A suggestion regarding boarding changes - inspired by the TT Rulebook!

Howdy!

A significant number of people complain about boarding in the current state of the game. I have a proposition to reduce its weight in the game, without reducing its potency!

In Armada, the Teleport Strike ability goes pretty far (quite further than normal boarding), but requires shields do be down. As we all know, it's not really hard to get shields down - thus enabling teleport strikes (and Space Marines' Honour the Chapter ability as well) against a single ship and transforming it into a drifting hulk in mere seconds. What I advocate is to reduce both abilities' distances by a LOT.

This is an excerpt from the Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook (tabletop), regarding Teleport Strikes in general:

"A ship may make a teleport attack in the end phase against an enemy ship, that has no shields, within 10cm." (the end phase part can be ignored here)

As 30cm in this game is more or less 9000 units, 10cm would be close to 3000 units. So, ships wanting do perform such actions would need to be VERY CLOSE to their intended targets, making it a more dangerous prospect than simply sniping enemies from 13500 units (45cm in TT terms!!)

What do you guys think?

===

The normal boarding in the TT could only be done if the ships were in base contact (in Armada, it's more or less when they're almost in contact with each other... 500-1000 units?). But Tyranids aside, I don't know if the normal boarding method is really overwhelming. I'm okay with how they work.

last edited by VectorStrike

Hey there @VectorStrike

Thanks for these thoughts on boarding. It's a topic the team is looking at very closely, and we recently mentioned some future changes to it in our patch one announcement. I'll paste it here for you (for the full text, see here).

As we mentioned earlier, we are always listening to your feedback, and one thing we noticed was that not everyone are entirely happy with the current state of boarding. As a result, we are hard at work on a new and improved boarding system. While we can’t go into every detail, the new system will have a stacking mechanic whereby troop damage is dealt gradually over time depending on the number of “boarding stacks”. This will allow players a chance to hold back the invaders using a reimagined Call to Arms ability. We look forward to revealing more details about this in the near future.

Oh, I forgot another line that would immensely help people stop spamming light cruisers and looking more at bigger ships:

"In addition, a ship can't make a teleport attack against a target with more hits at that point in the battle than it has itself."

That means ships with very little HP remaining (TT's hits = Armada's HP) wouldn't be able to use Teleport Strike against ships with more total HP than themselves (perhaps relative HP would be a more understandable mechanic to the players). That alone would make people vie for beefier ships instead of hordes of smaller ones... I think.

@vectorstrike said in A suggestion regarding boarding changes - inspired by the TT Rulebook!:

Oh, I forgot another line that would immensely help people stop spamming light cruisers and looking more at bigger ships:

"In addition, a ship can't make a teleport attack against a target with more hits at that point in the battle than it has itself."

That means ships with very little HP remaining (TT's hits = Armada's HP) wouldn't be able to use Teleport Strike against ships with more total HP than themselves (perhaps relative HP would be a more understandable mechanic to the players). That alone would make people vie for beefier ships instead of hordes of smaller ones... I think.

I can't speak for others, but by god no, that'd be absolutely terrible in my eyes.

• Battleships would be borderline unassailable by boarding.
  • Lightning Strike would be hilariously pointless.
  • Weakened ships would be unable to contribute much of anything on Tyranid and Space Marine fleets.

SM (and tyranids?) have lower HP ships compared to other factions so they won t be able to board?

also just makes little sense
why wouldnt you be able to teleport onto a big target with bigger hallways so you have less chance of ending up merged into the wall
there is already a generator crit to disabling teleportariums

do hope hulking removes boarding charges on the ship in the upcoming boarding change
doesnt make sense that you kill everyone onboard but leave the boarding parties safe in their pods

@Romeo in the current meta, BS are totally useless (for most fleets) precisely because they are vulnerables to boarding spam (what the TT book try to prevent).

@von-krieger said in A suggestion regarding boarding changes - inspired by the TT Rulebook!:

@Romeo in the current meta, BS are totally useless (for most fleets) precisely because they are vulnerables to boarding spam (what the TT book try to prevent).

I'm not quite sure swinging the pendulum back the other way and then ripping it off the clock is the correct response to that issue.

I don't think lightning strike needs a nerf.

What I could see is that most ships WOULDN'T have a teleportarium lore wise.

It is rare, and it would mostly be just placed on battleships, SM and AM ships.

But yeah, I would leave it alone.

I do think battleships need to be more protected from boarding and critical hits, but that's a different story.

last edited by Imperator