Scuttle, orks and boarding rework.

Since boarding is getting reworked in the new patch, I'd also love to see scuttle getting reworked. I've lost a fair share of battles as orks just because I can't boost away from enemy ship self-destruction since I had to spend my red button to board it in the first place. Not to mention possibly getting critted on my engines on the way there.

I think that there should be some delay before you can skulk a ship. Right now it feels very discouraging to hulk a ship as orks, since opponent mashes skuttle button right away, as soon as I kill that last crewmember and I cant do anything about it despite seeing it comming. And dodging it can be impossible, since you have to spend a red button to board it in the first place. Not to mention that you are supposed to be ramming ships with it at all times.

In order to hulk a ship in reasonable time you have to use sideboarding, but this puts you rather close. If you try to stay back while hulking a ship, then
1). you risk letting your opponent re-populate hulk with his own boarding and slip away
2). you might not have enough juice to hulk a ship and it slips away
3). take too much time to hulk him.

Since boarding is getting reworked, I'd like ship self-destruct to get reworked too. Successfully scuttling a ship should be a rare and rewarding thing to pull off. I propose at least a 10-15 seconds delay before scuttle becomes available.

Scuttle is not instantaneous and provides a marker for when it occurs. I disagree with the recommendation, 10 to 15 delay in being able to activate it would make this a useless function for every faction as everyone else faster ships. As it is now, it's situational at best but comes with the price of giving up vp's for the ship and the chance to use the ship later in the game.

Have you tried boosting in the near area of the ship you're targeting? Boarding has a pretty decent range and would leave your ships on the out skirts of the potential scuttle. Also, why not just hold back the final boarding action until you are further away and then just use a lightning strike? Also, keep in mind, if the opposing play scuttles a ship, that's VP's for you.

yea as a nid player the scuttle time seems just about right currently
risky but doable
sometimes i need to realize im not getting out and instead charge in with a few more ships to kill the ship before it blows up
as orks you have boarding torps and lightning strikes
aim generators so your sure you can kill the last few people with a lightning strike

more delay time would remove all risk
especially for factions like boarding chaos
would make scuttles worthless which they shouldnt be

Frankly, I don't understand who's activating the bombs during scuttle anyways. If anything, it should require a minimum of one crew to scuttle (Which would tie in even better with the upcoming troop damage over time change). If you take out their crew before the scuttle completes, it should stop the process.

Just to clarify, by 10-15 second delay to scuttle I've meant time before you can hit "scuttle" button. Scuttle itself happens just as fast. Generally the only way to counter scuttle is to move away, since if you've been targetting ship with boarding it will have most of it's hull intact. I try to set ships that I intend to hulk as a lowest for target priority.

TBH I do ike Romeo's suggestion, as it accomplishes more or less the same thing, makes more sense (really, who self-destructs the ship, angry ghosts?) has counterplay other than moving and lets boarding side counter scuttle by saving a charge of boarding action.

@romeo said in Scuttle, orks and boarding rework.:

Frankly, I don't understand who's activating the bombs during scuttle anyways. If anything, it should require a minimum of one crew to scuttle (Which would tie in even better with the upcoming troop damage over time change). If you take out their crew before the scuttle completes, it should stop the process.

Nonsens because ships are instahulked in many situations. The counterpart of ramming/boarding spam tactics is scuttle, precisely.

The crew indicator refers to the operational level of the ship, not the crew itselve. "0" does not mean that there is not a single living member left, which would be unimaginable for ships that have about 60,000 crewmen, but not enough to run the ship.

@von-krieger said in Scuttle, orks and boarding rework.:

@romeo said in Scuttle, orks and boarding rework.:

Nonsens because ships are instahulked in many situations. The counterpart of ramming/boarding spam tactics is scuttle, precisely.

The crew indicator refers to the operational level of the ship, not the crew itselve. "0" does not mean that there is not a single living member left, which would be unimaginable for ships that have about 60,000 crewmen, but not enough to run the ship.

Again, just to reiterate what you replied to: They're changing the mechanics of boarding so that insta-hulking is impossible to occur instantly. It's going to be a damage-over-time system.

After the changes to boarding hoes live, this will already be handled and no additional delay is needed.

The delay the OP would like to see will already be implemented, just not between hulking and scuttle, but between boarding and hulking.

The over-time nature of boarding will give you time to start moving away before the ship is hulked, thrus making it easier to dodge the scuttle.