My Big Pet Peeve With Mudrunner.

This is not to start or fire up and riots, fights or anything else. Please keep this discussion as friendly as possible, and family friendly.

The whole Spintires frachise has been known for the games insane logging missions, right? Well to me it feels like Mudrunner made logging too easy. Back in the old game, You started off with crap trucks (just so yall know if im loggin i dont change trucks) that then you would use to unlock a better truck that can do the job better. You also had to worry much more about damage, and fuel (i turn off spintires mod on logging). In the Original Spintires, when you did multiplayer, there would be 2 People Carrying Logs, And the other 2 people carrying fuel and repair. Now it feels like that either there is too many repair points on the stock trucks or it is harder to break your truck. Logging is what the SpinTires franchise is based off of, and it seems that mudrunner flat out crushed it.

@riskywisky Have you tried the new ST beta? It's more hardcore than MR is, particularly when it comes to mud simulation. I'm enjoying it a lot.

As far as worrying about fuel, well that depends a lot on how many fuel stations a map has and that can vary greatly from map to map. The AW maps were pretty easy, with lots of fuel & pavement. Hopefully MR2 goes back to its hardcore roots, and so far it sounds like it is. Until then, I'll be playing ST.

@Unster Yes the new beta is really nice. Mudrunner should be more difficult in my opinion.

@riskywisky Another thing I enjoy more in ST is the realistic winch points. You actually have to attach your winch to a tow hook. In MR you get all kinds of winch points, even the fuel tank on the side of a truck. That would be quite a disaster in real life.

@unster That was actually requested feature, but the result is a bit mixture between what it suppose to be and what was possible without deep changes.
If you want to roll your truck back to wheels, these side points make a lot of sense. IRL you do it exactly like that (obviously you are going for tougher structures than fuel tank, but in a principle).
And becuase game doesn't support "passive winch point" (point that you can attach your winch to, but can't actually winching) we ended with these side winches...
But I like this more than winchpoints just in the front and back, because with just those, I was dragging rolled truck around for a while and getting it back on wheels was more pure luck than anything else...

@sodoma Understood. Yes getting a truck back on its wheels can be a pain, but unrealistic side winch points aren't the answer IMO. Of course it doesn't help that the devs removed the steer left/right option on overturned vehicles.

@sodoma even more of a pain since we can no longer steer rolled or towed vehicles. was nice to be able to turn a trucks wheels into the ground to help it bite when rolling back onto it's wheels.

@8up-local As I said right above you. 😉

1: IRL, when an engine is flipped over, the engine does not shut off immidietly. What ends up happening is oil (in the motor) starts to get in parts of the motor that its not suppost to, causing the engine to flood itself. What the Developers should impliment is if you get flipped over, your motor starts taking damage (like 25 per 2 seconds) and then eventually your engine will stall. That would make it more realistic and make it less of a pain in the butt when your truck is flipped over.

2: They should make it to where the winch wraps around the tree (like in most cases IRL) instead of it being 'magically' connected by nothing.

@unster
It is answer (obviously) but I agree that not a nice one. But agait, without creating new game mechanic (passive WP) what else you can do?
@8up-local
My guess about removing certain features like that is simplification for gamepad/console users. It is just guess so do not quote me on that, but it seems reasonable to me.
@RiskyWisky
2: Make such thing looks actually reasonable could be interesting task on its own, so not a thing for current title, but we will see with MR2 😃

@sodoma it works when using controller (PC). it is only a problem with key board controls. also it does actually work, but only on the Atypes for KB. the rest of the bigger trucks, nada. now for console? idk since i play on PC and so far no one has taken the time to confirm or deny this problem for console as far as i know, but then again who on console is going to play on key board? so, it looks like it has not been removed. if it has been changed then why does it still work on the Atypes and for controller? i do not know if force accel works with a wheel, so someone else will have to comment about that. however i reported this the day Mudrunner released and since have been told many times this was to be looked at with no reply after, either way every time thus far. however with MR2 soon to come i see no reason for this to be looked at or fixed. also i have been the only person to push this subject. maybe it is just me? so far i seem to be the only person i can find that uses the controls in the game the way i do. most seem to play with a wheel or controller. key board users i have seen or come across do not use force accel the way i do, if they even use it at all. this point i fail to see bothering with this "bug" now. i can only hope that if force accel makes it to MR2 that this will be corrected. guess i will just have to wait and see. 😐

@8up-local I thought that we are speaking about "forced steering of towed vehicle" or did I missed something?
I know about your issue with force-accel/cruise control and upcoming update/fix should solve that for you 🙂

@sodoma i just realized i have been posting in the wrong thread. lmfao :smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes: talk about being blind sheez.....

and thanks for the info as well.

last edited by A Former User

@riskywisky said in My Big Pet Peeve With Mudrunner.:

1: IRL, when an engine is flipped over, the engine does not shut off immidietly. What ends up happening is oil (in the motor) starts to get in parts of the motor that its not suppost to, causing the engine to flood itself. What the Developers should impliment is if you get flipped over, your motor starts taking damage (like 25 per 2 seconds) and then eventually your engine will stall. That would make it more realistic and make it less of a pain in the butt when your truck is flipped over.

2: They should make it to where the winch wraps around the tree (like in most cases IRL) instead of it being 'magically' connected by nothing.

Agreed. Flipped running engines would also suffer from oil starvation as the oil pump may run dry and not be able to pump oil throughout the engine. That would likely be a bigger issue than the engine actually flooding with oil.

As far as winching I always assumed the game was implying that the winch was bolted into the tree, at least that's what it looks like. But yeah IRL it would get ripped out.

@sodoma said in My Big Pet Peeve With Mudrunner.:

It is answer (obviously) but I agree that not a nice one. But agait, without creating new game mechanic (passive WP) what else you can do?

What I would do is put the winch points on structurally strong areas of the truck, like the tow hooks and certain areas of the undercarriage if the truck is flipped over. Attaching winches to fuel tanks just looks silly.

@unster See your point. On the other hand, in attempt to flip truck you go for "as wide points as possible", IRL that could be carriade itself.
In case that your points have to be set once for all, you have to go for basic structure of the truck and in that way, you may end up with AW DLC solution. These points in there are actually on undercarriage, but as a result they are so close to each other, they are hardly helping for flipping truck back on its wheels.
I understand that having such things on fuel tank is "not a wise idea" but under a game circumstances I can live with that...

@sodoma It's one of those things that I also lived with, but now that I'm playing ST with its realistic winch points I realize how silly this was in MR. But the "easy" mud in MR is what bugs me more. I hope the physics are better (more accurate) in MR2.

@sodoma
Actually about the truck fliped, Mudrunner has some code who could be reused for that function without actually making something completly new.

When you are in the water your truck is taking different type of damage given the depth of the water you are in,well this is suited for this situation, yes there is some adjustment to be made sure but still it s close, and since there is allready a function to check if the truck is fliped or not, some adjustment has to be made to check in a more precise way the angulation of the truck to adjust the damage inflicted.

So without making something more complicated for that version of the game we could have a working function for that situation who allow you to keep your engine running or not,given the situation you are in and like in the water chose to cut your engine or not.

last edited by Raphael

@riskywisky said in My Big Pet Peeve With Mudrunner.:

so basically gta sa stuff without explosions xd