Mud Runner Mod Making 101 (Useful Links and Guides)

In case you have Question or want to learn how to mod this is the best page to find links to the guide youre looking
Thanks In advance To @Tattoo and Hein From Oovee.uk for making the list that still to this date works for mud runner

• If you have usefull info to add send me or one of the other moderators a pm.

• Before Editing Check the links and Try to follow the Setup of the Guide to edit the main post

Ye Old Classic Quick Moding Tutorial - By Stetson

• 3D softwares you need to start making mods

• 3ds Max - Recomended By the game developer

3dsmax student registration form wich lead to dowload and a valid license
3dsMax Student Version - Thanks To @Raphael and @Tattoo

Getting started in 3dsMax 20 Videos
Basic 3ds Max Functionality 7 Videos
UV Unwrapping in 3ds Max - 10 Videos
How to change System Units in 3ds Max - By @Tattoo
3dsMax How to Videos - Thanks to @Raphael

• Blender 2.76 to 2.78 (Recomended versions)
    recomended for low end pc's

Blender 2.76 32 bit
Blender 2.76 64bit
Blender 2.78 32 bit
Blender 2.78 64 bit

• Blender Exporters

Spintires DirectX exporter For blender - thanks to @Dzen
STX Exporter Dev Page - thanks to @Dzen
How to use the STX exporter - Thanks To @Dzen
Blender Video Tutorials - By @Forces

• Blender Mod making topics

Guides 1 -useful info and files Thanks To @DrGoNzO1489, GJU and @Dzen
Links for Starting a Mod
Guide 2 - Useful Info, files,Video Guides and advance animations
How to properly AO Bake in Blender - 13min
blender tutorial how to bake an ambient occlusion map - 6min
How to Start Modeling in Blender - 4 vids

• Tools

NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop - Lets you edit or create .dds textures
Proper Texture Extensions - By @Draconus
Rock Generators for Map Makers - By @Tattoo
Marijn & Tattoo Spring Weight Tool V2 – Spintires Modding Resource
How to install Marijn's Spring Weight Tool, version 2 - By @Tattoo
TheBlueprints.com - Blueprints page for model makers
Multiplayer SaveManager - By @Dvoryaninoff
How To Use Reshade With Mud Runner by Bizrebellion82
Reshade Web page
Number Paster For animation/rigging - By @Tattoo and MarijnS95
Truck Mod Example Files Explained - By @Forces

• Useful Links (more will be added by moderators)

Wheels With lettering - Thanks to Freeman
Antenna and O-rings animations - Thanks to @terminatorx58 and @Forces
Help With IK Bones For Dampers
Removing pieces of dirt from the wheels - By @Digital X and @SmarOneNine
"Simulation Quality [CPU]" setting - what does it do?
Winching Guide - By Austinwii
[How to] set up a tilting flatbed. - By Freeman
Tattoo - [REL] Map Objects - By @Tattoo
[HOW TO] Installing ReShade With SpintiresMod - By @MudHappy
Fan Spin Tutorial - by @Tattoo
How To animate the Steering Wheel - Thanks To @Spun
How To add the AmericanWild Driver as default - Thanks To @Malcolm_Tucker
How To add A Driver into a mod - Thanks to @Spun
How to Code and Add a trailer to a mod- Thanks to @Forces
How to add Logs To a trailer mod - thanks to @hydrowasul and @Forces
Tips And Tricks For Using 3rd Party Height Maps In The Editor - by @MudHappy
Mudrunner – Making and adding objects to your game. - by @Digital-X
Creating a Compound Spring/Shock - No Sound - By @Tattoo
Leaf Spring Weight Tutorial- By @Tattoo
How To Setup IK's For Springs, Shocks and Control Arms - By @Tattoo
CTD Based Suspension - by V12 , @Bregel , @Forces
Adding Models To Addons Via XML By LetsRock&Roll
Tutorial: Converting sounds from ETS/ATS. - By @Rock3t
Driveshaft positioning Quick Guide OLD codes - Thanks To PressureLine
Add Friction to Objects - Thanks To PressureLine
Honk Sound Code - Thanks To @Aureliovr
How to install Spintires mod - Thanks to @Tattoo
How To Setup IK's For Springs, Shocks and Control Arms - By @Tattoo
How to make Lights Point to the sides - thanks to @wrangmog
How to Animate a Winch By @Forces
How to Animate a Antenna By @Forces
Editor Error Discussion by @Blackwater
How to Use the ParentFile="" in classes XML - By @Forces
[How To] Make Custom Log Loads xml started by @beastmodeonsteam

• Map Making

@RiskyWisky Textual Guide
How to Use Materials in the editor - Thanks to @Kent_BoBo

Big Book of MudRunner Map Making - By @Chris-Nelson

Nix Map Tutorials
Complete video guide to creating custom Spintires: MudRunner Maps

Torridon88 map making Guides
Introduction to the editor List -6 videos
Let's Make A Mudrunner Reference - Forest T Junction - 6 Videos

ill be selecting more Links from the old page becasue not all of them Work or are easy to "translate" to the newer Mud runner Codes but if you want to take a look a them here is the older list Useful links for new users

• Misc
    The Water of MudRunner -By @Pavel
    The Mud of MudRunner -By @Pavel
    Small idea of how much "pc power" you need to play MudRunner
    Mud Runner PC Specs List (Player,Mod Maker,Map Maker)
    Making Custom Dynamic Models - Thanks to @Chris-Nelson @Tattoo
    Sound download List - Oovee.co.uk - (login may be required)

• Data

• Spintires Uses the metric system (Meters,Kg,Lts)

• Max Poly count Per Mesh 20k (wheels included)

• Max Polycount Record on a Mod 2.4M Poly (Splitted Meshes in groups of 20k)

• Max Polycount Recomended For Multiplayer is 1.4M Poly (Splitted Meshes in groups of 20k)

• Max amount of Steering Controlled Constraints 10

• Max amount of Torque on a Vehicle Engine 900K (it caps past that number)

• Max Recomended cdt poly count is under 2k at worst case scenario

• Cranes Rotate a max 270º both directions (left-right)

• Steeringwheel animations Bone Rotates on the Y axis and must be pointing at the to the inside of the Truck

• Mass="()" Values can have 4 Decimals (100.001)

• Pos="()" Values can have 6 decimals

• DiffuseMultiplier is (R;G;B;A) and it caps at 255 in all values 0 being black and 255 being white

• CDT over 2k poly will lag the game

• Editor max Heightmap size is 1024, you can use 4k res hightmaps but its prone to crash your editor,create geometry bugs and it will be downscaled to undet 1024 (1023)

• Wheels under a Mass value of 80 will glith,wiggle and wheels over 200 are more prone to go into objects

• The FuelsMass Code can be use to simulate the change of weight due to fuel consuption in Vehicles

• Most of the editor crashes are due to Bad codes in Custom objects (classes/meshes)

• Twosided="" meshes still have lighting issues due to the Normals Directions in the meshes so its better to have overlaping with normals looking in oposite directions meshes with no TwoSided="true" codes

• _cockpit and _winshield meshes must have the normals poiting to the inside of the mod to work and sould never be loaded in a material in the editor or they wont work all the time

• SuspensionMin="" values are negative while SuspensionMax="" values are positive and mixing them will make your game crash or make your mod to not load

• ImpactType="Foliage" disables colision damage but not the Suspension Damage (Collision="None" just disables the collision of your mod )

• Suspension damage happens when your suspension reaches the SuspensionMax Value really fast, to avoid it increase the max value or increase the SuspensionDamping="" values, decreasing it too much will make your car feel bouncy and making it too high will make it stiffer

• Use the Havok Debug tool to test your truck in the editor before loading it in the game

- F.A.Q

How to Load Logs
How to Unlock Garages

- MudRunner system requirements (minimum)

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent
RAM: 2 GB
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT or equivalent
FREE DISK SPACE: 1 GB

- MudRunner Recommended Requirements

CPU: Intel I3 2gen +/Intel I5 2gen +/Intel I7 2gen+ /AMD Ryzen
RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 or equivalent
FREE DISK SPACE: 1 GB

last edited by Forces

Reserved for Needed Info or Extra notes (in case i fill the first post )

last edited by Forces

@Forces
Thank you for the amount of information centralized in that thread.

3dsmax student registration form wich lead to dowload and a valid license
https://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max

As for the exporter:
http://www.cgdev.net/axe/download.php

Youtube learning channel for 3dsmax a good start to understand the interface and tools the most used:
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dsMaxHowTos
(i started with those video who provide some solid knowledge to build upon)

Edit By Forces
Added 19/Mar/2019 Thanks Man!

last edited by Raphael

@Forces i only just noticed there's comments below this.. cheers for using your time for to do this.. your seriously helping the community out heaps. cheers

hi forces, great post.. i must ask how did you acquire the knowledge for the whole MR modding, coding processes? do you have training in the workings of modeling/gaming? I try and try, and as an older (50) guy, with very little computer usage, i just can't get anything to progress past opening the program for editing or modification of models. after that a brick wall goes up. If i'm not mistaken you are a younger guy, is the knowledge of computer workings being included in the younger generation's education? these questions are for all of the great modders in our community. all in all i'm super impressed by your abilities, as well as the great work being put out by all the other modders..

@Forces
I think I just figured out why I had such a hard time understanding V12's CDT-based suspension works; the cdt names used in the XML code do not correspond with the names shown in the diagrams!
Ex: solid axle diagram shows "WHUB1_CDT" and "WHUB2_CDT" but in the XML they're named "h1_cdt" and "h2_cdt" respectively. Super confusing unless you've already got a good idea what you're looking at... 😑

@Mexican_420 yeah at the end he used a diferent xml compared to his test vehicle, dont worry about the hubs tho, those can be made with bones now

last edited by Forces

@Forces said in Mud Runner Mod Making 101 (Useful Links and Guides):

@Mexican_420 yeah at the end he used a diferent xml compared to his test vehicle, dont worry about the hubs tho, those can be made with bones now

For Mudrunner, yes... OG Spintires, not so much. lol
I've put a bug in LocalHost's ear about implementing the same steering animation system that Mudrunner uses, but I don't know whether they're allowed to use that code or not... I ended up making my hub/brakes transparent on the Jeep (they were clipping through the wheels when turning) until I get around to setting up the cdt-based arrangement.

i hope they add it, so far im more into mudrunner than spintires right now, i've edited some stuff from Spintires assets and improved allot of things, still can get better imo

I saw that you used some of my info for the wheel lettering tutorial, i found out that in mudrunner the export from blender is done in a different way,

you need a model for the right and left side wheels

for the left-side wheels:
make the model in blender,
(the textures should be ok in blender)
then rotate the wheel in order that the exterior side of the wheel is facing up,
mirror the model in X axis
apply all transforms
(the letters should be mirrored in blender by now)
and export using the original exporter, all definitions are default except the up axis is the Z.

for the right-side wheels:
you need to insert an extra step before exporting:
mirror the UV Mapping in the X axis
(it makes the letters ok again in blender)

this way the wheels work, at least in my mods they work.

then on the xml file you use the right and left version of the wheels

if some one need i can put some screenshots.

@Forces hey mate im brand new here so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask but i tried to follow these links the other day and oovee seemed to be down, i come back today to find that thats still the case so i have a couple questions 1. will the oovee website be back up or is this a permanent thing now that they have nothing to do with the franchise? 2. if it is permanent, where can i find the rest of the needed information to begin modding? cheers in advance guys, any small ammount of help is greatly appreciated when diving into this rabbbit hole as a complete noob 🙂

@liltoss said in Mud Runner Mod Making 101 (Useful Links and Guides):

@Forces hey mate im brand new here so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask but i tried to follow these links the other day and oovee seemed to be down, i come back today to find that thats still the case so i have a couple questions 1. will the oovee website be back up or is this a permanent thing now that they have nothing to do with the franchise? 2. if it is permanent, where can i find the rest of the needed information to begin modding? cheers in advance guys, any small ammount of help is greatly appreciated when diving into this rabbbit hole as a complete noob 🙂

The Oovee website loads for me but the links in this thread's original post are obviously outdated. The pages they lead to either don't exist anymore, don't have any content, or if they have content the information on them is not accurate. I too have been struggling to make maps and mods for MudRunner recently. I'm not at all new to making content for games; the lack of up-to-date documentation on how to for this game is beyond frustrating.

@Forces I wanted to know how I put non-game models on my map, especially the constructable bridge

@BlueSnake theres no good way to make them, every map model needs to be low poly on the cdts and under 60k on the body meshes to avoid game engine errors

the best way is to create the bases of the bridge and use logs or square dinamyc models to fill the holes