Question about the tint tool and the effect it has. (SOLVED)

I'm trying to use the tint option as a simple way to make dirty snow. The issue is, it turns my snow green. 🤢

So, my question is, is there a way around this? I'm not sure if it's an issue with my snow texture or the way in which the tint option works. I've also noticed it tints other textures a slight green as well so it could just be how the tint option works. Would be great though if I could get it to only darken textures and not also color them.

Thanks for any input! ☺

last edited by RiskyWisky

@picsoul said in Question about the tint tool and the effect it has.:

I'm trying to use the tint option as a simple way to make dirty snow. The issue is, it turns my snow green. 🤢

Yep, that's what it does.

I assume that your snow is a custom terrain material. You could make a variation on the material with a different texture that you darken yourself, then switch between the materials instead of using the tint tool.

last edited by Chris Nelson

That wouldn't be a bad idea except for the fact that trying to blend textures together is already difficult enough. Using the tint option would be much easier. Thanks for the input though and I may have to resort to that. 🙂

If you have paint.net or gimp (both photo editing programs on the pc) then you could change the texture of the snow easily. If you want, you could DM me the texture and i could edit it for you.

Thanks for the offer but I can edit it. 😀

P.S. When did you become a mod? Have I been away that long? Congrats man!

@picsoul I just became a mod the other day.

@PicSoul
Each tile has two materials, "grass" (value 0) and "dirt" (value 1). I'm embarrassed that it took me this long to realize, but the tint color for "grass" is always brown, and the tint color for "dirt" is always olive green.

If the brown color looks OK for your snow, you just need to swap the "grass" and "dirt" materials. (An external editor like Gimp can invert just the green channel of the .tga file so that you don't have to redraw everything.)

@chris-nelson

Sorry, I'm not following you here.

I understand that the grass tint is brown and dirt is green but you lost me with "(value 0)" and "(value 1)".

I do understand RGB channels though, so there's that. :face_with_stuck-out_tongue_winking_eye:

@picsoul said in Question about the tint tool and the effect it has.:

I understand that the grass tint is brown and dirt is green but you lost me with "(value 0)" and "(value 1)".

The items under the Materials list are things like "rough_to_moss(mtrl_moss_rough.tga)". And so the properties are:

• Grass: rough
  • Dirt: moss
  • Map: mtrl_moss_rough.tga

So the "grass" property isn't really grass; it's whatever material you choose (e.g. rough), and the same for the "dirt" property.

I often call them value 0 and 1 because you draw the "grass" by setting the brush value to "0.0" and you draw "dirt" with brush value "1.0". And "0" and "1" make a lot more sense to me than "grass" which isn't grass and "dirt" which isn't dirt.

@chris-nelson

I understand now, thank you for the explanation.

Since the topic is solved, it is now locked.

Have a nice day.

• Added To the Guide 23/03/2019! Thanks @Chris-Nelson edit by Forces
last edited by Forces