Joining games with no waves left

you MUST fix this BS where you'll join a game on the second half of the round when no waves are left!!!!
seriously! this is ridiculous! It just happened twice in a row to me.

Yah. I agree.

Conversely, matchmaking needs to put more people into co-op servers later in the match. I'm tired of loosing twice and then having to try to pull a win on the third go with 4 people playing.

This is a tough one. The trick is getting real-time data to matchmaking, and reducing load times.

Here's a rough scenario, as I understand it (I could be wrong):

• Players leave server for whatever reason
  • Matchmaking system polls server (pull) or is informed server state (push) ("Hey, we need some players over here!")
  • Players join queue looking for game
  • Matchmaking chooses players to add to server
  • Players join server

So, in this scenario, from the time players leave, to the time players are in game (having chosen class and loadout) can be 2 minutes or longer (depending on client hardware and server poll interval).

Real-time processing is costly in server performance and data transfer, and even if the system is real-time, then there's client times to consider.

To get to the OP's comment, I share your frustration here. There should be some conditions to limit when players are put into a match, basically put: "Is the player actually going to get to participate in this match?"

To my mind these would be:
[COOP] Team is down 0-2 and has captured penultimate objective
[PVP] <2 waves remaining on either team and there are no rounds remaining

Bump...
this is still happening....