I guess you expected another one of the countless matchmaking complaining threads, when you clicked on this one. However, you are wrong: I actually try to answer the question: What would have been?
Since we have some very big data sets available, we can actually investigate this. So what I roughly did was following:
- Modrek provided me with the matchup data from CCL and COL
- I used this data set to identify the pools, which were used to create the matchups, which were played
- I created different matchups according to different matchmaking score (by TV, etc.)
- I evaluated the resulting matchups according to different metrics
Long answer: I wrote a documentation about the stuff I did, you can find it here. Even if you are not interested in this stuff, I would hint you to look at page 2, since it shows some interesting statistics about the pooling sizes.
(note: I also posted this in the steam forums)