Creating custom dynamic models, grass, and plants

@tattoo said in Creating custom dynamic models, grass, and plants:

And from the little I played with lights on my loop, InnerCone and OutterCone describes the top and bottom of a cone. Inner would be the small, upper part and Outter would be the large, bottom part of the cone created by the light. There's also a length setting but it's been a while since I messed with em and don't remember. I'd have to experiment more. Sorry.

I got the InnerCone figured out and documented. It's not quite how you describe, but it all makes perfect sense now.

@Tattoo

ModelMaterial
<ModelMaterial NoOcclusion="true" IsWheelTracks="true" />

Where do you insert that line code??
That´s not the same as wheeltracks??
Thanks

The ModelMaterial tag is a child of the Material tag (in the mesh XML).

Last night I added notes to all of the WheelTracks and IsWheelTracks properties to make it clear that they're not the same thing. You might need to refresh the BBMMM page if you've had it open since then.

Some of you requested a PDF for offline viewing (and I rather wanted one myself). I've added a link to the PDF in the "Introduction" section of the guide. The PDF has somewhat improved formatting, but may be less up-to-date than the online version.

@chris-nelson,
Hey Chris, do you recall a code to keep grass from coming thru a static model? I got a couple concrete things and grass comes up thru them. Looks stupid. Thanks

@tattoo Nope, there's no protection for a distribution coming through a model. You have to go around all your models clearing the distribution density or changing the material to keep grass and plants out. (My maps tend to end up with a few custom materials just so that I can do this.)

I made a breakthrough, so I was able to add sections for creating a custom non-road overlay (conforming overlay or wire overlay). I also updated the PDF to match.

So i've almost finished creating a custom plant but I can't get the tree to stay grounded and unmovable. Do you guys know what code needs to be put in the xml files to lock down my custom tree?

@chris-nelson,

Is there a section that explains how to add a trailer to the map that isn't attached to a truck? I tried adding a trailer to a map just by itself and it won't work. Thanks

@tattoo Add Truck > Edit (on the bottom right) > Select a Trailor From List.

@tattoo Yes, under "Select Truck Components", "Choose the Truck Type":

"In the truck selection dialog you can choose to select a trailer instead of a truck. If you select a trailer this way (instead of the usual trailer selection below), the trailer is parked by itself as if it is a truck. Logs can be loaded on this trailer as described in the addons section below."

@pix3lmonkey said in Creating custom dynamic models, grass, and plants:

So i've almost finished creating a custom plant but I can't get the tree to stay grounded and unmovable. Do you guys know what code needs to be put in the xml files to lock down my custom tree?

Sorry for the late response. I'm still not used to the notification system here.

The standard way is to give Mass="0" to the body at the base of your body hierarchy. This will prevent it from moving at all.

You could also put a constraint on the base body, e.g. with Type="Fixed". This constraint is implicitly attached to the world. The fixed constraint allows a bit of spring, but no large-scale movement. In this case, a higher mass will reduce the spring movement.

maybe ImpactType="Foliage" still works? at least that's what was used in the "old" spintires

I updated the PDF with recent updates that have been accumulating in the Steam guide:

• Corrected description of initial fuel, damage, and repair points for trucks.
  • Added reference information for US trucks.
  • Added information about how to hand-edit the navigation map.
  • Added summary icons throughout the custom features sections to indicate when changed XML properties are applied and which color channels are used by XML properties that specify a color or texture.
  • Added more information regarding IsClampV.
  • Added more detail regarding all types of model shadows.

@chris-nelson, This guide you put together is very useful. There are tags that I don't know what they do and your guide has them all in there to know what they do. You did a great job on this. Thanks a lot. I find myself checking it when I see a tag that I'm wondering what it does. Very useful. Thank you.

Thanks, @tattoo , it's great to hear that it's a useful reference for more than just me.

I added the Old-timers trucks and trailers to the Truck Reference section (along with the various new cross-DLC connections and constraints that they trigger). I also updated the PDF to 1.4.