Bot AI

Bots aiming:
Unfortunately the bots are still pistol marksmen and out of all my hits in COOP (while playing CTE) 80% were headshots.
I hope this will get fixed soon, because it is just like someone mentioned here before, it's like playing against a random generator. It doesn't matter what guns the bots are using, it can be an old rusty AK with iron sights from the 60s, or it could be a pistol too, they'll eventually pick you off with a headshot even from great range.
If we could get an insight to how your bots' aiming behaviour works, maybe we could try searching for a solution.

Bots getting shot:
Since weapons in Sandstorm are a lot more underpowered than in the original Insurgency, bots getting shot needs to be properly looked at. Right now I can shoot a bot with a 7.62x51 bullet, his animation does a slight flinch, but he still keeps shooting at me accurately. If you guys won't adjust your bullet damage (and possibly penetration, since I couldn't kill an enemy through a door), you should at least add a wounded animation to the bots.
As of this moment, bots can still sprint on the battlefield, can still shoot accurately even after being shot multiple times.

Another thing I noticed is that bots have much better bullet penetration. I've been playing on the refinery map where a bot constantly kept shooting at me through a box. (he saw me I crouched quickly)
We both kept shooting at each other, I used full auto and emptied literally 30-40 rounds into the box which he was standing behind. He shot at me but missed a lot of times, except once and then another shot which killed me. He shot around 10 rounds. I saw the bulletholes appearing through the box that's how I know what shot lead to my death.
So how is it possible that a bot with the AKM can penetrate a simple box but my M249 cannot penetrate, not even after 40 rounds.
I remember in the normal game, I could never kill anyone through an object, not even a door a thin metal fence, yet this bot does magic.

The thing is that I've hit a few bots running at full sprint, which means they should be "tagged" and slow down drastically. Right?

Nope. Fucker keeps on running an Olympic marathon without breaking a sweat.

last edited by MarksmanMax

I fear they are resistant to advice regarding this subject...

They need a dedicated team just to fix the BS bots... the molotov bug is still happening, not as often as before i admit, but it is still an issue.
Also the auto snap to you head is also still happening, tracking through the walls? yup, still there...
It is extremely frustrating sometimes. I agree with hard AF bots, but this is just unfair.

Another point of note is that bots spawn WAY TOO CLOSE to objectives, particularly in the cases where they're also spawning in directly on top of players and spawning in on the previous objective as it's taken.

It makes little to no sense why bots would be spawning in behind the previously taken objectives as for players in push that would be a no-go zone.

Bots should be spawning by the NEXT objective initially, and respawns should be an equal distance from it as the attackers have to get back to it if they die (though it's just stupid to have to run back 250m if you die and then being a certain loss at that point if there's just 1 bot on the objective you were defending..).

@consolefreaked - probably now they are focused on Redit - we should try to get them there ..

@SorinN said in Bot AI:

@consolefreaked - probably now they are focused on Redit - we should try to get them there ..

I'd be mad that you revived a three-month-old post, except for the fact that this post is still relevant lmao.

Still, though, I doubt a post on the CTE side of the Forums will get a mod's attention. I'm working on a post here where I'm trying to find and list every single AI issue.

last edited by MarksmanMax

@MarksmanMax then you may be my friend on this topic - I am following the game now (800 hours in Sandstorm), I get a lot of video material so if we are a group maybe we can cap their attention (because the game is going down with all new game styles .. ), they must raise AI level for Coop at least at the level of Arma 2 (which is an old game but way better bots there ..) and they should fix that LongDistanceInstaHipHeadshot or at least that abnormal 90 / 180 degree -non-inertial-turn- which has nothing to do with reality (we can't do this in real life because of inertial momentum which is related to mass and speed).

@SorinN said in Bot AI:

hey must raise AI level for Coop at least at the level of Arma 2 (which is an old game but way better bots there ..) and they should fix that LongDistanceInstaHipHeadshot or at least that abnormal 90 / 180 degree -non-inertial-turn- which has nothing to do with reality

I mean, the hardcore AI's actually pretty good if you ignore the major flaws that are currently in-game lmao.

@MarksmanMax said in Bot AI:

@SorinN said in Bot AI:

hey must raise AI level for Coop at least at the level of Arma 2 (which is an old game but way better bots there ..) and they should fix that LongDistanceInstaHipHeadshot or at least that abnormal 90 / 180 degree -non-inertial-turn- which has nothing to do with reality

I mean, the hardcore AI's actually pretty good if you ignore the major flaws that are currently in-game lmao.

How can something be pretty good when it has major flaws? Just to mark it... 😉

The bot A.I. is absolutely underwhelming in a lot of aspects - otherwise there wouldn't be this amount of threads complaining about it.

It could help alot if they would consider to do a plausibility check for the bot behaviour and capabilities to get rid of the biggest flaws.

Anyway, I think we are talking against a wall.

@Helsing1789 said in Bot AI:

Anyway, I think we are talking against a wall.

If you mean the devs and moderators, then I'd have to agree. Honestly, the devs have so rarely tried to even fix anything AI-related. They joked about LGMS (Laser Guided Molotov System) and that it was fixed in a patch, but guess what? It's not, and I'm using that "joke" term to show a major AI issue.

I've even got a video I put together that pretty accurately sums up Hardcore Checkpoint with the current AI, made a post tagging the mod who asked for it, and he hasn't responded back to me. At this point, I'm just considering giving up.

@MarksmanMax just for the sake of walltracking / hacking - I've made a recent cut Youtube Video

Hey @SorinN

Thanks for the clip! I'll pass it on to the devs.

... still not fixed (August 2019 new CTE), should I place here more videos ? - how many videos they need to understand this is a showstopper bug ?.