I feel like I have a pretty poor understanding of crit mechanics in this game, so if anyone can explain more about them I'd appreciate it.
Here are the things I'm pretty certain of:
-Shields must be down for crits to occur. (unless the weapon ignores shields)
-The crit chances of many weapons can be increased by Lock On (or the faction equivalent) and these crit chances appear to update accurately in the tooltips of the associated weapons.
-All systems require two crits to permanently disable.
-Losing crew causes automatic crits at each step down.
But... I see crits having other effects too, or at least I think I do based on the text popping up in game.
Sometimes crits appear to be killing crew, sometimes they appear to be doing seemingly random bonus damage (maybe a percentage of damage dealt?), and maybe they can even start fires or destroy turrets?
So what I'd like to know is:
- What are all of the possible results on the crit table and what are the chances of each?
- How much does selecting a subsystem on an enemy ship modify my chances to crit that selected system?
- If applicable, what are the ranges of the results on the crit table? (example: When crit damage occurs, it is between 15% and 30% of damage dealt)
- If applicable, when crits deal additional damage does that damage ignore armor, or is it also subject to armor damage reductions?
- Is it possible for crits to occur for any reason other than a weapon's crit chance proccing? I've heard people suggest that specific damage thresholds cause automatic crits, but I don't know if this is true. The tooltip on the Ancient One for the Tyranids suggests that fires are automatically caused at specific damage thresholds (but I wouldn't consider these crits).
I'll go ahead and @Charles on this one, since he seemed extremely knowledgeable and helpful the last time a thread asking advanced mechanics questions was asked.