xb1x touchback rules

https://xboxclips.com/Destraag/c15c9add-2b3a-4dda-9887-d83ff150d64f

the opposing team fails a catch causing the ball to go out of bounds. I'm not a bb rule expert but this doesn't seem like a touchback rather should be subject to a normal toss in. I've seen the same happen when a player fails the catch and the ball goes into the kicking teams side of the pitch.

Any kickoff which does not end up in the receiving team's half is a touchback. Rulebook, page 6:

If the ball scatters or
bounces off the pitch or into the kicking team’s half, the receiving
coach is awarded a ‘touchback’ and must give the ball to any
player in his team.

@dode74 said in xb1x touchback rules:

Rulebook, page 6:

Thanks for that but the ball landed on a player and is not doing any of the things in your excerpt but rather then becomes subject to catch rules. here is from the living rule book... http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/LivingRulebook5.pdf

"A kick-off must land in the opponent's half of the pitch. Assuming the ball lands in the receiving team’s half of the pitch, then it will either land in an empty square or a square occupied by a player. If the ball lands in an empty square it will bounce one more square (see Bouncing Balls on page 13). If the ball lands on a square occupied by a player, the player must try to catch the ball (see Catching the Ball on page 13). If the ball scatters or bounces off the pitch or into the kicking team’s half, the receiving coach is awarded a ‘touchback’ and must give the ball to any player in his team."

Once the ball lands on a player you go to catching the ball rules on page 13... no longer a kickoff ... and if it then goes out of bounds it is subject to the normal "throw-ins" rule.

@destraag said in xb1x touchback rules:

@dode74

this is the same in LR - 6 which I found you (@dode74) linked in another post.

Once the ball lands on a player you go to catching the ball rules on page 13... no longer a kickoff ... and if it then goes out of bounds it is subject to the normal "throw-ins" rule.

Read the whole excerpt you posted. It ends with "if the ball scatters or bounces off the pitch or into the kicking team’s half, the receiving coach is awarded a ‘touchback’ and must give the ball to any player in his team." So if at the end of the kickoff the ball is off the pitch for any reason then it is a touchback. You only go to catching the ball for the purposes of trying to catch.

For confirmation of that see the FAQ at the back of LRB6:

Q: If a player from your team fails to catch a ball from a kick-off, and the
ball bounces over the line of scrimmage is it a touchback?
A: Yes, any event that causes the ball to go out of bounds or over the line
of scrimmage during a kick-off results in a touchback

last edited by dode74

I disagree with that interpretation of the rules as currently written. However, if that FAQ is binding (which I will assume it is) it is very clear.

I would also say very clearly wrong. It is not logical that the coach of a team that fails an action, in this case catch, should then be rewarded with a touchback. It's all random so not a huge issue but still...

This would now be more a dispute over what the rules should be and probably does not belong in this section of the forum...

Thanks!

You're welcome to disagree with the rules as clearly written and as further clarified as intended all you like.

@dode74 said in xb1x touchback rules:

You're welcome to disagree with the rules as clearly written and as further clarified as intended all you like.

I will until I find a reason to agree with those rules, yes. I would welcome you to do the same. However, the rules are not clearly written. As I acknowledged before the FAQ answer is very clear. The fact that this question lands in a frequently asked list acknowledges the rules are not clear on the topic and further clarification is warranted.

Dode is 100% correct. This has been how the rules have worked since Blood Bowl 3rd edition was released in 1994.

At no point does it say "the Kick-off ends with a catch attempt", it just clarifies where the catch rules are.

last edited by Darkson