Short questions, short answers - if you need help with game mechanics or lore stuff, just ask

it's a percentage reduction in damage taken as far as I have seen, so: damage taken = incoming damage *(1-armor value).

So a jump from 67 to 83 results in 50% less damage taken.

At least if the tooltip is saying the correct thing.

Eldar have void shields which is a percentage chance of ignoring a hit (i.e. no damage is applied). the percentage is based on the gauge shown in place of the shield, which increases as the ship moves and declines when not moving. I believe that only non-ord. weaponry is ignored. If the hit is not ignored, then normal armor modifiers apply. So, generally, more shots = more damage against Eldar since ships generally have low armor values. Lances, while always hitting, have a low fire rate and void shields can ignore the hits so macros, boarding, and ord. are the best weaponry to deal with Eldar, assuming you can see the target (which is very key for dealing with Eldar). Targeting the engine is also basically a death sentence for the ship since it impacts movement and the shields targeting that should be the priority.

@tiffman said in Short questions, short answers - if you need help with game mechanics or lore stuff, just ask:

Hello fan friends,
Could you explain how the shield of the eldars works ? Does it add a type of armor when it's fully active ? thanks

If you've played classic RPGs, Eldar's defense is more like a Rogue: Horrible armour, but great dodge chance. Their Holofield apply a chance to evade enemy shots outright, based upon movement speed. But if they are hit, they have no actual shield - it goes straight to health damage. And just like a rogue would be, their armour value is atrocious. So your "defense" involves never stopping, to try and avoid as much enemy fire as possible.

Always focus fire Eldar engines, no engines, no more hit and run, no more holofields.

@charles I'm not sure I understood how does armour affect damage:
Life = Life - Damage * Armor / 100
By looking at it, it would seem that 67 armour is better than 83 because say you have 150 life and the opponent does 100 damage, this leads us to:

67armour:
150 becomes 150 - 100* (67/100) = 83

83 armour:
150 becomes 150- 100 * (83/100) = 67
So the ship with less armour ends up surviving more than the one with high armour.

I clearly misunderstood it. Can you please explain this again?

You misunderstood that armour is a percentage in damage reduction. That's what he meant with 83/100. 83% damage reduction.

@hjalfnar_hgv oh so the correct formula would be something like this?

Life = Life - Damage * (1 - (Armor / 100))

which in my previous example would do something like:

67 armour:
150 becomes 150 - 100* (1 - 0,67) = 117

83 armour
150 becomes 150 - 100*(1-0,83) = 133
Makes more sense

If the urgency meter gets to full red, do I automatically lose the game?

I think you did in the original.

This thread should be sticked to the top of the forum as helpful to new players.

@mystic_taboo
yes if it reaches the little skull box at the end you lose
it says so if you hover over the little skull

@ashardalon said in Short questions, short answers - if you need help with game mechanics or lore stuff, just ask:

@mystic_taboo
yes if it reaches the little skull box at the end you lose
it says so if you hover over the little skull

I cried, but reloaded 20 saves back :(.

I wil hold a foothold as a jump point in medusa now.