Good or Bad - The move away from generic to now licensed vehicles?

I've been curious, it looks like from American Wilds (AW) and onward that Focus/Sabre are going to be licensing all their vehicles. Do you think this is a good or bad move?

On one hand I see it good from a marketing standpoint. You can tout the game as having actual real life brands like Ford, Caterpillar, and Western Star. But is this good for the player?

Prior to AW the dev's could put any vehicle they wanted into the game, and as many as they wanted. Give them a generic number instead of a name, and make some slight tweaks to like grills to avoid copyright, and you could put anything into the game.

Now though, the dev's are going to be limited by licensing agreement's. So you know, we can ask for Mack or Dodge all we want, but without a legal license the dev's (and as a result us) are flat out of luck. Meanwhile before the dev's could of made a copycat vehicle, make it 98% accurate with some tweaks here or there, give it a generic class-number and we could of had anything in the game.

So what's your guys opinion on them moving away from generic vehicles in favor of licensed vehicles. Is this going to be a good or bad move?

Personally I think mixing licensed and unlicensed vehicles in MR/AW is worse than all licensed or all unlicensed, it really breake the immersion for me.

I honestly don't know what most players think about this. I would think that most people would want licensed vehicles in their simulator, but pre-AW Mudrunner and BeamNG were both doing fine without them.

Personally I would prefer unlicensed vehicles. It would allow for more variety (Most of my comments on this forum seem to be asking for American and European vehicles that they don't have a license for...) and be at less costs and restraints (paying for licensing, manufacturers making sure the model of their vehicles is up to their standards, etc...).

I preffer licensed vehicles because I like true to life trucks down to the tiniest details. Now, if you think about it, original Spintires used unlicensed vehicles and it does not have that many anyway so...

last edited by deathcoreboy1

@deathcoreboy1
But just because a vehicle was licensed to put in a game doesn't mean it will be accurately recreated. That's not what licensing is about. Licensing is about being able to use the name and logo of said vehicle company, and at most making sure it doesn't look or perform ridiculously.

My personal opinion is that licensed vehicles are fine, but may not be worth the cost. I just as well enjoy unlicensed vehicles that resemble the real thing, or a mixture of real things + whatever inspiration.

@unster Well, one thing I cannot stand is mods that are exagerated or just made up things. When I download a mod, I first go online and do a bit of a research of what truck or car I'm downloading and see if the mod resemble its real life couterpart. If it's, lets say, a modified pickup truck, I try to find out if said truck is modified this way IRL.

That's just the way I am.

I used to play in bands and my bandmates allways had me preparing the covers for them because I sat down and stripped the song appart until I recreated it exactly the same.

@deathcoreboy1 Are you primarily concerned with visual accuracy or performance accuracy? I like my vehicles to be realistic, especially when it comes to performance and I make changes to both mods and sometimes even to the official vehicles when they're way out of spec. The D-538 and F-150 pickup are good examples. The F-150 has almost as much torque as the D-538 which is insane. So I nerfed the pickup and buffed the tractor in my game to make them more reasonable.

The torque is in some game units so you can't just take real-life specs and plug them in, but the torque and other parameters can be adjusted to maintain adequate realism.

last edited by Unster

@unster Both, but since MudRunner is mostly wrong on specs accuracy, I don't mind too much about it and focus on visuals. I find that traction and grip on mudrunner are waaay wrong. The wheels spin too easy on the road and on mud also. Besides, the steering slips a bit before it actually gets grip and turn (somewhat understeers) even at low speed. So I stopped caring too much abt performace accuracy.

@deathcoreboy1 I still care more about performance and less about visual accuracy. I can see why you want licensed content then, nothing wrong with that. Just costs money for the devs/publisher.

Yes the traction could use improvements, but it's not so far off that I don't even want to play the game. It's adequate. But I feel ST is now more accurate than MR when it comes to traction, which makes me start to like it more. You can actually get stuck in deep mud, while pavement isn't so slippery.

If Focus could get licenses for all the vehicles, yes, but if it only works with some companies, we'd for example never get a Russia DLC with MAZs, KraZs and Kirovets, if these companies don't want licensing. Maybe if they would do it like the original Spintires, that all trucks look 100% accurate, some are licensed, and the others just lack branding. Opinions?

Well if im not wrong, we had 9 licensed vehicles and 2 unlicensed truck like skidder and forwarder with AW expansion

I dont see how licensing western star would prevent devs from adding oshkosh with different name and grill in mr2

@ManfredE3 i would agree with u, i liked original MR way of doing trucks and classifying them with

A - scouts
B - less capable trucks
C - ur basic 6x6 haulers
D - slightly more powerful than 6x6 trucks (8x8)
E - giant monsters
K - tractors/heavy duty vehicles

last edited by zamal

@zamal said in Good or Bad - The move away from generic to now licensed vehicles?:

Well if im not wrong, we had 9 licensed vehicles and 2 unlicensed truck like skidder and forwarder with AW expansion

I dont see how licensing western star would prevent devs from adding oshkosh with different name and grill in mr2

@ManfredE3 i would agree with u, i liked original MR way of doing trucks and classifying them with

A - scouts
B - less capable trucks
C - ur basic 6x6 haulers
D - slightly more powerful than 6x6 trucks (8x8)
E - giant monsters
K - tractors/heavy duty vehicles

Hehe, I like how for E trucks, you just say: "giant monsters"

I've thoroughly enjoyed MR base game and the free DLCs... everything made a bunch of sense, and could be compared across the board. AW on the other hand was a bit of a departure. I don't want more content comparable to AW, I want more base game, so that's more unliscenced russian beasts, and more offroad maps. I did enjoy AW, but I don't like to compare it to the base game. There's a bunch of stuff I'd love to change about AW, so I'd rather not have another release that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

@zamal Except for those front grills that look awfull to me. Dunno, I still prefer lisenced vehicles or at leas meke them like ST which were more accurrate to their RL counterparts.

@unster One thing I've noticed is that the game does not handle the inertia of the acceleration too well. Probably this is why we have such a bad traction simulation. When you give gas to the truck, it imediately goes spinning the wheels and moving, like there is no weight on the tires that causes friction. Now that I think about it, it is probably thae weight that is not propely simulated. IDK.

I suspect the basic cosmetic changes were done exactly to avoid issues with licensing. I would much rather have the trucks we did at the start with a tweak here or there rather than drop them for only those that could be recreated to the last radiator grille.

I know that there has been massive demand from the outset for more licensed vehicles and fair enough to the team for fulfilling this demand but I really hope with all my heart that we don't lose these originals in the process.

For me, the essence of MudRunner is grinding these old school Russian Military trucks through the grime, watching the suspension travel with those great mud bias tyres.

I'm assuming the roots of the game and dev team being Russian means we won't lose these, or the options to use them across all maps but just in case anybody's thinking about it, please please please don't drop the old school goodness 😉

last edited by zoglet

@zoglet I'm with you on this. The soul of this franchise is with the old soviet vehicles in syberia. Now, if they add other locations and vehicles, I will not complain, but loosing the russian side of the game will be a huge downside for me. In the other hand, if they decide to make, let's say, Mudrunner 2 based only in america to then make a Mudrunner 3 a few years down the line based in Australia and keep on moving the scenario like this... probably will apeal to me as well...

@deathcoreboy1 I gotta say I really like that idea of different countries and vehicles but I just raised a related point around the AW DLC in another post. All well and good with enough maps and vehicles to keep us busy/happy but knowing how much time and effort goes into map and model design, I’d still prefer it if they would tag on the ‘classic maps and vehicles’ of earlier releases to make sure we had longevity and variety of gameplay rather than start from scratch and end up with too few. That’s just my view though.

last edited by zoglet

@zoglet That'd be great, but it depends on how compatible the new editor and game engine is with the older ones. If they manage to slam the old maps into the game without much effort, that'd be amazing. Now, if they have to recreate them from scratch, I'd rather they focus on creating new ones instead. At the end of the day, I've played the current maps countless times now.

Imagine how great it'd be when they come back to URSS enviroments, a few games from now!

@deathcoreboy1 said in Good or Bad - The move away from generic to now licensed vehicles?:

I prefer licensed vehicles because I like true to life trucks down to the tiniest details. Now, if you think about it, original Spintires used unlicensed vehicles and it does not have that many anyway so...

eh... you do know the original trucks were modeled after the real counter parts. they just never got licensing. hence why they changed the looks of them for MR.

i was a bit unhappy to learn my favorite truck got a new ugly grille when i first saw the preview for it. 🤢

@8up-local Yup, specially since IMHO the new grills are horrendous. Now, I wonder why ST did never change anything from the trucks and haven't have any issues with it.