Start Up Fatal Error - [Resolved]

0_1550479559734_Example Image 03.jpg

So, I've just downloaded BFG:A II today and have hit the same issue as I did with BFG:A I for seven months. On startup, the game is crashing without fail at the shown section in the image above.

I have attempted the Alt F4 trick that worked with the original game, alas no luck there. Additionally I have cleared out the appdata file and verified the file integrity via steam but that has also come up with no results.

System details are listed below in case that will provide some assistance. I hope I can get some assistance soon as I don't want a repeat of what happened with BFG:A 1.

0_1550479943735_part 1.jpg
0_1550479957832_part 2.jpg

Best Regards,
Alexi~

last edited by Archmagos Alexi

Hey @Archmagos-Alexi
We noticed that you are currently running the game on an integrated intel HD graphics card. This is what is causing the problem, since it's below the minimum specifications for the game.

If you actually have a better graphics card but the game is still defaulting to the integrated card, please assign the Battlefleet Gothic: Armada II application to the Radeon display device:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017
Browse to Steam > steamapps > common > Battlefleet Gothic Armada II > BattlefleetGothic2 > Binaries > Win64.

Select the BattlefleetGothic2-Win64-Shipping.exe application.

We hope this helps!

Hello Alexi !

So, the dump files you send us suggest that the problem is linked with the screen resolution and/or the way the engine get and apply the resolution change.

So there's a thing you could try to avoid the game to force a resolution change at launch :
In your %LocalAppData%\BattlefleetGothic2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Game.ini modify the following line (or add it if needed):
bFirstLaunch=False

If the game still doesn't launch, you can try to force a windowed mode or a specific resolution by using launch options, that you specify in the game property window in steam :
"-windowed" to force windowed mode
"-ResX=1920 -ResY=1080" to force a specific resolution

Hope that will be enough to workaround your issue. We couldn't reproduce it on our end, so it's pretty hard to know what's going on exactly...

@jellyfoosh said in Start Up Fatal Error - Suggested Fixes Not Working:

We noticed that you are currently running the game on an integrated intel HD graphics card. This is what is causing the problem, since it's below the minimum specifications for the game.

If you actually have a better graphics card but the game is still defaulting to the integrated card, please assign the Battlefleet Gothic: Armada II application to the Radeon display device:

I've tested this method, it appears that it didn't resolve the issue unfortunately. However, it looks like it won't be necessary.

@atomik said in Start Up Fatal Error - Suggested Fixes Not Working:

So, the dump files you send us suggest that the problem is linked with the screen resolution and/or the way the engine get and apply the resolution change.

So there's a thing you could try to avoid the game to force a resolution change at launch :
In your %LocalAppData%\BattlefleetGothic2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Game.ini modify the following line (or add it if needed):
bFirstLaunch=False

Thankfully this worked wonders, game is now safely in the menu. Thank you so much for the help yet again Atomik, looks like I owe you twice now for getting Battlefleet Gothic running for me 🙂

The Emperor Protects, and Chaos Provides~

Cheerful Regards,
~Alexi

Great ! Glad that your issue was solved faster than for bfg1 ;).

FIY we're working to implement a fix in the next patch, to avoid using this workaround.
Still, if someone else have the same problem and want to try this, be aware that all the ingame settings will be non initialized. So you will have to go to the options screen, and set all settings one by one to avoid any strange behavior.

cheers,