Remove Easy Anti-Cheat for Singleplayer

Like the title says, why is this stupid program a requirement to launch the game if we never plan to do multiplayer? Beyond the fact I had a good hour's worth of issues with it in the first Beta, it utterly precludes any hope of player's modding their singleplayer game. If people want to change the more divisive aspects of the game, they can't, because they're completely locked out of doing so.

Can you give the option to launch the game modded or without EAC, and just disable the Ranked Multiplayer (Or all multiplayer, I don't care) button?

Funny thing is, it'll only take a couple days for people to find a way around it and cheat in Singleplayer. Bigger and more important companies like Ubisoft had it on big titles like Watch Dogs, took 2 days for people to figure out how to disable it. Tindalos and Focus Home just like burning money I suppose.

@bublito said in Remove Easy Anti-Cheat for Singleplayer:

Funny thing is, it'll only take a couple days for people to find a way around it and cheat in Singleplayer. Bigger and more important companies like Ubisoft had it on big titles like Watch Dogs, took 2 days for people to figure out how to disable it. Tindalos and Focus Home just like burning money I suppose.

Here's hoping. I think modding should've been a priority for the game, not something to fight against.

i think in their live twitch stream they said they were fine with people modding the game. they said that the reason its not moddable to the lay person is they couldnt commit the assets or time to making tools for it.

@imptastic said in Remove Easy Anti-Cheat for Singleplayer:

i think in their live twitch stream they said they were fine with people modding the game. they said that the reason its not moddable to the lay person is they couldnt commit the assets or time to making tools for it.

Something has changed between that interview and the Beta then. You cannot modify the game now, or it will fail to load. Just go throw in a dummy XML in the data folder for the game and watch what happens.

Or if you're feeling lazy, I can spoil the ending: The game will refuse to boot until that XML file gets removed. Which means we're pretty much unable to do anything with the game. The first game also wasn't "mod friendly", but it wasn't actively antagonistic towards them like the second. While I'd have loved a mod SDK, I get that wasn't priority one. But this is definitely swinging the pendulum back the other direction - hard.

@romeo not my area of expertise they just said that if someone was skilled with the unreal engine that it was possible for them to mod and if they did they have their blessing to do so. I do agree it is silly to hide the entire game behind the anti cheat system but i dont know how hard it would have been to limit it vs just having it activate on launch.

@romeo You have a point. Given how huge the modding scene is, this seems like a massive oversight from the developers. Give gamers the chance to mod, and fan made campaings set during the Horus Herey or even the Great Crusade seem likely, along with plenty of options to mod versions of the other campaigns that GW will release going forward, such as the Vigilus War of Beasts happening right now over on the tabletop side of the hobby (though that is mostly a planet side fight in the current lore). Why not give the fans the chance to do that, since it can only serve to extend the life of your game?

@romeo

People already found a way to bypass EasyAntiCheat on BFGA2, so no worries, it's on several forums already. It'll be released after the game launches.

Maybe the anticheat should just disable PVP? The AI doesn't care if you cheat, its not a real person that feels bad after getting defeated.

@bublito

I've got a sneaking suspicion that will kill any hope of a modding scene, regardless. The Elder Scrolls didn't get its modding scene by requiring users to jump through hoops, and have modders do three times the amount of work. It got it by being easy. So long as Anti-Cheat is forced on the singleplayer, it will represent an insurmountable roadblock to 99% of users wanting to create or download mods.