My Big Pet Peeve With Mudrunner.

πŸ€” ok i am in the right thread....lol

also there is the situation of not being able to turn our own wheels when a vehicle rolls to a certain angle.

not sure if anyone else has encountered this same thing, but i have been in situations where the angle was enough i could not turn my wheels, but yet the vehicle remained running.

I do not understand though how you don't even flip your truck that much and it still stalls, but you will be at a full 90Β° and your truck will still be running.

last edited by RiskyWisky

@riskywisky I think 90 degrees is the cutoff angle. Just one of those things that are simplified. BeamNG does this nicely. A car flips over, and a few seconds later you start to get oil starvation & damage. The engine doesn't instantly turn off. But some modern cars may have an auto-engine-turnoff feature when it detects a crash, not something MR needs to concern itself with.

If I had a Pet Peeve it would be that there is virtually nothing hardcore about hardcore mode. One would think mud would be softer in hardcore, maps would be harder. But no. Besides manual loading there is next to nothing. Yea vehicles burn more fuel if damaged, that's a complete non-factor. If you drive careful you won't damage your vehicle.

There isn't more objectives, you don't need to move more logs, the maps aren't any harder. What's so hardcore about hardcore mode?

So yea that's my pet peeve.

@justinlynch3 Yup. The mud essentially just slows you down in this game. It's rare to actually get stuck in mud (not including rocks, trees, etc. in your way). The new ST does this better. It's actually possible to sink too low in the mud and get stuck. But even with that game, I've suggested to the devs to also simulate the bottom of the truck resting on mud when the wheels sink in too much. That would make getting stuck even more likely. Once they do that, it'll be perfect as far as mud physics go.

MR would easily win me back if the devs provided this level of realism (and made the mud look less chunky), but I doubt they'll listen. They seem too busy just making more DLC's with less mud and where the trucks just ease through any mud that's present.

last edited by Unster

This is how hardcore shall differ from casual mode:

1. No manual Loading. That is just stupid.
  2. Fuel Consumption is greatly increased with a full load of logs.
  3. Different, Crappier trucks to begin with
  4. Mud should be more slick.
  5. The Center Of Mass On Trucks Need to be adjusted ( a little lowered for trucks with a lighter suspension)
  6. Night time should be longer, and day should be shorter (by just a little bit)

If these changes were made, then stock logging would be enjoyable.

@riskywisky Shall or should? πŸ˜‰ And I think you mean no automatic loading, not manual. That's already part of the game. I don't know about the other suggestions. What I would want for hardcore is just more realism, especially regarding physics. Pavement should act like pavement, not snow. And mud should act like mud, not like some thick soup for trucks to push through.

One huge pet peeve is the behaviour of the automatic transmission which always downshifts to first and makes you slow down much more than needed. I just checked SpinTires new beta and there the automatic transmission downshifts properly allowing you to keep as much momentum as possible.

Otherwise I second the weird traction on pavement. I think they just made it so that weaker trucks can't pull big loads uphill but they should have just made the engines stall instead (yes, even in automatic and first gear - so that you would need to get a running start before reaching the hill).

I would also like to see maybe a small slider to control the points needed for each lumber mill, on choosing a map screen. Something like 8-12-16 would be nice. That should also allow the community to make interesting maps without having to add 5+ lumber mills to compensate.

From what I'm seeing MR2 will feature quite a bit of a gameplay change so it would be nice if we could still go back to MR1 for the 'old-school' style. Of course, we could only do that if it were properly finished first.

If i took a Truck right now and drove it up a hill keeping momentum in the throttle, then i would 9/10 most likely not downshift with an automatic transmission. But the opposite happens in mudrunner.

@riskywisky said in My Big Pet Peeve With Mudrunner.:

If i took a Truck right now and drove it up a hill keeping momentum in the throttle, then i would 9/10 most likely not downshift with an automatic transmission. But the opposite happens in mudrunner.

In real life when climbing a hill rpm lowers in a decreasing fashion. Basically unless you're really in too high of a gear the vehicle will find a way to go across the hill, even if it's struggling.

As far as MR is concerned it's not even that much of a problem to figure it out. You don't have to do complicated calculations on the fly to figure out exactly which gear you need to downshift to. You could just apply a simple rule that you downshift 2 gears every time (except for when you're in second), then restart the calculation. Provided that the gears ratios are spaced out in a linear fashion you would just need to figure out the moment when you need to trigger the downshift and apply that regardless of current gear.

Of course, this would be the most basic way of tackling this. A more advanced way would be to do on the fly gear reduction calculations so that the gear you drop reaches a minimum amount of rpm.

@riskywisky said in My Big Pet Peeve With Mudrunner.:

You obviously never drove my Delica XD

At the risk of sounding arrogant (and I apologise if I do) I'm guessing you haven't hauled several hundred tons of fallen trees through several feet of Siberian mud using a Russian military truck built in the sixties. I'm not saying I have but I feel the experience feels pretty good.

Don't get me wrong, if there was a version of MudRunner with crazy Icelandic lava wall climbing monsters, that would be fun too, but I'm not sure that having them both on the same map at the same time makes much sense.

The irony is the biggest problem with the game is it's biggest strength. We are given this awesome sandbox and immediately recognise it's potential in becoming the off road driving game of our dreams. Unfortunately there are as many off road dreams as there are off road drivers (actually, no wait, millions more)

On the topic of (hardcore) difficulty. I really think the whole thing with garages takes away a lot of the challenge. It's not very difficult to 1-star maps. Once you unlock a decent truck you're pretty much home; it's just a matter of time. (maybe some of the later maps are more difficult? haven't actually played that many yet) Once you find a fuel station, fuel effectively becomes a non issue. Picking addons is fun, but there are always a given few that are going to be the best ones, and the rest don't matter. There are too many truck spawns also.

I think it would be more interesting if truck spawns were fewer and fixed (or random within a given class), and more importantly, their addons. Balance this carefully according to what's required to complete the map, and then remove garages. (or maybe keep them as reparation stations) I want to say remove fuel addons, too (keep stations), but would be a shame to flat out remove a whole category of addons.

I hope this will work differently in Mudrunner 2.

A big peeve (for me), that has been around for the entire game is Balance Points set by the creators of mods, I know that some modders a very proud of their mods, BUT to have a truck with 6 Balance points on it (really). most maps only give 5 stars all together..
So unless i'm (cheating) using STMod and spawn the truck into the map , i cannot use it, plain and simple. It seems like " here's a great mod, but you can't use it unless you , cheat with the STMod. even 5 point trucks are a waste. So i can pick one truck to run thru a map.. If you feel your mod is a valuable asset to game play, make it 2 stars.. On a 5 star map that is a big chunk of the allotment. it has always seemed totally useless to me to have 4,5,6 star mods. I Feel, that this should be considered and spoke of more. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO HAVE TO CHEAT (SPAWN) IN ORDER TO USE SOME REALLY GOOD MODS.
RUFUS

@rufus said in My Big Pet Peeve With Mudrunner.:

A big peeve (for me), that has been around for the entire game is Balance Points set by the creators of mods, I know that some modders a very proud of their mods, BUT to have a truck with 6 Balance points on it (really). most maps only give 5 stars all together..
So unless i'm (cheating) using STMod and spawn the truck into the map , i cannot use it, plain and simple. It seems like " here's a great mod, but you can't use it unless you , cheat with the STMod. even 5 point trucks are a waste. So i can pick one truck to run thru a map.. If you feel your mod is a valuable asset to game play, make it 2 stars.. On a 5 star map that is a big chunk of the allotment. it has always seemed totally useless to me to have 4,5,6 star mods. I Feel, that this should be considered and spoke of more. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO HAVE TO CHEAT (SPAWN) IN ORDER TO USE SOME REALLY GOOD MODS.
RUFUS

Yea it’s the reason all of my mods are 1 star just so no issues happen.

@rufus You can always just change the balance points in the mod's xml file if it bothers you. I've changed some but in the opposite way as I felt some mod trucks didn't have enough stars for their size and carrying capacity. I like to keep the mod trucks balanced with the stock trucks.

i reread my post and it came out a little harsh. not my intention. sorry if i rubbed anyone's fur.
GREAT TIMING FOR THIS THREAD.. I LOST MY GAME AGAIN AFTER A FOCUS UPDATE!!!
this is the reason I most likely not be purchasing MR2 are the dev's that messed-up?
This happens Every time!! don't want to even try the STMod the update might of messed that up like it always does

I was just thinking the same thing, Just did Downhill map in 2Hrs 22m and I only had to fuel one truck once. Took something like 4 days to do the original hill map, but there is a lot more ST experience since then. And my other pet peeves are still there, the camera with no zoom, winch line is too short and the time scale is way too fast.

@lroybull after playing all vanilla maps, downhill on hardcore was best experience by far

@lroybull The camera has 2 levels of zoom. Scroll with the mouse wheel if you're on a PC.

ST beta has 4 levels of camera zoom and a longer winch line in addition to other improvements, if you're interested. I know I've said this before, but because of the new ST I don't even play MR anymore.