Skirmish Rank & Skill Unlock

Hi there,

is it intended that, in skirmish you don't level/rank?
I do understand that ther should be a difference between skirmish and multiplayer but skirmish feels so unsatisfying without leveling, plus if u don't want to engage in multiplayer, you're not able to unlock all skills...

Maybe it's possible to have a second rank for skirmish alone. Multiplayer ranks could be used in skirmish as well but not the other way around, so players that want to engae in multiplayer don't need to rank skirmish from scratch and players that don't want to multiplay don't need to^^

Edit:
the mouse-over Tooltip for Tau explaining mont'ka and Kauyon is missing. In Beta 1 there has been one if i'm correct.

Cheers,
Commander Kendashi

last edited by kendashi

I want to mirror the specific feedback in where upgrades and abilities are LOCKED for Skirmish/MP. I do NOT believe they should be locked because it just adds a barrier of entry for players who want to experiment and try things out. It also doesn't allow you to easily test matchups for other factions, and runs the risk of gating players access to more powerful skills and upgrades that other ranked players have access to.

With that said, I suggest removing the level cap for both Skirmish and MP, but if it must stay, it should stay in MP and NOT for Skirmish. Skrimish should be a true sandbox. Custom games, for that matter (so me inviting a friend to 1v1) should also have everything unlocked.

Agree with both of these posts so much. Not gaining XP against the AI feels incredibly bad, and why not just give us everything in a custom game? I understand why people want to rank up online, but we should be able to test with and play with whatever among friends.

+1. An alternative could be to allow players to gain XP no matter if they're playing SP or MP. So that whether you play exclusively SP, or exclusively MP, or a mixture of both, every time you play a certain faction you'll earn XP and unlock stuff just the same.

@necroledo said in Skirmish Rank:

+1. An alternative could be to allow players to gain XP no matter if they're playing SP or MP. So that whether you play exclusively SP, or exclusively MP, or a mixture of both, every time you play a certain faction you'll earn XP and unlock stuff just the same.

This would be my favourite possible fix. I'm already annoyed that I no longer have skirmish progression, but at least this would be a baby-step in the right direction.

Yeah it was bad enough the fleets arnt things we build and maintain as persistant like in game 1, which really helped them feel like mine, but with zero skirmish progression too.. at the moment this game is likely to be a campaign and forget game for me.

Completely agree. I'm a fan of skirmish and I'd like to use it as a testbase for skills and comps before heading to multiplayer.

Either unlock everything in skirmish, give it a separate xp progression or just mix it with the multiplayer one (perhaps at half speed?)

@paspinall said in Skirmish Rank:

Yeah it was bad enough the fleets arnt things we build and maintain as persistant like in game 1, which really helped them feel like *mine

agree, i am understanding the balancing thing of do this in bfga 2, so u dont play against an overpowered enemy in PvP, but this fleet managment killed the love for a faction and my fleet.

Absolute deal killer for me.

Either make skirmish a sandbox and totally unrelated to MP with no unlocks
Or give skirmish XP.

personally I think unlocks are silly all round, they just gate things and provide barrier to entry, but makng poeple unlock single player things via multiplayer games....nope.

I too echo these views, my favourite part of the original game was levelling up my fleet and fine tuning my ships to fit specific roles in skirmish mode. I literally got every fleet to max rank. Without the upgrading of ships and customisation the fleet makeup just feels inconsequential and I struggle to feel any sense of ownership for them.

My request would be to make the single player skirmish like it was in the original game with the multi player adopting the new format.

Failing that at least allow everything to be unlocked without going into multiplayer.

I personally hate having to grind to unlock anything.

Dunno about yuo guys, but right now (13:36 GMT 0) I can't go multiplayer, but everything is unlocked for skirmish

0_1547732266939_20190117133647_1.jpg

I restarted steam to double check but nope, still locked for me.

@adm_janus said in Skirmish Rank & Skill Unlock:

I restarted steam to double check but nope, still locked for me.

Damn, my game crashed and now the skills and portraits are all locked again 😞

The reason is probably, that the first time your game wasn't connected to internet (when everything is unlocked but no multiplayer), and after restart, it got connected (things locked, but you can play multiplayer).

On Steam discussion, this is a suggested walk-around to play unlocked skirmish - disconnect you internet.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for sharing all your feedback. We've been closely monitoring all of it, and understand that not getting xp in single player skrimish is a big talking point. As we polish the game for the full release next week, we will continue to take your feedback into account when preparing future updates.

@VectorStrike Could you please clarify what happened? Were you not connected to the internet, or perhaps in Steam's offline mode at the time?

@jellyfoosh Yup, my steam sometimes go offline and the game allows me to play with the unlocked skills. If steam goes online before I go to the Battle screen, multiplayer is allowed and the skills become locked.

@VectorStrike If your Steam is going offline, that seems to be an issue with your internet connection or Steam itself. Still, your skills should not be displaying as unlocked. I have forwarded this issue to the team, thanks for letting us know about it!

last edited by Jellyfoosh

@jellyfoosh i remember it doing the same thing for the previous beta. that is unlocking everything if you played the game in offline mode or pulled your internet plug.

@VectorStrike Noooo you doomed us all 😉

@Jellyfoosh
I kinda feel that, not beeing able to progress in skirmish, may be intended to make more people play multiplayer so the game "stays alive" longer. If i'm correct that has been a problem in the first game and if so, could have led to that decision. just my thought on that.
my experience is, beside competitiv gamers that use skirmish as sandbox to test things, casual gamers like to do their own thing from time to time and just want to feel good smashin another fleet in an good old comp stomp. They don't wan't to get slaughtered in multiplayer by people that are much better than them... 😉 jmho