A overlooked issue I wonder if they'll fix in Mudrunner 2.

You know in Mudrunner how say you can load up two trucks, winch them together, and haul two loads of lumber at one time to the mill. With multiple reports confirming vehicle recovery, I for now am going to assume you can still use the winch trick to pull double loads in Mudrunner 2, I might be wrong, maybe they'll remove it, but for now I'm going to assume it'll stay in.

But if this winch tactic does remain, can they fix the ai to follow your instructions?

Like I was just playing Mudrunner on Downhill map, I had a loaded C-255 and was hauling a C-375 behind me. Going down the trail my 255 was lock in 1st gear, but behind me it felt like the ai was using auto. The ai would go fast enough to be pushing me, up shift, shall out and cause my truck to jerk and slow down. I've had this happen on highways to and the jerking can get so rough at highway speeds it can actually cause damage to the trucks.

I don't see how hard it is to program ai to basically follow the leader. If the player is using manual first, just have the ai use manual first.

I assume this wasn't as much of a issue in Spintires as from what I've heard that game has a automatic transmission that actually downshifts properly. But in Mudrunner this can actually get rather annoying sometimes.

What do you guys think of this issue?

never had this problem,

Haven't had the issue with the downshift and jerky thing, but yeah sometimes the truck behind runs into me and pushes me a bit.

While pulling sometimes I have an issue while turning around in a tight space. While driving forward slowly and turning sharp, at some point the vehicle behind will shift into reverse and start trying to pull away from me. Sometimes it doesn't matter, but I've had instances when doing it with a trailer where the vehicle behind will reverse and pull the trailer it's hooked to onto its side.

Not too big of a deal though, and usually it's fairly easy to see what's going on, but sometimes while in first person or with the camera turned a certain way it's easy to miss until your trailer is tipping.

@morbid said in A overlooked issue I wonder if they'll fix in Mudrunner 2.:

Haven't had the issue with the downshift and jerky thing, but yeah sometimes the truck behind runs into me and pushes me a bit.

While pulling sometimes I have an issue while turning around in a tight space. While driving forward slowly and turning sharp, at some point the vehicle behind will shift into reverse and start trying to pull away from me. Sometimes it doesn't matter, but I've had instances when doing it with a trailer where the vehicle behind will reverse and pull the trailer it's hooked to onto its side.

Not too big of a deal though, and usually it's fairly easy to see what's going on, but sometimes while in first person or with the camera turned a certain way it's easy to miss until your trailer is tipping.

I've had that one happen to. There is a trick though for that one, if you catch the second truck behind starting to reverse then quickly flip up your map and it brings all vehicles to a stop. You can then disconnect the winch and bring both vehicles around the turn independently.

@justinlynch3 I don't think that this is really an issue that matters. I suspect you're using the winch in ways it was not meant for. For trucks it's meant to pull other trucks out of sticky situations. I don't think it was meant for hauling double loads to the lumber mills and the AI hasn't been programmed for that.

@unster

There is a steam achievement for doing it, so the game was made at least knowing it can be done. Also, the programming to have the truck being pulled generally follow the lead truck is there, as the trucks will follow the player and at least sometimes behave themselves.

I always use this to cut the delivery time in half, but the trucks certainly can behave a bit odd. Personally I just keep the winch set to "pull" unless I really need the extra HP, and try to not go too fast on asphalt. As long as you aren't going too fast the trucks will usually behave themselves. If you go too fast doing this, the rear truck may attack the lead truck and flip it over.

last edited by ManfredE3

@manfrede3 Oh, I wasn't aware there was an achievement for that. I have also noticed the towed truck doesn't keep a good distance from the lead truck, sometimes ramming it, especially going downhill. I just assumed the game wasn't intended to be played that way.

I personally don't like to use this method. I preffer to drive both trucks one at a time and reserve the winch for winch sutuations

I used the truck-train method a couple times, until I realized not only did I not enjoy driving that way, I was also cheating myself out of half the driving.

Yeah I've had some weirdness too when towing but more around the towed truck wanting to go backwards when the front truck is going forwards. Yesterday I was towing the UAZ with the Hummer. Both real fast on their own, when towing, the back one was always dragging behind and slowing the front one down to well below normal speed, regardless of which order you towed them in.

One thing to consider is the trucks you are using are rarely the same. They have different performance characteristics empty and based on their load which will affect their behaviour. They are also negotiating different parts of the track, even if only a few metres apart, and therefore their traction characteristics are going to be different. The physics engine is very clever but not exactly smart. It just does its thing and the trucks behave accordingly. Sometime with really frustrating or really hilarious results. Check out my recent "Hummer on crack" video upload to the Mudrunners group.

I don't do the winch thing often, but if you do and go down some fairly steep declines, you can coast your truck in reverse and use the winch button to make the follow truck pull against the cable, keeping it off you.