RUNNING TOO MUCH-smoke screen opinion.(opinions pliz

@Jarv
I never use armour though and not much extra ammo either, from a realistic perspective more weight could add more sway, but the penalty of wearing armour (read moving slower) is pretty huge already as armour in game (as in real life) is not bullet sponges.

@maa_bunny

This depends on your load out of course, you would never carry that much in this type of missions present in the game. I am not suggesting player weight would equal those of the athlete, I am saying if properly trained the soldier will not suffer penalties even close to what OP suggests. Running with 20 kg shorter distances is not the end of the world. You get a high pulse and rapid breath quickly, and if proper trained you will get pulse and breath down quickly as well. The athletes exhaust themselves and then shot and hit several times, that was my point. They practice how to control breath while exhausted and even shooting their weapon between heartbeats. Pretty cool.

https://www.ptxnomad.com/what-do-soldiers-carry-and-what-does-it-weigh/

@pacalis said in RUNNING TOO MUCH-smoke screen opinion.(opinions pliz:

This depends on your load out of course, you would never carry that much in this type of missions present in the game.

Absolutely. For Army soldiers we can kinda say what a typical combat load would be, but for this game, it'll be all over. But, hitting 60 pounds or more just with what's represented in-game is pretty easy.

Rifle is going to be 8 to 14 pounds, depending on what's selected. LMGs will be higher. Pistol will be 1 to 2 pounds.

30 round AR-15 mags are about 1 pound each, 30 round AKM mags are about 2 pounds each, a 20 round SCAR-H mag is about 1.5 pounds, and a pistol mag is about 0.5 pounds.

Military radios are about 2 pounds, first aid kits 2 to 5 pounds depending on what they have, GPS units about 2 pounds as well.

Tactical gear can vary wildly, but a basic chest rig will be about 2 pounds empty weight.

3L of water will be about 7 pounds.

So even a lightweight loadout: rifle and pistol with 3 mags each, gear to carry it, and the basics you're looking at close to 30 pounds.

The M67 frag grenade is a little under a pound, the M18 smoke grenade is a little over a pound.

RPG-7 is 15 pounds.

Something like the "light armor" is going to be 20 to 30 pounds. Something like the "heavy armor" is going to be 30 to 40 pounds.

Gear can quickly start to add up, and I'd guess that most players are equipping gear in the 60 to 80 pound range.

well smoke penaldy should be bigger

So the game gives you the opportunity to have a high weight/ heavy loadout, which by no means suggests that you should do so if you want to succeed. It is definitely easier and more practical to keep a low weight loadout to stay alive. What the average player weight is in this game I have no information about, but I would guess players with many logged hours tend to learn what is viable when they get experienced in the game. Therefore I would argue that the average player weight is quite low amongst the experienced/good players in this game, and that new players tend to maximize armour and similar heavy gear as it seems very useful on the surface, while the reality is that it does not matter if you have packed all those extra rounds and use that heavy armour if you get flanked and shoot in the head by a player rushing a position you did not expect early in the round, or shooting you from one position to draw your attention and circling you while your attention is focused at the last known enemy position. Speed is a vital part of the game:)

How many skilled players actually experience that they use up all the bullets in their inventory without having a good k/d if they are not playing a role with focus on suppressive fire. How many players experience that wow - If I had not used heavy armour now, I would have lost the engagement - My guess is quite low against skilled enemies.

Don't get me wrong. If you are lucky and skilled, you might end up with empty mags and would need to go resupply or pick up an enemy weapon, but in most cases, those extra rounds and heavy armour will bring you more problems than solutions. -And if you have not gotten at least 3 kills (1 kill for each mag, is that much to ask?) by then (which means you have done a good job already and contributed to helping your team win), you are either playing a suppressive fire role, or doing something wrong.

And armour is only useful if your enemy keeps strafing you and have a bad aim. That is something I would not rely on against skilled opponents.

It is in my opinion a difference between the average loadout weight among soldiers who is equipped with backpacks and supplied to withstand and be able to endure weeks of traveling in hostile territory, and the setting we are presented in this game, which in my mind is more like:

We have to clear out this hostile area while our supply depot (water, food and other supplies for a significant time) is stashed away at a CASEVAC at safe distance.

In other words, these soldiers are not moving around with their sleeping bags etc but are prepared for a hit and run mission during a short timeframe.

last edited by Pacalis

@pacalis Depends a lot on what game mode you're playing too. I play a lot of co-op, and often run heavy armor. A few times I've taken 2 or 3 hits without going down and thought I was glad to have the heavy armor. I usually run a light carrier and resupply at most of the objectives, I'll typically take out 40+ bots in a match, so ammo can certainly run low.

I'm not really a fan of the massive packs modeled in the game. No one conducting urban combat operations is going to be wearing such a pack. Everyone should have dumped their packs at the truck, then go back and get them after the fighting is over.

@whitby I said it's hardly noticeable most of the time. Having a bit of sway at extreme range doesn't conflict with that. In Sandstorm, after someone misses you a few times it substantially affects your aim in close quarters.

last edited by cyoce

@cyoce My argument was that sway should be influenced by weight / stamina. The suppression effects from Ins2014 were far better than the pathetic attempt at weapon sway they've implemented in place of supression effects in Sandstorm.

@whitby
I am with you that the effect may be too strong after too few shots in Sand vs Ins14 if that’s what you mean?

@pacalis Why should it even be there? Why not have Ins2014 gunplay and Ins2014 suppression...