Mod support?

@ The Developers
Are you planning on supporting mods later on after launch? As for now the EAC ( which is a whole other problem) is preventing any mods from beein created, which is kind of a shame to be honest.
As you got a very engaged community on your hands, and espacially for RTS space games the modding community is just mind blowingly active.
I think it would be a major mistake, not to use these " resources", as mods prolong the lifetime of a game and enrich it with the creativity of the community.
I know GW is not very keen on allowing mods, but in case of Total War Warhammer for example it worked, and by god it helped the game a lot. By now a ton of former mods have been included in the main game.
In the end, you as Devs and we as the community only have benefits from an active modding community.

last edited by DjesusUncrossed

@djesusuncrossed they said in the live stream that they didnt have the resources to put into making tools but if people familiar with the unreal engine they used wanted to they have their blessing.

@imptastic Thx for the reply. What a shame though, as we got the Steam Workshop and the unreal enginge is - as far as i've heared- quite easy to use.
Maybe later on, it would be time and money well spent.

@djesusuncrossed i couldnt agree more.. in the rts genre the games that boast the highest MP numbers are generally all moddable.

just look at games like Star Wars: Empire at War. Or Sins of a Solar Empire. Both games are years if not a decade old and still have a thriving community.

@djesusuncrossed

The game currently cannot be modded, as the Easy Anti-Cheat system doesn't allowed for modified files of any capacity. Unless they turf that stupid thing, mods won't be possible.

@romeo Lots of websites already have working Launchers that bypass EAC. You wont be able to mod multiplayer games (Obviously) but you'll be able to mod / use trainers for Singleplayer.

Good job dumping money down the drain on that BS Focus Home & Tindalos

last edited by Bublito

@romeo It can be modded, very easily in-fact, all the EAC does is prevent MP mod compatibility.
So can make a mod, send you it, but it would only work for you offline.

@caliger_reborn said in Mod support?:

@romeo It can be modded, very easily in-fact, all the EAC does is prevent MP mod compatibility.
So can make a mod, send you it, but it would only work for you offline.

How'd you get the game to boot? As I said, I added in a complete dummy XML (Did absolutely nothing), and EAC wouldn't even let me launch the game. Granted, this was in the last Beta, but I would assume nothing's changed since.

@romeo I used an older version of the game, but Piston Miner can bypass it completely and edit files, its just nothing either of us do will work for MP.
The files can be decrypted and edited though, its much more mod friendly than the first game.

last edited by CALiGeR_Reborn

@romeo I used an older version of the game, but Piston Miner can bypass it completely and edit files, its just nothing either of us do will work for MP.

Ah, so that's kinda what I was getting at: It has to be bypassed to be modded. That's not exactly mod supported. That's like saying the Always-Online Simcity was moddable... Just so long as you ran the cracked game that allowed offline play. 😛

I don't give a damn about multiplayer, honestly. Frankly, mods and multiplayer don't always play nice. They need to either get rid of EAC, or at the bare minimum, allow the game to boot in to singleplayer if files have been modified.

@romeo It can be done though. The way the files are organised makes it easier, and much more stable. The first one was almost impossible to work with.

@romeo It can be done though. The way the files are organised makes it easier, and much more stable. The first one was almost impossible to work with.

I don't disagree, but asking users to try and bypass DRM to run mods will kill the modding scene before it even begins. Personal mods might continue, but there will never be a community run that way.

@romeo Mod packages still work, if I send you my modded data files you will have no problem running them, the old VI team has been testing this internally.
Just not for MP. I was talking about actually editing files.

Nothing will be released until way after game release though, nothing is done, just stress testing and seeing what can be done.

@romeo Basically, don't worry about the EAC, once the decrypted files are edited and put back where they are supposed to go, the game will run it just fine.

@romeo Basically, don't worry about the EAC, once the decrypted files are edited and put back where they are supposed to go, the game will run it just fine.

Ah, so we can't add stuff to the directory, but we can edit stuff within it. Didn't even think to try that. So that's good for me (Hello useful Necrons), hopefully it means I can make the races more fun to use.

@romeo Literally anyone could change the stats, its layed out in an excel sheet in the files. Just change the number and boom, stats changed.

@romeo Literally anyone could change the stats, its layed out in an excel sheet in the files. Just change the number and boom, stats changed.

We can only change stats? Or can we actually do more interesting things, like add in new ships?

Also Piston Miner tells me that stuff like VFX and compartmental game models should be easily changed. So expect to see the return of the Old Mercury BC, Vanquisher Battleship and Victory Battleship. This basically means we have all the parts necessary to change existing ships and add new ones.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.