What can be done to get more players?

@d1rge Not really, The hype for it has already died off. Fortnite and PUBG will remain popular for a while, but all the other smaller battle royale games are dead. Insurgency is not something the battle royale crowd would enjoy, nor would it's own community approve of it.

Sorry but it's a fact, he asked what would bring more players, it is undeniable

@d1rge said in What can be done to get more players?:

I hate to say it, but as popular as battle royale is right now, you can't deny it would bring more players

I think that is a wrong assumption. A mistake not just made by us "normal" people but a also by a lot of companies. A thing that always happens with trends in gaming.

The problem is that the market is not "endless" Meaning that there is a limited amount of players that have a limited amount of money and time. That is especially a problem when 1-3 games dominate that trend vastly. Somebody who already plays Fortnite oder PUBG will most likely stay with these games. These games (especially Fortnite) are alkso very good at binding their player base.

Just look at the flood of battle royale games or games that put in a battle royale mode. Has any of them succeeded? No. Especially for a relatively small game, by a small dev it makes no sense to invest its also smaller resources into something that will not work.

Make this game free for one weekend!

Not much needed to invest as we are only playing small portions of one large map

My opinion is more advertising.
Unless you are a somewhat involved gamer, you will have never heard from insurgency. most people know BF, COD and PUBG/Fortnite but they have never even heard of this game.
NWI needs to drop some dough on getting this product into the mainstream.
gee, hire Terry Crews and have him endorse this since hes now a pc gamer.
Create a viral campaign? a couple of free weekends? A map creation contest where the best 3 maps get to be adopted officially and the creators get some prizes and bragging rights? IDK, someone should wake up the marketing guys...

@snakelegionnaire said in What can be done to get more players?:

My opinion is more advertising.

IIRC, in the last livestream Alex talked about them having a budget for this. I wonder though if they might be waiting until console release gets closer so they can advertise for all platforms?

@mefirst

Yes and no. I agree with all your arguments, but suppose NWI have polished Ins Sandstorm at some point in time soon (finished optimizing, bug fixing, done some more game balancing and added mod support etc. so they have a package that is solid and can consider even more work tasks). How much of an investment would it really be for NWI to add a battle royale mode? There is not much work to make new gamemodes like that if the rest of the game is complete. You basically just have to create some spawn points, a rule that makes game end when only 1 player is alive and other trivial programming suited for the gamemode - > That can barely be considered an investment of any significant size.

But NWI does not have a fully polished product yet, and it has already a lot of potential as is, and making the game "as is" a good experience for the largest amount of people should definitely have a much higher priority right now. How many games have we not seen getting less popularity than they deserve because devs get more focused on adding feature x or y than actually do bug fixes and other important tasks that would make players get that feeling of getting a solid game.

Game developers are so dependent on positive reviews and satisfied consumers to get sales up, so I hope they keep working on that, as I hope this game will take its deserved market share in this type of game. Its after all potentially one of the best games in the FPS genre in my book when it gets that polish.

last edited by Pacalis

Personally I think the game still has some good steps to go. I still consider it relatively unpolished and to me it is still "unfinished" and pretty much in beta state. But that is not that important in regard to the why I think BR would be pointless in Insurgency.

I "could" invest a lot of time learning the theory and practice of mountain climbing, but I live in a pretty flat area and it is very unlikely that those learned skills would be of any practical use to me. I think that is the case for BR in this game. NWI is a not a studio that craps out a sequel every 1-2 years and that means they want to support their game (Sandstorm in this case).

NWI most likely wants to keep current players engaged. They will do that with polishing the gameplay experience and also by adding new content like maps, weapons etc. So far the stance of NWI is that DLC will be free. They however mentioned that they will probably sell cosmetics for real money (fine with me). So they do have a plan how they will and "can" (it all costs money) to support their game in the future.

Polishing never really stops when you add more content. If you bring in new weapons you need to balance them and potentially balance every other weapon in the game to avoid power creep and keep all weapons as relevant as possible. When you bring in new maps you also need to make sure they are balanced and polished.

Sandstorm is a niche game and I look at this from a marketing point of view. from that point of view a BR mode makes no sense. The market for BR games is saturated already and dominated by 1-3 big games. Especially Fortnite is massive on levels that are insane. Remember that the game is F2P so all the money they make comes from in-game sales. So far epic made over 1 Billion US Dollars with that and it does not look like they have even reached their peak yet. It would be foolish to invest any time into something that your targeted group has not a lot of interest at all, or it is very likely that they will choose a different and already established product that is also most likely better at what it aims to be.

Like I said this is a thread for ideas, i gave one, instead of bashing ideas come up with new ideas and stop trying to put the ideas of others down

Doubt anyone here has bashed anyone or any idea. People just stated their P E R S O N A L opinion. If you post on a forum, you have to face the fact that people will react to it and may not agree with your idea.

I don't care about that at all, be constructive, all ideas help

A closed mind never learns

@d1rge if someone thinks an idea is bad for the game it's okay to discuss it. It's how they let the devs know they don't want something added to the game.

I think they should add a bomb to all sniper rifles that explodes once the user is the last team member alive. A player that enjoys sniping wouldn't want that implemented for obvious reasons. Should he just sit back and roll with it? Or should he voice his concern that he doesn't want to be blown up?

Apples to oranges man, magic bombs exploding snipers yeah because that is realistic, this is not constructive, I'm not saying that br is needed, but there's no denying that it would bring an influx of players, and easy to implement given the size of the map already in the game, but then again buying 15+ copies of the game helps support too

@d1rge said in What can be done to get more players?:

Apples to oranges man, magic bombs exploding snipers yeah because that is realistic, this is not constructive, I'm not saying that br is needed, but there's no denying that it would bring an influx of players, and easy to implement given the size of the map already in the game, but then again buying 15+ copies of the game helps support too

Did you just put down my sniper bomb idea? You just said people shouldn't put down ideas in an idea thread. So, what you meant to say was nobody should put your ideas down.

Not at all, simply come with legit ideas and not nonsense just as an attempt to make a point

But i haven't had much trouble out of snipers so i guess it's kinda hard to see your point, just don't see how to combat snipers with magic bombs to be realistic in the game at any rate

How did the snipers hurt you? Did you get headshotted? Or did the sniper not play the objective? I see players of all classes not playing the objective, i agree that is frustrating, but since you specifically pegged snipers then i assume that you got headshotted