MudRunner 2 News Recap

@justinlynch3 LMAO! your cricket made my day!! hahaha

I wonder if Focus decided not to show MR2 on E3 so that their game would not be overshadowed by the most important games such as Cyberpunk?

I think I figured it out, they aren't telling us anything so we won't have expectations they may not meet. Like with assassin's Creed unity and no man's sky.

@knight25 said in MudRunner 2 News Recap:

I wonder if Focus decided not to show MR2 on E3 so that their game would not be overshadowed by the most important games such as Cyberpunk?

That would be silly as it's not competing with those games anyways. This is way too much of niche title to be playing any kind of games with when/how they release info about it.

This is a slow-paced simulation game about a mundane task. People interested in the newest Call of Battlefield shooter or the next Fortnite/Apex Legends/whatever trendy multiplayer game aren't going to have the attention span to care about MR2 anyway.

@deathcoreboy1 Thanks. I'm happy to see someone got some joy from it.

@kingnightshadow Of course that seems to be how marketing works in general, we get some news from E3 then not a peep from ev's until close to release. Technically it is the safe way to market your game, however clearly fans hate it. Things was better in the 90's and early 2000's when companies actually marketed and hyped up their games. Sure some didn't live up to expectations, but damnit at least we was excited to play them.

Not like these days where these big billion dollar corporations are walking around on eggshell's and keeping things secret because "oh boo hoo somebody might give us a bad review.". Freaking billion dollar pussy babies, that's all they are now.

Doesn't make a difference anyway, if somebody simply doesn't like a game a they'll leave a bad review regardless. So what's the point? You may as well hype the game as much as possible. But that's how it all, all these big game companies and movie studios, and they are all scared of faceless nobodies on Twitter and little small time Youtubers, most of whom outside a very small few can't ever hope to be as big as they are. So nobody's willing to take risks anymore. It's sad really.

I'd go as far as to even say that social media has to much influence these days. Yea it's one thing for people to have their voices be heard, but social media can kill a project before it's even off the ground if it isn't political in the right way, or supports certain groups of people, or is offense to like 1% of the people on Earth. Social media has to much power. Sadly I think things are only going to get worse.

@Morbid said in MudRunner 2 News Recap:

This is a slow-paced simulation game about a mundane task. People interested in the newest Call of Battlefield shooter or the next Fortnite/Apex Legends/whatever trendy multiplayer game aren't going to have the attention span to care about MR2 anyway.

I dont agree, they could be as interested as anyone its about impression they get from trailer, gameplay or whatever at presentation. Whether trailer was shown right after cyberpunk or elden ring. I myself am gamer who grew up playing those kinda mainstream stuff and i would never consider my self as lover of simulator but when i first came across spintires it had something special that captivated my mind, so u cant ever say ppl wont be interested cause of AAA game clouds it especially when they are completely different genres

I think it was more of a case them not being ready to show of the raw gameplay,
Like they did 2 years ago.. they revealed game 2 months before release to avoid as much criticism as possible for not delivering the promises, seeing mudrunner 2 at e3 would have been fresh air, nothing like that was shown neither on microsoft nor ubisoft conferences it would really have been unique and considering fact that overall attention e3 gathers it would have been good chance to show off ur new game to the world.

And Mr SilverHand agrees... They missed huge opportunity

alt text

@justinlynch3 ur sadly 100% right, US is going downhill slowly and hopefully it drags itself out of there somehow.. i mean we have stupid journalist complaining about HBO chernobyl not having black actors as firefighter when there literally was 0 blacks in pripyat in 1986 and casting black actors as white magicians in netflix witcher when actual characters are celtic elves and so on... Its just so stupid, i mean i have no problem with anyone but when its forced like this it very sad, do you see me complaining about black panther not being white? No cause its aesthetically wrong and unpleasing. But many companies like EA are too scared to anger those journalists overall "progressive ppl" and what we get is mediocre ww2 game with stories that are just inaccurate and tbh cringy to experience cause u know its forced, if they dont include disabled woman with prosthetic arms on front line in fucking second world war they gonna be bashed all over the social media for not being diverse enough..

Idk man, they call USA free country... Yeah right. Not anymore..

last edited by zamal

Know what? I saw yesterday a post on facebook about MudRunner making its way to XBox Game Pass, and, man... the comments! people hit hard on Mudrunner, even calling it a failure and a scam. And I mean, almost every comment I saw, was like this... We, in this forums love mudrunner, but ¿What happens in the outside? IDK, but probably, devs are scared because whenever they try to advertise anything about MR, they get bombarded from all fronts. You know, like that scene of "King Lion" when Rafiki hit Simba with the stick and then tried to hit him again and he dodged... MR team is probably preconditioned.

This game has always generated these kinds of reaction. People get so involved that end up heartbroken and heating when they see it does not go the way they wanted.

@zamal said in MudRunner 2 News Recap:

I dont agree, they could be as interested as anyone its about impression they get from trailer, gameplay or whatever at presentation. Whether trailer was shown right after cyberpunk or elden ring. I myself am gamer who grew up playing those kinda mainstream stuff and i would never consider my self as lover of simulator but when i first came across spintires it had something special that captivated my mind

I think there's an overlap of interests and it varies from player to player. Very few players probably play only one kind of game. While the typical action/shooter gamer won't be interested in MR, some will be. Personally I've been a true simulation fan for a long time, particularly driving simulators, but I play other genres too including some strategy, action and fighting games. So yes, we can't assume someone will or won't be interested in MR based on their recent play history.

last edited by Unster

@justinlynch3 very true. Like most the negative reviews mudrunner has, how many are actual reviews and not some broski complaining because he can't have his jacked up 4x4 or people complaining about a task that takes hours and hours irl taking hours in game. My favorite tho are the self appointed all knowing my word is the voice of all the fans, like Tom cat. It's very annoying to see a genuinely good game get bashed because it's not their style, yes I've complained and had my doubts and wants of jacked up trucks. But I still enjoy the vanilla game and making my own fun with what I got.

mudrunner is basically dark souls of simulator genre, many people cant play and they just complain about difficulty.. but we cant let them win brethren!

@zamal it's that difficulty really, common sense can get you out of a lot of issues. I have noticed they have dialed the mud back some so it's not nearly as hard as it use to be and I like this. As someone who's had to drive through horrible muddy roads before, even super slimy clay mud won't just stop you if your carful. That being said I've been stuck so hard before it took two tow trucks to pull me out lol

Personally I'm wondering if before mr2 drops. Will we get another dlc? I doubt it but it would be awesome

@kingnightshadow my personal opinion is that:

1- we will probably get final patch for mudrunner sometimes in june
2- then we get reveal of MR2 at gamescom
3- and finally game will be released in fall 19, maybe Halloween like mr1

i dont think they will bother with another DLC to be honest

@kingnightshadow said in MudRunner 2 News Recap:

I have noticed they have dialed the mud back some so it's not nearly as hard as it use to be and I like this.

Luckily this is adjustable as I found out recently (see my thread in the modding section for anyone who's interested). I'm a true simulation fan as I mentioned so I like realistic mud. Easy mud makes me not even want to play. I hope they don't screw this up in MR2. They should keep hardcore mode realistic and it was a mistake to make the mud easier. They could've done that just in casual mode. Otherwise what's the point of having different modes if they're all easy.

last edited by Unster

@Unster said in MudRunner 2 News Recap:

what's the point of having different modes if they're all easy.

I think this is more tricky than you think.
Because of gameplay, it is very difficult to balance difficulty level. You can't change map enviroment, you can only alternate some numbers and that is what game currently does.
Things are pretty easy as long as everything goes in accordance to your plan, but hit a tree by accident and it goes wrong very easily. Suddenly you have to deliver maintanance by something that is far away and not suited for that job. Difficulty and stakes rises rapidly.
In such situation hardcore is actually pretty hardcore, because whole map progress is in danger: because you can't just teleport your truck into garage and try it again, you'll lose everything by restarting the map.

Because if increased fuel consumptiom, steering afected by slopes and other features, you have to be more carefull otherwise you find yourself in that risky situation easily.
On the other hand I agree that "unstuckable" mud wasn't best idea ever...

@Unster that would be useful, but I'm a console player

@Sodoma You're correct that there are differences in difficulty between hardcore and casual. What I meant is that the hardcore mode without any changes is still too easy, at least for me. So it would be better to give hardcore mode more realistic (harder) mud, like what I've done by modding the xml files.

@kingnightshadow Yeah you can only do modding on the PC version, but if you're happy with the current mud then there's nothing to do.

@Unster That is the thing - game doesn't alter anything in enviroment, so mud is same under both difficulties. I can't imagine how mapmaker could balance map when such thing as mud depth is altered by difficulty level...

@Sodoma i think one way to make it happen would be to have same map with 2 different versions manually made by DEV casual/hardcore and in hardcore some parts of the map would be more muddier with puddles, rocks, twigs, etc. that way not only fuel consumption and other factors have effect on difficulty but these too