Console Force Feedback Discussion

It is basically what it sounds like, just a box with "extra" buttons that you can assign to different functions for in game uses. A great thing to have with a game like MudRunner.

Maybe I misunderstood though and you only need the one button and you're set. Either way, could be a thought for you in the future. 🙂

@torotoker Got it. No, I don't need a button box. Don't forget, I'm already on a PC and my button box is called the keyboard. 🙂

Listen Unster, I don't need your relentless logic. Just smile and nod and let me think I did a thing. Haha.

@unster yeah I'ma on Xbox. Been saving up for a computer but life's been annoying lol

Can confirm, force feedback is broken/nonexistent on PS4. I have a similar setup, T300 Alcantera wheel with T3PA pedals and TH8A shifter. I was super disappointed to discover this after buying the game, and even bought the DLC hoping it had a bugfix, but no luck.

Through a bit of experimentation, I've determined that the game just flat out doesn't initialize the wheel's force feedback settings at all. The wheel maintains a strong progressive centering force, as if you never even started the game. In fact, you can exploit this lack of initialization to enable a workaround which at least gets rid of the strong centering force, making the game more tolerable to play despite the lack of real force feedback:

• Download the Project CARS 2 demo from PS store. Activate your wheel as your primary controller by pressing the PS button or equivalent, then start the Project CARS 2 demo.

• Let the demo load to the title screen, where it says 'Press X to start engine'. Try turning your wheel now; it should turn freely with no centering force. If you like this feel, press the PS button to go back to the PS4 dashboard and immediately launch Mudrunner. Since Mudrunner doesn't re-initialize the force feedback, this feel will persist while playing the game allowing easy one-finger steering, but no centering at all.

• Alternatively, press X on the Project CARS 2 demo title screen. The wheel activates with a small jolt, and the intro video starts playing. Now when you turn the wheel there will be a mild linear centering force. If you like this feel, press the PS button to go back to the PS4 dashboard and immediately launch Mudrunner. Since Mudrunner doesn't re-initialize the force feedback, this feel will persist while playing the game. The wheel returns to center in a smooth controlled manner, giving the illusion of steering feel despite the lack of actual feedback effects.

Basically since Mudrunner never initializes the force feedback system, whatever settings were loaded by the last game you played get retained in the wheel's memory. This can have adverse effects if you quit the demo mid-race (wheel may keep trying to turn left or right).

I ended up settling into the routine of following this whole process every time I boot up the game, and found the mild linear centering of the alternative method to be satisfactory. But it sure would be nice if the developers stepped up and implemented real force feedback on PS4! This game is such a tease, so close to greatness yet so frustrating at times due to issues like this.

Just a tip for you. You can actually go into the setting in PCars2 and go to the "menu spribg strength" and you can choose the amount of force you like. I turned mine down to .25 and it's pretty good there. Easy to turn but still spins back to center for quicker steering.

Hope that helps.

last edited by ToroToker

@dustcleaner I kinda enjoy the centering force. It provides a bit more realism. A lot of people once use to driving forget lol when your driving and go around a curve your wheels wanna pull themselves back forward. Plus it seems to help with hardcore mode wheel doesn't want to turn downhill as bad.

@dustcleaner I would definitely concur that the problem is the lack of FFB initialization in Mud Runner, even in the PC version. Luckily in the PC version the initialization can be forced in-game as I mentioned earlier.