Underhive wars is going to be awful - heres why

@NaloaC We are moving forward and are doing all we can to ensure we will deliver a game on par with our vision. Development is moving forward daily and we will have more info in the following months.

In the short term, I can tell you there's a strong chance we won't be at E3. We are still iterating our our game from the closed playtest we had earlier this year and from internal feedback we are getting form the team. The main takeaway is that we are investing all the time, efforts, and resources we can muster to get this game to bloom into it's best self.

We'll have plenty of things to share with you folks when the time comes. We strongly feel rushing the game out the door would be the wrong thing to do, so bear with us, it'll be worth it.

We also have an official Discord channel where we chat with the community if you'd like to join.
https://discord.gg/zeazCU

Cheers!
Frank, for the Rogue Factor Team.

@NaloaC said in Underhive wars is going to be awful - heres why:

At this point in time and the complete lack of any substantial interaction with the community, I'm not holding my breath for anything to be released this year before Q4.

And that's a reasonable stance to take. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the relase gets pushed further back if the need arises.

I understand the anxiety caused by lack of information and find it somewhat annoying, but what would really worry me is a potential lack of testing the game before releasing it. I did read a post that there were some alpha tests taken, with the help of Mordheim players, so I am relatively confident that if something needs to be changed, these people will give developers the info they need to adjust accordingly.

Mordheim: City of the Damned itself is a pretty good prognostic - it's a solid game, even today. And this comes from someone who (like me) had no clue about the tabletop version of it. What I hope to be improved (if Necromunda: Underhive is going to share anything with Mordheim: City of the Damned) is better, clearer UI and navigation.

last edited by Holy

I keep hearing that Mordheim was a solid game.

1. The Large Unit bug persists unfixed till today, large units controlled by AI keep getting stuck!
  2. The UI is early 2000's you can't use items you pick up during battle, skip turns for whole squad and many many more comfort of life things that are simply not there.
  3. Customisation of warband is slim, all Items look the same.
  4. Many skills are pointless
  5. The DLC's where grabby, with reskins of mercenaries , no dwarfs, orks etc.

Having said that i still played a ton of the game for nostalgia reasons but it surely was not solid and my trust in the developer to deliver a polished product and to support it for a decent amount of time is very limited,.

@mankind said in Underhive wars is going to be awful - heres why:

I keep hearing that Mordheim was a solid game.

1. The Large Unit bug persists unfixed till today, large units controlled by AI keep getting stuck!
  2. The UI is early 2000's you can't use items you pick up during battle, skip turns for whole squad and many many more comfort of life things that are simply not there.
  3. Customisation of warband is slim, all Items look the same.
  4. Many skills are pointless
  5. The DLC's where grabby, with reskins of mercenaries , no dwarfs, orks etc.

Having said that i still played a ton of the game for nostalgia reasons but it surely was not solid and my trust in the developer to deliver a polished product and to support it for a decent amount of time is very limited,.

I think you may be misunderstanding what most refer to when they say a game is "solid." Especially when your negative critiques then turn out to be very subjective.

Mordheim is a solid game. It run well, it does what it set out to do, and there aren't that many bugs. It is a game made by a small studio, and yet avoids a lot of issues that many AAA big-name studios still muck up and get wrong.

Sure, more customization would be nice. But that doesn't make the game less solid. It just means you want more eye-candy and more differentiation. I thought the DLCs were very nice, inexpensive, and the undead gang well worth it. Items don't look the same between gangs, and I can't imagine why you would want the same item to look different in the same gang and have a bunch of mismatched stuff out there, so that's a weird complaint too, particularly about this somehow making the game "unsolid."

The point is that Mordheim was this small studio's first attempt at this IP with GW. It worked, and worked well. Mordheim wasn't the best game of the year, or my favorite game, but it is a wonderful game that I've sunk a LOT of hours into and continue to play. If Necromunda was only as good as Mordheim, I'd be super delighted and play the shit out of it.

I'm certain Necromunda will be better than Mordheim. The proof-of-concept that was Mordheim was plenty good enough to justify buying and playing. The studio has learned a lot. They have more resources. They have a larger IP this time, with more background, more plot, more art, more history. GW is much more friendly to their IP being developed into video games now than they were even when Mordheim came out. I fully expect a lot more customization, and hopefully a lot more content. I'm guessing we'll have to spring for extra gangs as part of DLC, but if that allows longer main-line support of the game, that is a net positive for all of us.

The only thing I'd change about the Necromunda development at this point, the ONLY thing, is the ongoing lack of communication. It is still irritating. And truthfully, it is impossible to know what things are going to be better or worse or the same as Mordheim without more communication.