Vehicle Presentation - Introducing The GMC DW950

@zamal Haven't had the time to play it yet. Once I get home I'll try it out. Although I'm happy about it, I'm not a huge fan of 50's trucks. I'm more of a 70's 80's guy. My mods folder is flooded with 70's Ford and Chevy pickup trucks. I'm actually exited for the fact I have a new american map to play around XD

I just played Rocky Hills and all my worries about the DW950 had been put to rest. This thing can go pretty damn well offroad, it's certainly closer to the C-256 then the likes of the Bison. The DW950 for a 2WD is amazing. I'm very happy they decided to give this thing some decent traction and not make it crap.

@zamal said in Vehicle Presentation - Introducing The GMC DW950:

@deathcoreboy1 ohhh XDDDD okay then i hate that too i though u meant this

alt text

i prefer thsi one over that one

alt text

The first one is inspired by RL, on siberian roads (off) such trailers with container are used often.
Second pic is a common semitrailer for long haulage (with goods, not "garage parts")

last edited by Stazco

@deathcoreboy1 said in Vehicle Presentation - Introducing The GMC DW950:

@zamal said in Vehicle Presentation - Introducing The GMC DW950:

@deathcoreboy1 i prefer mudrunner cargo garage trailer over spintires white garage trailer

Really? its a train wagon! And, on top of it, it has train wheels!

Its not train wagon. Its a moveable house, used widely by loggers and by others.
As for wheels - now 100% if such wagons are equipped with normal wheels, in ussr there were such simple wheels, i believe used for its cheapness. Maybe it was also more offroad (thickness), but i doubt...

And i see the reasons to use it in mr: you start the Garage in huge abandoned building, and who said it must have heating and living quarters for staff?? No-one!)
So you need such house on wheels! In my playthroughs i keep additional such wagon near each working garage.
(And its heated by...simple wood stove))

last edited by Stazco

@justinlynch3 said in Vehicle Presentation - Introducing The GMC DW950:

I just played Rocky Hills and all my worries about the DW950 had been put to rest. This thing can go pretty damn well offroad, it's certainly closer to the C-256 then the likes of the Bison. The DW950 for a 2WD is amazing. I'm very happy they decided to give this thing some decent traction and not make it crap.

I'm pretty sure that's a placibo effect on your part. The Bison and GMC feel the same to me. More importantly, they have exactly the same mass and wheels. The GMC just has slightly less torque. Maybe that's what gave you the impression that it's less slippery, especially if you're using a controller button as your throttle.

What baffles me is that clearly this GMC is a clone of the Bison, yet it has proper front suspension while the Bison is still missing its suspension, even though we pointed it out as a bug numerous times. @Jellyfoosh any comment on this? Also the Western Star is still missing its front drive shafts.

@Unster said in Vehicle Presentation - Introducing The GMC DW950:

@justinlynch3 said in Vehicle Presentation - Introducing The GMC DW950:

I'm pretty sure that's a placibo effect on your part. The Bison and GMC feel the same to me. More importantly, they have exactly the same mass and wheels. The GMC just has slightly less torque. Maybe that's what gave you the impression that it's less slippery, especially if you're using a controller button as your throttle.

What baffles me is that clearly this GMC is a clone of the Bison, yet it has proper front suspension while the Bison is still missing its suspension, even though we pointed it out as a bug numerous times. @Jellyfoosh any comment on this? Also the Western Star is still missing its front drive shafts.

Nah the GMC is def better, I'm thinking that the manual on/off diff=lock that the GMC DW950 has gives a lot more of a traction bonus then the full-time diff-lock that the Chevy Bison has. I've already been in plenty of area's with the GMC where the Chevy if put in the same spot would of 100% gotten stuck.

The GMC still can't match the 256, but in terms of the base game (I'm a PS4 player), I'd say the GMC is the second best non-AWD big-rig as it stands.

It's not a placibo effect. I play online a lot, as such the Bison is the default truck you get when you join a American Wilds map. Even feathering the throttle the Bison always gets stuck on the dirt trail in Grizzly Creek leading to the log station, needing a winch. When fully loaded it might make it out on it's own with the extra weight, but empty going in it always gets stuck.

But you know what doesn't get stuck, the GMC.

@justinlynch3 I wonder if the console version is different. I can only speak for the PC version. I even looked at their specs. They're identical when it comes to weight and tires.

@justinlynch3 I wonder if the console version is different. I can only speak for the PC version. I even looked at their specs. They're identical when it comes to weight and tires.

Like I said I think it's the manual on/off diff-lock. to me it seems like vehicles with the manual option gets a greater traction bonus then vehicles that has diff-lock set to "ALWAYS"

I just did a video, gave both trucks the same setup (long log trailer) and I took the Bison down the trail first. So the Bison was running on a completely fresh trail, and sure enough in the usual spot it got stuck and needed a winch. Then I took the DW950 down the same (which the Bison now had tore up) and even ran though the same tracks. And while for a moment it looked like the 950 might of gotten stuck in the Bison's hole, with just a little tire wiggling it crawled itself free and ultimately a winch wasn't even needed.

So if both trucks are the same, then it must be the drive train making the difference right.

It seems like to me with that has the diffs on ALWAYS, you need to keep a certain degree of throttle if you want to send power to both rear axles, go to light on the gas and only 1 axle (the rear) will spin the wheels. Meanwhile with manual diff both the rear and center axles are locked full time.

I'd have to do more comparisons to be certain, but to me this is what it looks like. I remember using Low-1 on the Bison before and only the wheels on the very back axle would turn, part of the reason I don't like Low 1. Now and then I'll try Low-2 with the AW trucks, but I never use Low-1 as it doesn't power both rear axles. That's why most of the time yo just see me in Low-3 trying to feather the throttle to my ideal liking.

Anyway take a look. When the Bison gets stuck on a fresh trail, but the 950 makes it even when driving through the Bison's tracks. The 950 must have something the Bison don't have.

Youtube Video

@justinlynch3 I would say they behave identically. I'm pretty sure if you spent more time with the Bison trying to go up that slope before giving up and using the winch it would have made it too. Also, there's always going to be some variation in the truck's position on the road. You'll never drive exactly the same path twice with the same mud and potentially other obstacles. Whether diff lock is selected or always on should make absolutely no difference.

@justinlynch3 I would say they behave identically. I'm pretty sure if you spent more time with the Bison trying to go up that slope before giving up and using the winch it would have made it too. Also, there's always going to be some variation in the truck's position on the road. You'll never drive exactly the same path twice with the same mud and potentially other obstacles. Whether diff lock is selected or always on should make absolutely no difference.

Your talking like this is the first time I've gotten the Bison stuck there, which it isn't. Like I said I've been on this map a lot, have used the Bison a lot, and have yet to successfully self power it out of that hole, or would you call it a dip?

Still while logically one would think there would be no difference between manual diff or ALWAYS diff, I wonder if there is? Because to me it feels like all manual diff vehicles in this game preform better then the ALWAYS diff vehicles.

Oh did they make any adjustments to the gearing ratio in Rocky Hills?

You remember I said I don't like Low-1 because it only turns the wheels on the rear axle but doesn't power the center axle? Well I just tried the Bison again and Low-1 powers the center axle now.

That's awesome, That might make Low-1 a lot more useful now that both rear axles turn the wheels.

@justinlynch3 I don't know, I never use low-1. I have pedals & wheel, so I always use full gears and adjust throttle with my foot.