Suggestions for improving boarding actions

I love almost everything about this game.

The new more streamlined skills selection makes learning/playing lot easier, the campaign is massive and a lot more enjoyable than the last one, races a lot more balanced now and the objective markers make the whole kiting nightmare from the first game a lot less frustrating. It improves on nearly every aspect of the last game except boarding. I understand using troop numbers and need to remove the randomness of boarding actions from last game, but I feel I was a lot more satisfied with the results. Right now with any brawler faction, boarding actions kinda take out the battle in Battlefleet Gothic.

You just charge and in an instant everything is over. The issue is how fast it happens. The whole click and kill nature of boarding actions right now provides no satisfaction to either delivering it or receiving it. I have main SM since the first game, and right now I never feel like I outplayed my opponent, I just got a bunch of light cruisers and charged my opponent as fast as possible, played an internet-browser-cursor-speed-click game and then either I win or I don't.

So here are some suggestions to change:

1. Boarding Actions should do troop damage overtime. Since the issue is how instantaneous boarding actions are, this would give time to counterplay or atleast use the troop reinforcement skill to counter act it. Usually when you have multiple boarding actions hit you, you don't even get the time to click on the skill before you are hulked.

2. Boarding Actions can't Hulk a ship unless it's below a certain health threshold, if health threshold isn't met then boarding actions simply cause more damage until it meets that threshold.

3. Reduce overall boarding action troop damage but give boarding action some hull damage value.

These are just a few issues I have with boarding. I hope they change something about it because right now getting a boarding action just doesn't feel exciting.

What do you all think?

last edited by Tigerlord40k

Well i would go with damage over time, so the defender has at least time to react, going from full to zero is rather frustrating and not really challenging.

And capping troop damage would be nice aswell, i would even say, defender should not be able to drop below 1 troop from boarding. (Collateral damage from ramming and bombers should still be able to hulk a ship, those are easier to counter play)

But if the defender is at 1 troop, Red step, his ship should suffer harsh drawbacks like 70% to reload time and skill cooldowns. So a in firefights, rather weak fleet like marines, would be able to win the shooting battle after boarding the enemy.

This would add a bit more strategy to boarding too, for now boarding is all or nothing, nobody really uses boarding to get an advantage in ranged fights. Alltought thats perfectly possible.

@androas said in Suggestions for improving boarding actions:

Well i would go with damage over time, so the defender has at least time to react, going from full to zero is rather frustrating and not really challenging.

And capping troop damage would be nice aswell, i would even say, defender should not be able to drop below 1 troop from boarding. (Collateral damage from ramming and bombers should still be able to hulk a ship, those are easier to counter play)

But if the defender is at 1 troop, Red step, his ship should suffer harsh drawbacks like 70% to reload time and skill cooldowns. So a in firefights, rather weak fleet like marines, would be able to win the shooting battle after boarding the enemy.

This would add a bit more strategy to boarding too, for now boarding is all or nothing, nobody really uses boarding to get an advantage in ranged fights. Alltought thats perfectly possible.

Disagree about not being able to drop below one troop - that's a silly line in the sand to draw for basically any non-Tyranid faction (Whose ships are alive by nature). However, I do agree about the damage over time aspect. Would make boarding far more of an interesting concept than it is now.

I think the there should be some sort of incentive for boarding a ship without hulking it. Getting a ship to red crew now only applies a 20% debuff to the ship, I think that should be doubled. Combine that with adding a little bit more crew (1.25 times or so) and I think players will be incentivised to not fully hulk most ships due to the resource expenditures involved. I think this would allow factions that rely on boarding to be able to level the playing field as far as DPS but still make it hard to hulk.
Maybe make the extra crew scaling with level of crew damage(i.e. green crew number:10, yellow crew number: 13, red crew number: 16) It could even be justified in lore as people are pulled away from normal tasks to help shore up boarding defenses.