Mod support?

We also have more models to play with, so can get more creative than in BFG1 without breaking the game.

Oh, and of course we can make new weapon systems, like laser macro cannons using lance effects on macro weapons, or Imperial Missile Batteries using re-coloured Chaos Missile Battery effects.

This is all great news then, I'm stoked to take things apart and cater them to how I like to play.

I would love to temper with the campaign mechanics. Planet management etc.
Sadly I got no spare time on my hands...but plenty ideas, even tho i dont even know if it will be possible to mod that anyways.

So you don't actually need to bypass anything, unless using the game in offline mode counts as a bypass. In offline mode, mods work fine. In online mode (not actually playing online, just having an internet connection) the game boots fine, but about a minute or so after launching a (local) battle apparently you get kicked back to the main menu, presumably for violation of the signature check. Really a rather weird way to do that.
For the record, I dislike local anti-cheat systems like this; they behave like malware and don't solve anything. A reasonable threat model should assume the local machine to be compromised in a setting such as this; an attacker has complete control over the local machine and thus any local anti-cheat system is merely an annoyance of some degree to a cheater and relatively easily bypassed while it also hurts legitimate users. Security cannot be an afterthought that you just slap on; that doesn't solve anything. I'd much rather have no local anti-cheat system. It's not like the first game had a cheater infestation either.
Having said that, as it stands it's not the end of the world. Seeing as the devs have stated they are cool with modding, if that is truthful, hopefully after release we can come to some sort of compromise where hopefully players that fail the signature check could be connected to a separate matchmaker without anticheat, so that mods could still be played online, in isolation from the unmodded multiplayer.

So I spent all might decompressing the PAK file and it looks like it's good to go for anyone to mod. Barring any unforeseen issues in UE4's editor tools that is.

Aside from that the big hang up for doing any modding on my end is that I don't know how to get access to the encrypted CSV files. The editor file variant doesn't seem to be set to be referenced by the game so I guess the encrypted version is what I need to work with.

Apparently Piston and a few others already figured out the encryption method though? If so is it possible to message it to me? Decrypting CSV files isn't really something i'm too familiar with, sadly, and it's kinda driving me up a wall.

We should move to a modding subforum as soon as the game goes live. Just to make information like you just mentioned more accesable.
And we should ask loudly for Steam WOrkshop integration, as much as i love Nexus and ModDB, the workshop is much more handy...

Yeah. A mod forum sounds like a good idea.

On that note, if there's an interest in modding then I don't mind releasing the tools to decompress the PAK file into the editable game assets some time after the game is released. I'm holding off on it until a bit afterwards since it looks like the vast majority of the content is in there. There's even Tyranid campaign stuff from an initial glance.

I don't want to do anything to hurt the developers or risk screwing up their financial success, so i'm airing on the side of caution in that regard. I figure it's better to wait a bit and be safe then risk making someone else sorry, y'know?

I just need to know how to get access to those CSV files so I can actually get started on modding/learning the ins and outs of the game when it comes to editing the data tables.

last edited by Archonex

So would the modding allow for stuff like increased fleet cap in skirmish and perhaps even bringing in the campaign exclusive Titan ships?

If there was access to the CSV data files i'm fairly certain you could do that in single player, yeah. Piston or whoever figured out the encryption on them will have to chime in on that.

Something might be available in the PAK file too depending on what got folded into it. But I haven't gotten to go through all of the assets yet so I can't say for sure. It's like 30ish gigs of content, so it's slow going.

last edited by Archonex

Regarding Paks: The pak is easily unpackable with UnrealPak shipping with UE; I forget the exact version number BFGA2 is based off of. No custom tools required, luckily.

Regarding Playable Titans: Hopefully the VI/(VI2?) team will be shipping that exact mod soon after release.

Regarding the CSV/XML data: Following release barring any unforeseen events I'll publish that info. I really don't want to step on the devs' feet, especially not in their pre-release Beta, and the devs only very recently publicly stated they are fine with modding. VI had a good relationship with the devs on the first game, hopefully we can keep that for this one.

Regarding modding subforum: We tried to get that on the first one, best we got was a pinned thread, but I'll take it.

Sounds good. I'll definitely be checking back for the details regarding the CSV thing. I entirely understand wanting to wait. It's the same reason why I was hesitant to post any details regarding the PAK files.

As for what version it is I'd be willing to post that after release if you need it again then.

Regardless, thanks for the reply.

last edited by Archonex

https://steamcommunity.com/app/573100/discussions/0/1741106440020854894/

Looks like the devs will be implementing the Titans into a skirmish mode sometime after launch themselves, along with new ships and bigger fleets, but don't let detract you modders whilst we wait.

So now that the game is out, can anyone of the VI team confirm that Titans can be accessed for modding?

@smoothrunes said in Mod support?:

So now that the game is out, can anyone of the VI team confirm that Titans can be accessed for modding?

I am also curious about that. I've intentionally not played the game since release (So I can refund it if the radio silence continues), so I've not done a thing about modding.

@pistonminer said in Mod support?:

Regarding Paks: The pak is easily unpackable with UnrealPak shipping with UE; I forget the exact version number BFGA2 is based off of. No custom tools required, luckily.

Regarding Playable Titans: Hopefully the VI/(VI2?) team will be shipping that exact mod soon after release.

Regarding the CSV/XML data: Following release barring any unforeseen events I'll publish that info. I really don't want to step on the devs' feet, especially not in their pre-release Beta, and the devs only very recently publicly stated they are fine with modding. VI had a good relationship with the devs on the first game, hopefully we can keep that for this one.

Regarding modding subforum: We tried to get that on the first one, best we got was a pinned thread, but I'll take it.

I am excited to see what you can do! I loved VI and the point mod. you gave me and a few buddies of mine a great time playing skirmish in the elite mode.

Does it appear that custom models can be placed in, like say a imperial cruiser with space marine bow hanger bay as an example etc?

I really enjoy the campaign and look forward to playing it with what you got cooking!

@pistonminer said in Mod support?:

Regarding the CSV/XML data: Following release barring any unforeseen events I'll publish that info.

Does language xml files are encrypted in same manner? I'm very anxious to get this info for possible unofficial-translation project. The game already supports international language fonts, so once the file could be edited and re-implemented, it would be good to go.

@smoothrunes @Romeo Titans can absolutely be made playable for skirmish, it a simple matter of having it listed as a 'Battleship' rather than a 'Titian' so it shows up for selection. Devs are probably taking longer due to balance/performance concerns and maybe a desire to create a new unit category.

Other things that are definitely easily doable include stat changes, price changes, and weapon load outs for different ships. We can also change the name of ships very easily, so adding ships equipped with existing weapons should be very simple.

Adding new weapons to the game needs to be experimented with, but if we could do it in the last game, it should definitely be doable in this game.

last edited by CALiGeR_Reborn

The internal debate on VI is about balance. Whether balance should be overhauled with the mod or kept close to vanilla.
Could either release two separate mods, with different balancing, or roll it into one big mod for the game.

The fear is alienating players, or splinting the player base if we can get it working for MP.

last edited by CALiGeR_Reborn

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.