AI : is it worse than in the first opus ?

I am playing the Imperium campaign on Normal difficulty and I was under the impression the enemy AI never make use of skills like plasma bomb/ stasis bomb
They only use boarding/stances/squadrons ordinances but all the more advanced (even torpedoes) seem to be missing for AI

Is it just an impression or the AI is just not able to use skills requiring aiming/leading of the target ?
In the first opus, iirc, they used it all the time

Also, when you reveal a ship, the AI still just put full throttle as it is not stealth anymore (it was like that in BF:GA1 too) so it just go suicide into your fleet. No improvement here

@alien109 said in AI : is it worse than in the first opus ?:

I am playing the Imperium campaign on Normal difficulty and I was under the impression the enemy AI never make use of skills like plasma bomb/ stasis bomb
They only use boarding/stances/squadrons ordinances but all the more advanced (even torpedoes) seem to be missing for AI

Is it just an impression or the AI is just not able to use skills requiring aiming/leading of the target ?
In the first opus, iirc, they used it all the time

Also, when you reveal a ship, the AI still just put full throttle as it is not stealth anymore (it was like that in BF:GA1 too) so it just go suicide into your fleet. No improvement here

Not sure what's going on with your fleet, but the AI definitely use bombs in mine, even on Normal difficulty. They're even able to "plan ahead" to a degree, by leading my ships.

And the reason they don't automatically boost when revealed is because they save boosting for tactical situations. If they can avoid a bomb, for example, the computer will. But they won't waste it just because it's there.

@romeo about the boost, what happens for me ingame is totally the opposite of what you described

The AI will just boost toward me as soon as they are spotted. This means that if you spot one cruiser, the AI will activate full ahead with it to close the gap ASAP thus sending a ship alone
They do not seem to try to evade my AoE attacks neither (or maybe I do them at the right time with exhausted gauge without even knowing)

But indeed the AI do small boost periods to avoid spending the whole gauge at once. That's the only thing they seem to manage correctly

last edited by ALIEN109

I've had the AI happily chilling out when I drop a stasis bomb on top of them or trying to fly through a piece fo massive terrain with a small frigate and getting stuck there. It's ehm. Interesting to see. But it's as dumb as bricks yeah

Yeah AI is somewhere between "Bad but okaish" and "pants on Head retarded"

What it loves to do is, going for objectives. No second thought given.

It Tends to even abbadon fights it could easy win to Grab another space circle.

And if it sits in one it does sit there. And if you manage to block the capture Progress by flying in. It Stays there anyway. Even if your ship is an engine less crippled Imperial BB and it has a fully funktional aeldari cruiser which could just capture every other point.

And if the AI has a really Bright day, it might even refuse to change facing on his ship which Tries to cap. So you can park behind it and simply destroy it with no damage Taken.

BFGA AI is terrible when playing domination. They got cap points ignore everything else syndrom.

The AI is sadly enough quite predictable in certain matchups. I don't play domination in the campaign, but even without points to capture, I often find myself setting up firing lines and then sending out a probe. The moment it detects the enemy, they will boost, I will put down one of those stasis fields in their path, they will enter it, get stuck, get nova cannoned or just simply barraged to smithereens.

I think if the enemy just tried to say, flank my units, or work with squads of units that don't go in a direct line, that would make a big difference, but right now, they don't do any of the sort, it's a shame, it means even in battles where I'm very much outnumbered or outgunned, I can win if I can predict the enemies movements.