Why can't I pick up ammo for my own gun?

Why is it that I can only pick up ammo from the ground if I am using a scavenged gun? It makes no sense.

Also, I sometimes accidentally do a fast reload instead of a normal one. This drops my mag on the floor, but then I can't pick it up. This also makes no fecking sense.

I heard someone suggest on Steam that this was "to balance out the fast reload". But that makes no sense either, because when scavenging ammo I am making myself vulnerable to being attacked for a brief time. So that would "balance out" the fast reload, surely?

last edited by Congas

@congas said in Why can't I pick up ammo for my own gun?:

Why is it that I can only pick up ammo from the ground if I am using a scavenged gun? It makes no sense.

You're always able to pick up scavenged magazines. However, you still have a limit on how many mags you can carry at one time (per weapon type), and you spawn with a full load of magazines, so you have to fast-reload or reload on an empty mag to be able to actually take a mag out of someone else's firearm.

Also, I sometimes accidentally do a fast reload instead of a normal one.

That's not the game's fault.

I heard someone suggest on Steam that this was "to balance out the fast reload". But that makes no sense either, because when scavenging ammo I am making myself vulnerable to being attacked for a brief time. So that would "balance out" the fast reload, surely?

Well... not exactly. You can scavenge a mag out of a firearm at any time. I wouldn't recommend scavenging magazines in a combat scenario.

However, the speed reload gives you a faster reload time which is extremely useful in a combat scenario as it can save precious time. Being able to pick up your dropped magazines once the combat scenario is over would make normal reloads completely pointless.

"That's not the game's fault."

I beg to differ. Speed reload could potentially be a separate bind, or the "double tap to speed reload" thing could be a user defined setting.

"Being able to pick up your dropped magazines once the combat scenario is over would make normal reloads completely pointless"

Not sure I follow your logic here:

I do a speed reload so I can maybe save my skin in the heat of combat. Once (and if) my ass has been saved, then if I choose to make myself vulnerable by picking up the mag, then surely this is the balancing factor and not the inability to pick up dropped ammo. It's a free choice whether to pick up the mag or not, just as it is a choice to do a speed load or not.

Never got why the speed reload needs more button presses than the slow one.

Would make more sense if I could set a quick tap of R to do a fast reload, and hold R to do a slow one.

The quick action should have the quick bind I think.

If you speed reload by accident that's your fault, the reloading mechanics should not be seperated for one individuals inability to carefully press a key. Setting more keybinds for simple things would just frustrate more people.

Think about this in regards to the scavenged weapons, what do you see on the ground? a gun with a magazine loaded, you get whatever bullets are left in that magazine. Any mags you'd find in theory if mags were dropped items would be spent ones dropped during speed reloads and the odd one containing some bullets. It would be nice if you could find additional scavenged mags on the floor but then instead of focusing on the objective you'd be running about scouring the floor for magazines hoping to find one or two with some rounds left.

Just pick up another gun and move on with the objective, or go to a resupply point located at completed objectives/respawn points and load-up.

" the reloading mechanics should not be seperated for one individuals inability to carefully press a key"

This seems to be a common complaint and would therefore apply to more than just "one individual".

Yeah, I always design things under the assumption that if a good number of people have a problem with the default, there should be an option to modify the action.

So, this could be the default, but being able to configure it for the users who want it changed is a reasonable ask.