Will they add persistent multiplayer or was this gimped? Please let us customize our fleets again and make meaningful choices with upgrades and emergency jumps.

Hi, will there be a new persistent multiplayer mode or was this just gimped? Now it feels like a regular ranked skirmish multiplayer game. The old gave you a fleet to manage and you could improve and micro manage every little ship. I even tried to jump out of bad battles just to save my captains in BFG 1 if they served the emperor well. Now emergency jumps have no meaning, as in the next fight you can use all your ships fully repaired no matter what.

Also you just click on 4 skills in the beginning and that's it. Where are the tactical decisions, that you want a better ram on one ship and better detection on other ships? This feels like a streamlined version of BFG 1 for the mass market :(. The table top feel is kinda gone.

What made BFG 1 different for me was, that you didn't only fight one battle at the time but always had to think about your next upcoming fight. Is it worth it to go all in, or do you save your resources or ships, so you that you don't get obliterated in your next fight? Do you love your ships enough to try to play save or do you just waste them heads on? Even in the tabletop game you spend hours preparing each ship after you bought them and that was part of the hobby. Now its just "pick 8 anonymous ships and klick on ranked, even though only persistent had an active player base before."

The matches are still fun, but I don't see that much long time motivation. If I want to grind a ranked ladder I can play any other game. The permanency made this different for me and it is gone :(.

yeah they seems to be "it" which is disappointing, beyond the campaign I am more likely to migrate back to the first game than continue here 😞

Progression / fleet management is fun vs AI.

In PvP games I prefer even footing.

And yet its the vs Player that actually has the only sort of progression

@paspinall shhhh you cant let out the secret!

β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–„β–„β–„β–€β–€β–€β–„β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–„β–€β–€β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–‘β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–Œβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–„β–€β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–„β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–‘β–Œβ–€β–€β–‘β–€β–ˆβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–„β–ˆβ–‘β–‘β–„β–€β–€β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–„β–β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–Œβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–β–ˆβ–€β–„β–€β–„β–„β–„β–„β–€β–€β–€β–€β–Œβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–ˆβ–„β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–Œβ–„β–„β–€β–€β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–Œβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘leβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘toucanβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–€β–„β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘hasβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–€β–„β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘arrivedβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–‘β–‘

I am sad to see the loss of single player skirmish progression and ship customisation.

If it remains as it is I too will likely only play for the campaign, the current implementation lacks any attachment to our fleet with little incentive to play multiple games(played single player skirmish for hours at a time in the first game)

@iuiz said in Will they add persistent multiplayer or was this gimped? Please let us customize our fleets again and make meaningful choices with upgrades and emergency jumps.:

Hi, will there be a new persistent multiplayer mode or was this just gimped? Now it feels like a regular ranked skirmish multiplayer game. The old gave you a fleet to manage and you could improve and micro manage every little ship. I even tried to jump out of bad battles just to save my captains in BFG 1 if they served the emperor well. Now emergency jumps have no meaning, as in the next fight you can use all your ships fully repaired no matter what.

Also you just click on 4 skills in the beginning and that's it. Where are the tactical decisions, that you want a better ram on one ship and better detection on other ships? This feels like a streamlined version of BFG 1 for the mass market :(. The table top feel is kinda gone.

What made BFG 1 different for me was, that you didn't only fight one battle at the time but always had to think about your next upcoming fight. Is it worth it to go all in, or do you save your resources or ships, so you that you don't get obliterated in your next fight? Do you love your ships enough to try to play save or do you just waste them heads on? Even in the tabletop game you spend hours preparing each ship after you bought them and that was part of the hobby. Now its just "pick 8 anonymous ships and klick on ranked, even though only persistent had an active player base before."

The matches are still fun, but I don't see that much long time motivation. If I want to grind a ranked ladder I can play any other game. The permanency made this different for me and it is gone :(.

agree full

thinking of refund this game

Glad to see I'm not the only one upset to not see progression in the MP component, was one of my favorite things about the first game. I'm still hoping that it is just an option that isn't open to play as of yet and we'll see it once the game goes live or in an update shortly after launch, I know they stated already that co-op campaigns will be "early access" at launch and hopefully perfected come March so maybe a MP progression mode will be there as well.

All in all I see myself playing the game quite a bit at launch but without the extra customization and progression that came with the first iteration I don't see myself finding quite the same level of enjoyment.

The sheer amount of ships, factions and possible fleet compositions makes for huge replayability though.

I have pumped almost 30 hours into the game now and I have barely started to understand well the IN roster and I only have the vaguest idea about few other. It will take weeks or months before mastering all options.

i dont think it really offers as much replayability as you think it wont take long before the factions are either deemed not usable in pvp or their roster is reduced to 4 or 5 usable ships. Once people figure out what the metas are they are all you will see and you will be forced to choose a meta fleet if you want to compete just because the options are there doesnt mean they will actually be viable.

@imptastic said in Will they add persistent multiplayer or was this gimped? Please let us customize our fleets again and make meaningful choices with upgrades and emergency jumps.:

i dont think it really offers as much replayability as you think it wont take long before the factions are either deemed not usable in pvp or their roster is reduced to 4 or 5 usable ships. Once people figure out what the metas are they are all you will see and you will be forced to choose a meta fleet if you want to compete just because the options are there doesnt mean they will actually be viable.

This right here 100%. Most of the ships in the "options" will be deemed useless after the best builds are discovered. Being able to change abilities, choose specific perks/passives, and just manage and maintain your fleet was both immersive and allowed you to be competitive. You could gear out your ships in your fleet to be able to counter certain builds and then change them if those builds became less commonly used. It was fun and I'll miss it if it's not in this one at launch.

The thing is, that I don't even care so much about winning every single fight and finding the perfect fleet to grind points for my internet score. I liked to play a game where I play as a Warhammer 40k fleet admiral that manages a fleet that encounters multiple enemies and skirmishes. Sometimes there were matches where you execute every captain that tries to jump out of the fight just to let their ship fire one more salvo into the enemies or making them taking the enemy with them when your ships reactors exploded. Duty fulfilled. That was immersive and one of the unique selling points BFGA1 had, that set the game apart from other games where you just grind rank with soulless pixel soldiers. In other matches I felt like "Nah, there is no grudge involved. Let them get the hell out."

Also the worst would be that jumping out just saves you to loose some points and maybe winning the current fight even though you basically lost. It would just feel like loosing for both parties. Winning a fight this way is like denying a victory. For example in the MOBA "Heroes of Newearth" you could concede games and deny the winning team the winning moments where you stormed into their base. When Dota 2, a spiritual successor of HON, did not offer a concede function it was explained with said reasoning and giving everyone the chance to experience a real victory.

However loosing a game and jumping out without affecting the game score but resulting in a better then worst next game, gives every player a nice feeling. I had many games in BFGA1 where I yelled in success after my only surviving ship jumped out, even though the enemy wiped the floor with my fleet. That was one of the reasons I liked BFGA so much because you could win even though you lost.

last edited by iuiz

Very much agreed. The progression and customisation of your very own battlefleet was the main selling point for me. Saving a high level cpatain from certain death was worth as much as a victory. Preventing a foe from doin just that, felt great. Mean. But great.
I get the balance issues, but beein serious here, does anyone think BFGA2 can become an esports title? I most definetly do not. And to be quite honest, the balance issues only became rly a problem for BFGA1 because the DEVs abandoned the game after the Tau dlc, which in turn killed off the remaining playerbase entirely.
I also get the idea of streamlining the game for ranked pvp, but again, what is your playerbase? Nerds who love 40k. With streamlining a game like this, in general, the goal is to get a broader playerbase, but this wont happen folks. Its Warhammer, it is kinda meant for niche. And as it is with us Warhammer fans, we are all about the customisation options. (Anyone can remember the shitstorm relic got, when they said there wont be an armypainter in dow3 at some point?)

@djesusuncrossed said in Will they add persistent multiplayer or was this gimped? Please let us customize our fleets again and make meaningful choices with upgrades and emergency jumps.:

I get the balance issues, but beein serious here, does anyone think BFGA2 can become an esports title?

That's the thing. This is will never happen and I don't understand this focus on a ranked mode, even though we could select between persistent and ranked in the first game and only persistent was played.

I'm glad that I no longer have to grind those fleets for hours. The current grind kinda sucks too, but it's still better.
The worst part of the last system was that I would only invest time into builds that I knew will work, it was just too risky to try things out and waste cash on.
Emergency jumps are one of those things that I kinda miss, old ranked gave them purpose since you couldn't have all your ships upgraded so retreating them gave a chance to use them next round.