Using Unreal 4 v.4.20.3, and 4.21.1, building map meshes in 3ds max, dimesnions are needed

Hello, INS community and NWI Team.

I have been a mapper for a number of games starting with Rainbow Six 2, RvS, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and Unreal has been great. As Unreal 4 has a scaling function with unit changing, i am wondering what world scale i would use in 3ds max to achieve the best results, so modifying the scale would not be necessary after the fact.

I am sure there are mappers with either ports or custom meshes ready to build some great maps for INS, and i am happy to be getting prepared for building maps for Insurgency.

I know the team is very busy tidying up the issues so i hope that a community moderator could pop in and sort this out, as it provides a great deal of help for the longevity of the game in a very little amount of time. TY and GG's.

Our hopes are in the hands of talented modders like you @Reason3D !
This game really needs new maps and mods to keep the game interesting.
May the day will come in close future when NWI finally releases the SDK and software integration of custom maps.

Give the man some answers!

Hey @Reason3D,

This actually looks amazing. We'll share more details in the future when the modding and custom maps supports are live!

Don't forget the programming interface for the AI. Then we have a chance to get rid of these... junk bots.

Hey guys and @Reason3D ,

So I'm back to give you some news about the map dimension. We currently don't know when exactly the mod support will go live, but here's some information if you want to build a custom map.

All Sandstorm level design dimensions are in centimeters. The player height is the most important one, which is 180cm. The modular assets we use are based on a 400cm footprint as a basis, which is 4 by 4 meters and 40 cm thickness.

0_1554391160799_map.jpg

We use the following dimensions for vaulting, cover, crouching and jumping:

Crouch cover: 100cm
Standing full cover: 200cm
Max jump height: 80cm
Crouch jump height: 100cm
Max Vaulting: 135cm

0_1554391178964_map2.jpg

Level size varies a lot, but to provide a bit of guidance for size, Farmhouse is approximately 500 meters by 333 meters excluding backdrop. We want to reveal more dimensions closer to the release of our mapping tools, but hopefully this will give a bit of a headstart for everyone that’s interested in creating levels for Sandstorm.

last edited by chaton

@chaton said in Using Unreal 4 v.4.20.3, and 4.21.1, building map meshes in 3ds max, dimesnions are needed:

Are you serious ? These values are too high for jumping.
Did you ever see a soldier with 30 kg weapons and equipment jump so high ?

Comon NWI ... does this really have to be like in arcade shooters ?

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

@chaton said in Using Unreal 4 v.4.20.3, and 4.21.1, building map meshes in 3ds max, dimesnions are needed:

Hey guys and @Reason3D ,

So I'm back to give you some news about the map dimension. We currently don't know when exactly the mod support will go live, but here's some information if you want to build a custom map.

All Sandstorm level design dimensions are in centimeters. The player height is the most important one, which is 180cm. The modular assets we use are based on a 400cm footprint as a basis, which is 4 by 4 meters and 40 cm thickness.

0_1554391160799_map.jpg

We use the following dimensions for vaulting, cover, crouching and jumping:

Crouch cover: 100cm
Standing full cover: 200cm
Max Vaulting: 135cm

0_1554391178964_map2.jpg

Level size varies a lot, but to provide a bit of guidance for size, Farmhouse is approximately 500 meters by 333 meters excluding backdrop. We want to reveal more dimensions closer to the release of our mapping tools, but hopefully this will give a bit of a headstart for everyone that’s interested in creating levels for Sandstorm.

This information is invaluable, Thank you for taking time to retrieve it 🙂

cm is what i am currently working with, however i was still using a PlayerHeight of 192cm, and a wall thickness depth of 16cm.

the additional navigation dimensions image is perfect, thanks again!

@gsg_9_lightning said in Using Unreal 4 v.4.20.3, and 4.21.1, building map meshes in 3ds max, dimesnions are needed:

Are you serious ? These values are too high for jumping.
Did you ever see a soldier with 30 kg weapons and equipment jump so high ?

Are they? They don't seem very ridiculous to me, except for the crouch-jump which negates needing to vault in most cases.

@MarksmanMax

So you tell me that it is a realistic thing to jump 80 cm high when you carry a bag with 30 kg cement in your hands OR on your back in a bagpack ?
Make a video of that and publish this to us please !
I would love to see that crashlanding ! 🤣

Just for comparison :
The height of the 100 meter hurdles in the internatioanl athletics sprint sport is officially 106,68 cm (42 inch) and on 400 meter distance the height is 91,44 cm (36 inch) for male.
These guys are just wearing super lightweight sports outfit ( shirt / shorts / shoes ) and they are doing hard training for that sport with a special technique to jump as fast/effective as possible over the hurdles.

Now imagine a soldier in a regular army or militia do the same with an extra weight of 30 kg running towards a wall which is 80 cm high and trying to jump over it.
Yes, this is ridiculous !

And forget about the crouch jump ( 100 cm height)
This is super ridiculous !

A dive jump over such a wall is the only thing you can do with such an extra weight which will result in a landing on your belly or doing a role forward ( only possible if if you don´t wear a backpack )

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

LOL...Shuuuush GSG9, you're going to get the dimensions changed in medius res, and cause me to have to modify a highly complex 3d model and all other assets 😃

last edited by Reason3D

@helsing1789 said in Using Unreal 4 v.4.20.3, and 4.21.1, building map meshes in 3ds max, dimesnions are needed:

Don't forget the programming interface for the AI. Then we have a chance to get rid of these... junk bots.

UI Programming is generally done in Unreal Engine 4 Editor (if BluePrints were used)... But if Coded, to NWI: releasing source for Bot nav, awareness state, etc, would be awesome 😉

Damn i can't wait to see some amazing maps and 'enhanced' bots from the community

@bandungpojok said in Using Unreal 4 v.4.20.3, and 4.21.1, building map meshes in 3ds max, dimesnions are needed:

Damn i can't wait to see some amazing maps and 'enhanced' bots from the community

Mod-Tools and Editor was in latest 'Announcement'!... shouldn't be long 😉

last edited by Reason3D