Hard Difficulty unplayable?

Have any of you masochists had any chance of completing this game on Hard Difficulty? I have found it impossible to do and opted for normal difficulty so i could get a feel of the campaign before trying to game and when the first part of the bug invasion comes in a i ask myself. HOW the FRACK do people survive this on Hard. Invasions are out the ass and down right abnoxious as they are in Normal difficulty. Tell me your success and sob stories.

I completed the imperial campaign on hard. I think that the key is to take your time. Decide what sectors you want to keep and consolidate. The urgency bar can be reset by completing a single mission, so you're not forced to be super quick.

Just abuse IA. It’s not that hard.

@canardnoir said in Hard Difficulty unplayable?:

Just abuse IA. It’s not that hard.

IA?

@aram_thehead. Ah ok. So its impossible to hold all systems and to just fortify those that are important.

you can hold every system, but you have to game the battle AI. it has problems with avoiding AoE stuff and torpedos, especially in the capture-modus. if you can reliably beat invasions with half the fleet-power, you are pretty much golden.

last edited by Fosil

IA is French for AI 🙂
As soon as you can get some Novas, Hard difficulty is like Normal, spam Nova on the dumb AI then kill the remaining enemies

I'm on turn 70sth of Hard Imperial (not a speed run by any means). The game is incredibly easy (I'm lvl 8 and have 6+fleets).

• Upgrade systems that give revenue (Hive Worlds etc) and shipyards,
  • add mines,
  • get battleplans in the battles that spawn them,
  • don't be hasty with story missions, they will reset the urgency bar. If everything is ok, simply build up your fleets and systems,
  • unfortunately the AI doesn't register AOE attacks. So if necessary, make a Nova Fleet and see it destroy anything in front of them. So far this is the campaign's biggest problem - damn AI making some fleets better than others.

@canned_f3tus It can be possible to hold 4-5 sectors efficiently. Holding more than that is hard and actually pointless, since by the time you have that many sectors you will have a lot of income anyway. After you have secured your 5 sectors of choice, I'd suggest to hold only planets that give you an interesting tech and then abbandon them as soon as you've researched that tech.

I finished, in 398 turns. I disabled the Urgency or Freak out meter, and also got rid of the stupid capture points battle mode. Without that meter filling up and pushing me into battle before i was ready, I was able to slowly conquer 4 entire systems, AND hold them for the most part.

This meant I had plenty of resources with which to max out all my fleets and then wreck the AI.

Also, NOVA SPAM FOR LIFE. Sniping Ork and Tyranid commander ships made my life a lot easier.

Another Strategy is to let the AI attack your little gun installations since they tend to make a beeline for them anyways. As soon as they use up their movement gauge...... Target something big and delete it with your NOVA's.

Once all Nova shots are depleted, move in with your Dominators and blast them apart at close range.

last edited by UltraScythe

Beat the IN campaign on hard. Holding the entire map. Not 1 sector under enemy control. With urgency meter on.

last edited by Neighbor Kid

@ultrascythe said in Hard Difficulty unplayable?:

I finished, in 398 turns. I disabled the Urgency or Freak out meter, and also got rid of the stupid capture points battle mode. Without that meter filling up and pushing me into battle before i was ready, I was able to slowly conquer 4 entire systems, AND hold them for the most part.

This meant I had plenty of resources with which to max out all my fleets and then wreck the AI.

Also, NOVA SPAM FOR LIFE. Sniping Ork and Tyranid commander ships made my life a lot easier.

Another Strategy is to let the AI attack your little gun installations since they tend to make a beeline for them anyways. As soon as they use up their movement gauge...... Target something big and delete it with your NOVA's.

Once all Nova shots are depleted, move in with your Dominators and blast them apart at close range.

I noticed that nids target priority is shit. They will chase frigs aroumd and distrgard all your other ships lol. Easy to abuse

Ok. What space matine ships do you spam. I foumd torp fleets are the way to go on SM to counter nids and necrons

Question for the folks who've gotten far enough in Imperium hard mode playthroughs: Is Macaggre's Honor more expensive point-wise in hard mode? Or was that a patch change? In my normal playthrough, it was around 600 points. I acquired it last night, post patch, & it was around 1100 points.

I beat it on hard in 112 turns, everything conquered, all quest done. As someone said, you need to be able to beat 2x your fleet power without loses. Its a grind tho.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.