possible. Keep the casual mode for those who can't handle real mud. 🙂

Well, suggestions are always something someone personally wants, no? I would think it's rare that someone suggests something they aren't personally interested in. But your point still stands. Ultimately it's up to them to design the "right" game. Sometimes decisions are made according to the developers' vision. Sometimes according to community desires. A mix of both is probably good. We have to rely on them analysing the data that is community feedback in the appropriate way.

@lombra I think they mean that the devs aren't really looking through what the community people want, they're just going with what certain sources have said. Seems kinda lazy, but I've always thought that this game and it's devs has kinda not listened in general since the beginning. Kinda like they formed a game THEY wanted.

I'm not sure I agree. I believe that at the very least, there will be a community manager or similar that is reading the posts on the forums and communicating back to the dev team.

What you need to bear in mind though s that this community manager is possibly managing the same for a whole bunch of other games as well, and possibly involved in promoting at events.

Additionally, development resource is limited, and the direction taken by the production team will be mandated based on a whole bunch of other factors. Anyone around long enough will remember the game went through a very interesting early history, with ownership changing hands (and no doubt some internal politics there) and then the spintires to mudrunner rework. I'm sure in the middle of this there were a number of massive changes in the dev teams and code ownership which required significant rework. Then the porting to PS/XB and following that Nintendo. Each of these would require a significant review of the code for porting. Also likely a significant need to review the code structure so that development and porting can be done relatively painlessly from the same code stream, rather than trying to manage multiple parallel code streams. I wouldn't be surprised if much of the reason that changes weren't quickly implemented is because nobody wanted to revisit the code.

All this means that a finite development resource had enough on their plates with their given strategic release plans that there was likely little time to review anything non-critical.

MR2 will give the dev an opportunity to start from scratch, taking what is good and usable from MR and reworking it into a development/deployment schema that is manageable based on their new release strategies. Or at least this is what they SHOULD be doing. Bear in mind that the challenge still remains that there is likely a finite development resource and time limit and a significant amount of work to do. One of the key issues that will still exist is how they manage the PC/Console divide, especially when you have consoles like the Switch that are significantly under powered compared to the next gen 4k consoles and todays best gamer PCs. They need to provide best experience, but do so without damaging the playability when ported to lower performance devices.

My only wishes is that they focus on features that extend the lifetime of the gameplay and stay away from the new trend of in game purchases. Bug fixes and Playability please!!!!!