Questions about the new "Epic Skirmish" mode announced today

Two really quick questions about the new mode coming out:

1: Will the maps be larger in this mode to accommodate the higher fleet size?

2: Is it possible that we could see 3v3 or even 4v4 battles with the larger fleet size?

@Westonsammy ,

1. Very interesting question. We will probably do some tests to see how many ships can fit in the actual map (titan ships included) and we will adjust the map size if necessary.

2. Frankly, this is very unlikely... Although I'm sure this could be a lot of fun, I doubt we can offer a reliable experience with so many players. However, we will make sure to discuss this point before taking any action.

Cheers!

@blexus-falconer said in Questions about the new "Epic Skirmish" mode announced today:

1. Frankly, this is very unlikely... Although I'm sure this could be a lot of fun, I doubt we can offer a reliable experience with so many players. However, we will make sure to discuss this point before taking any action.

What do you mean by "reliable experience"? Do you mean from a technical / stability view or do you mean player interactions? I obviously can not comment on the first but the latter could be quite a treat for competetive groups of players, to be honest. The amount of possible combinations and tactics could be pretty awesome.

@hironymus

I believe it's in reference to the fact the game is already fairly unstable for quite a few people. Tossing even more variables in to the mix might make it completely worthless. And that's to say nothing of the precious balance being affected by combining abilities from two different fleets.

@Romeo

Precisely. We'd prefer to improve and stabilise the actual 1v1 / 2v2 battle experiences first. Not mentioning the balancing of course.

@Hironymus

Technically, I'm not sure we can manage to host a game with 6 or 8 players on the same map with their respective fleets : with all ships projectiles, and visual FX running wild... This is a subject we need to investigate and discuss. Internal tests may probably happen to verify whether it is doable or not.

I am quite intrigued by those tests because again, this sounds very funny to play with so many players at the same time šŸ˜„

last edited by Blexus Falconer

Will there be more options for choosing fleet-sizes in both skirmish and MP? (Smaller - Current - Larger - EPIC mode for example) Having larger battles (and also including the "titans" ) is something that has always been requested from the fans and Im delighted that Tindalos is listening to us when it comes to this. Altough I mainly play Skirmish, Im going forward and also asking for the MP community since we have a Dev here.

I would say that 3v3 or 4v4 battles would be very nice addition to the game...i am having much more fun in 2v2 than in 1v1 so far, and more ppl means more fun šŸ˜‰

@blexus-falconer
Pretty much expected that. I am sure you guys will figure it out in time.

It's by the way great that you guys spend time communicating through the forum with us. Shows how much you care. šŸ™‚

I'm sincerely hoping that including giant units means we'll eventually end up with one for each Faction. Because at the moment, almost all the giant units go to the human factions. There's no Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, Ork, Necron or Tyranid ones, as far as I'm aware.

@romeo Iā€™m willing to bet that the Necrons have one, but it would require agripina to not be the end of my campaigns to find out.

@romeo Well, we could get the World Engine for the Necrons (something like that was spotted in the trailers), we have already seen there exists a model for an Aeldari Craftworld, and the Orks should get Space Hulks, as the model exists from the previous game.