Community Update - 18 January 2019
Community Manager

Admirals,

BFGA2 Game Director Romain Clavier here. It’s been three days now since the release of the beta. We’re delighted to see thousands of players jumping into games and providing feedback on everything from faction balance to the campaign flow, and much more.

The Tyranid invasion and the green Krusade may seem unstoppable but do not abandon hope and praise the Emperor, for he is the salvation of mankind. Here’s what we’re currently planning to do in response to all the feedback and data we’ve received during the week.

0_1547810813750_BattlefleetGothicArmada2_logo_09.jpg

Campaign update:

Let’s start with the two most common pieces of feedback regarding the campaign gameplay.

• “I don’t like the domination mode in campaign.”
    • Well, It will be pretty easy for us to add a game option that allows the player to remove capture zones during campaign battles in order to play with just the “extermination” win condition. We still believe that domination mode provides a better in-game experience, as it adds a tactical layer to battle as well as improving the game balance, but we understand the desire to annihilate your enemies.
    • We’ll do our best to deliver this change for the release. If we cannot, it will be implemented with the first patch shortly after launch. We will keep you updated on this as regularly as possible.
  • “I feel under pressure from the urgency gauge”.
    • Fair enough, we don’t want anyone to feel anxious surrounding their solo game experience of the grim dark future. We will be adding an option at the start of the campaign that will disable the urgency gauge. For clarity, we would advise against disabling this feature, as we think it provides incentive and pressure for pushing forward as well as offering a good representation of the critical situation in the Cadian Gate, and being part of our difficulty balancing. However, we’d rather it was your choice.
    • It’s possible we will have this implemented by release, but more probably it will be a part of the first patch.

Skirmish:

The main feedback we’ve received here is that you all would like to be able to level up factions in Skirmish. Well, we don’t see any good arguments that go against this request. We will implement this for release! Portrait rewards will still be exclusive to ranked matches, as they’re purely cosmetic.

We’re also looking at ways to continue to improve the skirmish game in post-release content. We’ll talk more about this in the near future as we start to explain our plans regarding post launch content.

Balancing:

Well, balancing is still not perfect but it's better than ever. With thousands upon thousands of battles concluded (and with mirror matches excluded), let’s check the stats up to now:

0_1547821712615_BFG2_Winrate_light.jpg

First to talk about this data a bit. Clearly there are two major outliers in Corsairs and Tyranids, which we’ll discuss in a moment, alongside the higher-than-perfect Ork winrate. However, we’re very happy that 10 of our 12 factions are relatively well balanced, especially given we’re yet to release. Obviously, it’s currently imperfect, so here are our goals going forward.

At first we want to get everyone between 40% and 60% global winrate. Of course the closer to 50% the better, and we’ll continue tweaking beyond that, but it’s our initial aim. It’s important to note these numbers do not represent with perfect accuracy how balanced factions are. For example, some factions may perform better or worse depending on the skill level of the players, the exact fleet compositions being used, and so on. However, we’re happy to use this data alongside your continued feedback to improve things.

As mentioned, the most problematic factions are the Corsairs and Tyranids. Orks are borderline.
Therefore, you should expect in a patch on launch day:

• A nerf for the Tyranids. Should be mostly based on ship point cost.
  • A buff for the Corsairs. Ships will be cheaper and will have access to the shroud hull attribute, which cloaks ships at the start of battle.
  • A very slight nerf for the Orks.
  • A lot of small adjustments to make the battle experience less frustrating in some cases or with some factions.

Of course, we’re still finalising the specifics here, and will keep you updated with full patch notes once the patch is ready. We hope to continue sharing matchup data with you in future, and are looking into ways to split the data by league to make sure we’re using it in the best way possible.

Multiplayer:

We have found a way to improve classification of players in the leaderboard, as it’s currently very hard to get out of Bronze league. This update is now live, so please let us know if it seems better and fairer to you (or not!)

Bug:

Ouch! A nasty bug regarding weapon stats modifiers bypassed our vigilance and is present in the beta. A few bonuses are not being applied properly. We will be fixing it for release - we’d like to do it sooner, but ensuring that our release build is as good as possible is our current priority. Post-launch, we hope to patch issues such as this (or, hopefully, more minor ones) quicker. It’s important to note this particular issue will likely have a positive impact on the game balance, also.

Thanks for all the feedback, positive and negative! Continue to help us in making the best game possible for the 24th!

Dismissed!

Ravensburg

last edited by Netheos

@chaton nothing on the litany of complaints about necrons or as they are now officially dubbed trashcons?

Community Manager

Hey @imptastic
The Necrons currently have a 46% winrate, which is quite close to the ideal 50%, but as we mentioned in the post above, we will be tweaking balance across the board as we approach launch.

It's great to see devs listening to the community! Especially the Skirmish leveling skills - now that's a change!

Also, glad to see T'au doing as well as most factions. 😎

last edited by VectorStrike

Wowza 46% winrate with Necrons?s (Edit - due to vectorstrikes response, admittedly missed the no mirror match part of the post, woops!)

If you want this done properly you need to pick a small number of good players (think top 10 on the leaderboard) for a semi closed beta inside the beta to give you realistic figures, there is absolutely no way Necrons are hitting a 46% win-rate when two competent players are going against each other with almost any of the other factions (its possible they can quite handily beat corsairs??)

Secondly I hate to say it but balancing purely with points is somewhat lazy as we are getting further and further away from the "epic battles" we were promised as less and less ships are being brought to each fight now because of price creep, this is especially annoying as the engine has proven it can more than handle a huge amount of ships, I would really hate to see things fall back to the 2 or 3 ships per battle of BFGA1 as the "huge battles" are what drew me in.

last edited by Bould

@bould said in Community Update - 18 January 2019:

Wowza 46% winrate with Necrons? The only thing I can think of here is when two Necrons players end up fighting each other it scews the figures (hey one of them has to win right?!)

They specifically said that data doesn't contain mirror matches (so, no Necrons x Necrons)

@jellyfoosh hmm i dont know how much i would trust your number there... fact is when you guys gated scrim abilities behind rank MP you pushed a lot of people into just going through the motions in MP to unlock the abilities for scrim, i know i am and one of them. but beyond simple balancing it doesnt change the fact that necrons in the SP content are boring... they lack any form of diverisity every match is exactly the same with exactly the same ship doing exactly the same tactics. literally only 3 weapon types in the whole fleet and pyrimid reconstruction is a must have due to poor critical systems management capabilities. from what can be seen in the campaigns upgrade portions the upgrades are really bland and for the most part minimally helpful to practically unused across the board.

Thanks for the stats on winrate.
To have a better view can you check between specific match ups? Because having a global win rate of 50% for a faction can also mean than you win 100% of time vs one and 0% vs another

The problem with the campaign isn't domination battles, the problem is that 90% of battles are in this mode. If you will change it to 90% annihilation battles it will not change anything, it will be same problem. We need more types of battles in single, with different conditions and approach, only those changes will save the campaign.

@beernchips that is indeed an important information! Second me on this request

The problem with the campaign isn't domination type games, it is that 90% of games are domination. If you fix it as you wrote in this thread - it will not change a thing, it will be 90% annihilation games instead of 90% domination games. What we need - it's a different game modes in campaign, with different conditions and approach, and that will save campaign.

@jellyfoosh that’s because there are plenty of people who don’t know what they are doing in low tiers and all the Necron players are minmaxing to get by. Once they get to gold, they lose instantly. You said you would listen to community feedback, but when the whole community says Necrons are trash you ignore them. The one guy who dissented has a fifty fifty winrate, got to gold, and then changed his tune when that led to him being “shown his place” in his own words. Necrons are very bad. There is no debating this fact, but that seems like it won’t be changing, unlike the the main mode in battles, and that’s probably only because valrak made a video on it and hurt sales figures.

@chaton said in Community Update - 18 January 2019:

A buff for the Corsairs. Ships will be cheaper and will have access to the shroud hull attribute, which cloaks ships at the start of battle.

I am afarid thats not enough.

First of all extra rangeo on lock stance does not work so running and hiting tactic is no use. Fixing this bug should be a priority.

Secondly, giving cload to all ships is not good enough because eldar must start with cloak anyway. Also ships get insta reveal at first battle so there is no use of such cloak.

Thirdly, corsair's weapons are considerebly weaker than any other eldars. Pulsar Cannon (artillery laser) has pitiful dps. Also Starcanons are much weaker than Asura's.

Finally Eldar ships are too vulnrable to critical effects is too high. "Fragile" atribute makes eldar ships unable to fight in mele range. Even lightning range is too dangerous for eldar.

All of the above makes Corsairs weak. Developer says increasing tonage will help Corsairs. Obviusly it will, but there are more tweaks needed. Extra 200 army points would not suffice. Maybe extra cruiser for 325 would be sufficient. Personally i got to the top league with Corsairs. All of the games i won by points with 3 groups of stealth ships. Many ppl got annoyed by this tactic, but such strategy is a must. Eldar simply can not fight within 9000 radius, unless it has huge tonnage advantage in a small battle.

last edited by UREJT

@UREJT You are right,if you comparecorsairs and asuryani, they have same ships, almost same skills/upgrades same kind of playstyle so why take Corsairs with fragile trait instead Asuryani?
To differentiate and give a choice between those 2 factions, Corsairs should have faster ships/better holofields and Asuryani perhaps more HP to be a bit more tanky. Also skills, stances (Perhaps Corsairs with stealth/reload/a damage stane and Asuryani with brace/targetting node/something else) and upgrades should have real differences

Thanks for the patches. This seem like great changes. We can disable domination and this should make it way more fun :). But what about a statement regarding “I don’t like the domination mode in multiplayer.”, which seems to be a big thing, especially as this is a big step away from BFGA1.

The main feedback we’ve received here is that you all would like to be able to level up factions in Skirmish. Well, we don’t see any good arguments that go against this request. We will implement this for release! Portrait rewards will still be exclusive to ranked matches, as they’re purely cosmetic.

Good. Nice to see devs that listen.

Thanks for the update, @Jellyfoosh!!
Just a couple of requests/suggestions:

When reviewing winrates and balancing data, i think that you guys should look at both overall win rates, and also win rates within the gold division. I think its important that the game feels balanced for both newer and experienced players.

Having a detailed breakdown/explanation of game mechanics/FAQ's available either on the forum or the in-game help upon release would be immensly helpful for transparency/learning curve. Im thinking things like ramming damage calculations, turret ordnance firing logic, or explanations of how buffs/debuffs stack in calculations.

Really liking the game so far 🙂

Skirmish:

We’re also looking at ways to continue to improve the skirmish game in post-release content. We’ll talk more about this in the near future as we start to explain our plans regarding post launch content.

Super happy to hear about this and your other work on striving to improve the game! Thanks for being open to community feedback.

Thanks for sharing the winrates.

The metrics are quite interesting.

A quarter of the factions are broken and not fun to play, but I guess some arbitrary numbers invalidate our feedback.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.