Current camera: issues & possible solutions

@8up-local After playing with the off-centered camera for a day or so, I now see the limitation of it and that's one thing that bothered me originally, that you can't look up and down as much as with the centered cam. But I still prefer the non-centered. The issue with the centered cam is the lack of a forward/backward slide. And the issue with the non-centered cam is the limited up and down movement. If the devs provided a 3rd axis for just the forward/backward slide and didn't limit the up and down motion as much, that could be the best solution.

last edited by Unster

@sodoma said in Current camera: issues & possible solutions:

Any opinions, guys? 🙂

In the same way as in MR you can switch between front and trailer view, once in trailer view mode, perhaps using an other control would allow you to select a number of camera positions around the vehicle, say at 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees, looking back at the vehicle.

Alternatively, same way as you currently have 'quick winch' and 'menu based winch', you could have same option for camera modes, a relatively easy 'switch camera position' through controller buttons and a menu based 'select camera position' which allows you a much more complete control of say distance from vehicle and direction of camera. ( I envisage a circle rendered around the vehicle that could be raised or lowered (z axis) around the vehicle centre, expanded or shrunk with the camera rotated around this circle. The camera view would be represented by a line or cone and could then still be rotated 360 across all planes. The centre of the circle could also be moved if necessary. Once locked in and 'OK'd' that camera view would be presented, with ability to still rotate around the defined 'circle'. What would also be nice if say one or two user defined positions could be saved and added to the 'quick camera' selection. Based on your engine, I imagine that once the camera position and direction is defined, saving and recalling this is pretty much zero effort.

The only additional point I would make is that I have found on occasion that I am hung up on a tree or stump that is made invisible (transparent) because of it's location and render distance from the camera so it takes ages to figure out whats gone wrong. It would be useful if this was considered or at least indicated so that you knew what the problem was.

last edited by zoglet