"Entering restricted area is killing this game"

@techsimmons said in "Entering restricted area is killing this game":

Nothing ruins immersion like a gun becoming suddenly disabled because an objective was taken. At least give us a chance to defend ourselves as we leave the restricted area.

If you are "running" into a restriced area in the game it is a aggressive move by default. As a attacker or defender you actively have to move towards these areas and you always go into the direction of the enemy. So you are not "defending" yourself, you are in a place where you should not be in the first place.

Sandstorm also does a relatively mild way to handle this. A lot of other games will do way harsher things like:

• blurring your vision
  • slow your movement
  • decrease health
  • kill you

Right now you can still somewhat abuse the pretty tame penalty of not being able to use your guns. You can often cross the area quickly and get into advantageous positions.

@mefirst

I think he refers to push gamemode. When you play that, it can happen that you are in an area that becomes restricted without actively moving towards enemies when they cap an objective as he explains.

@pacalis unbelievably complicated mechanic for what could of been a simple yet beautiful "ARMA" type game where the maps were smaller, the objective would guide the game-play and it's too bad they are not introducing different modes to slow down the speed at which most people if not all are playing this game at current time, they have such a great looking and feeling game it's sad most people are just blowing by it.......but that's gamer's these day's.

@dodger

A game mode for people who like slower gameplay would probably be cool, though I like the fast pacing. The rules are straightforward and implemented in a similar fashion in other games, so complicated is not a brand I would use. If you expected an Arma clone, you may be unfamiliar with the first Insurgency - Which is also very arcadey. I like that.

@pacalis said in "Entering restricted area is killing this game":

@mefirst

I think he refers to push gamemode. When you play that, it can happen that you are in an area that becomes restricted without actively moving towards enemies when they cap an objective as he explains.

Then you suddenly find yourself in a out of bounds area after you lost a cap, it means that the game wants you to fall back to defend the next cap. Personally I also see people ending up in these situations because they often were on a very obscure flank not really doing anything. I guess its the game trying remind players in general (and especially those players) to get closer to the objective and defend it.

Compared to most other popular multiplayer FPS, Sandstorm is pretty slow paced. It sure has its fast moments, but those are usually just peaks. Otherwise I think the game rewards careful and smart movement, positioning and benefits from teamwork.

@mefirst
Yeah, I have no problem with the restricted zone personally, and believes it serves a good function. Could maybe have been just a text display telling you to leave zone instead of a bot sergeant screaming at you, but it is a bit funny as well.

When it comes to speed of the game it burns down to personal playstyle. For many it may be slower. But using no armour and a light loadout and always pushing up it is quite fast. If you look at skilled players like lickthebutter, you can see what I mean.

last edited by Pacalis

When it comes to the current no armor meta. I think the main reason why a lot of people use it (inluding myself), is that armor does not really do anything positive. There are a couple of good videos out that that show you how armor works in the game. I rather take additional loadout points and get more smokes or weapon attachments on them, than to "maybe" being able to take one more additional bullet in some very situational moments. The speed element is not that important to me honestly.