[Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]

@marksmanmax Lmao have you not realized yet I dunno how the fuck this forums shit really works. 😂

@marksmanmax Ffs I went back to the original post which was by you? Which makes you OP and then remembered I was the first person to like your post. Lol 🤦♂

@planetcanada
You are absolutely right !
Never said that the playerbase of Sandstorm is huge or something.
Just saying that we are just a tiny group of enthusiasts who want to to bring this game to a better level.
I don´t know if NWI will listen to just a smal group of people here in this forum.
I have the impression that the Steam Forum has a bigger amount of active Sandstorm players who are not present here.
That´s also the reason why NWI mainly publishes news in that Forum and not here.

Personally im a fan of the straight up 3TK kick without a timer like the old INS and DOI. It forces players to mind their muzzle after knowing that they will be kicked for accidental or purposeful kills and encourages more communication for fire support and corrects/ forces commanders to learn where NOT to call artillery in like on an objectives where everyone is moving towards or already on it. Not sure why they had to mess around with these new systems when the old ones worked perfectly fine.

The damage reflection is a terrible mechanic, someone on my team one taps me in the head and is not punished, yet when i accidentally shoot someone in the head I'm instantly slain by the mechanic. It is not the answer to stopping teamkillers.

Just remove it, it's frustrating at best as it's poorly implemented, what's that you just used a molly on a cache and 3 teammates decide to immolate themselves? Oh you get killed by the mechanic and or kicked from the server.
Whats that you called in a CAS mortar strike and silly teammates don't listen to the solid advice of staying away from windows and doors and players get hit? You die and or get kicked.

last edited by Depleted

@depleted said in [Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]:

Just remove it, it's frustrating at best as it's poorly implemented, what's that you just used a molly on a cache and 3 teammates decide to immolate themselves? Oh you get killed by the mechanic and or kicked from the server.
Whats that you called in a CAS mortar strike and silly teammates don't listen to the solid advice of staying away from windows and doors and players get hit? You die and or get kicked.

With the addition of damage reflection, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get kicked for teamkilling as you can't teamkill more than once without dying by "assisted suicide".

@depleted said in [Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]:

...someone on my team one taps me in the head and is not punished, yet when i accidentally shoot someone in the head I'm instantly slain by the mechanic. It is not the answer to stopping teamkillers.

To explain what currently happens:

-> Everyone can teamkill once. That being said, you should still aim for the head as damage reflection seems to kick in with enough bodyshots, even if your teammate has not been killed (so occasionally you can't even TK at all).

-> This makes pissing off someone in a party a terrible idea, as you can only TK one guy in their party one time while the party members can trade off and each kill you one time (assuming they haven't shot other teammates), which will most likely prevent you from playing the rest of that entire round.

@imacookie said in [Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]:

Personally im a fan of the straight up 3TK kick without a timer like the old INS and DOI.

Well, teamkills were forgiven over time. In fact, Sandstorm TK's are actually forgiven quite fast. Seems like you're forgiven for a teamkill every two minutes or so.

@imacookie said in [Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]:

Not sure why they had to mess around with these new systems when the old ones worked perfectly fine.

My point exactly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sandstorm's violated this rule completely.

Don't overhaul game mechanics if the mechanics in the previous game were fine. Just add them in as the default and make some tweaks from there.

+1 to remove it, and please, add a kick/ban player system.

@alea kick sure ....ban? no....admins in community servers already have this.

Welp, guess I have to bump this thread yet again because this shitty mechanic is still in the fucking game. At least votekick is a thing now.

Sometimes this game makes my eyes rain 😭

@planetcanada said in [Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]:

Sometimes this game makes my eyes rain 😭

Legit, somehow, in a game yesterday, a teammate shot another teammate in the head (intentionally; he manned a Dshk and didn't call it; his loss lmao) on Hardcore Checkpoint. He did succeed in killing the teammate, but damage reflection kicked in and proceeded to kill him as well.

What kind of dumbass mechanic is that?

Capture.PNG

CAN WE GET 20 LIKES ON THIS POST BOYS

Seriously lmao, maybe more upvotes will help NWI decide to remove this garbage mechanic.

Yes get rid of this shite mechanism ASAP.

Now we have kick voting (in CTE at least), there's no need for it.

@Congas I'm guessing votekick was added so we can at least remove the trolls that abuse damage reflection.

That being said, it would make more sense to remove a broken mechanic than to add in another mechanic to solve the issues caused by the broken mechanic.

EDIT: Aso, thanks for the 20th upvote lmao

last edited by MarksmanMax

Mikee actually talked about a possible change to damage reflection on the Steam Forums:

1. We feel it is important to keep Friendly Fire consistent across all our game modes, but can consider adjusting the threshhold for team damage reflection (especially considering we now have vote kicking)

Hopefully, this means that it'll take more damage/TKs to trigger it, or better yet, will be removed from the game entirely. My hopes aren't too high, though.

last edited by MarksmanMax

Welp, time to bump this post again, as the new 1.13 update did nothing about this mechanic.

Yes, the magical damage reflection is ridiculous. Three team kills should be an auto kick instead.

they can just use the system siege uses. if you tk one person, they can vote if they want reverse friendly fire on. should just be a vote system that pops up if the guy that got tk wants to call a vote to activate reverse friendly fire