MudRunner 2 News Recap

I think you guys are over-thinking it. Mud depth wouldn't change with difficulty level and there's no need to have multiple versions of a map. What the devs could do is apply the harder mud xml settings to hardcore mode, and leave the easier mud for casual mode. The maps and mud would look identical. Only the behavior of the trucks would change.

@Unster not so much happy as in to me. It's realistic but could have a bit more realism. Like not getting stuck Everytime you press the gas. That is annoying to me to have to crawl everywhere. I know from experience gassing on it won't just bring you to a stop lol well unless like me you get a small falledn tree some how stuck on your axel lol

@kingnightshadow Define "stuck". If you mean stuck in place not going anywhere, that actually never happens in this game unless you have a tree, rock or slope blocking you. That's what I had in mind when I said the mud was too easy. But if you mean that shallow mud slows you down too much, that I could agree with and that's one thing I corrected with my mod. Basically I made the difference between the effect of shallow and deep mud greater, where deep mud actually gets you stuck (no moving) while shallow mud is pretty easy to drive through, and you have to be careful where you drive. I hope MR2 will be like that out of the box.

last edited by Unster

@Unster like unable to move forwards or backwards without the help of another truck/winch. Slowly moving is more annoying then a problem lol

@kingnightshadow That's strange. Are you sure you didn't have something blocking you like a fallen tree? That would be a map design issue rather than a problem with the mud.

last edited by Unster

@Unster said in MudRunner 2 News Recap:

@kingnightshadow Define "stuck". If you mean stuck in place not going anywhere, that actually never happens in this game unless you have a tree, rock or slope blocking you. That's what I had in mind when I said the mud was too easy. But if you mean that shallow mud slows you down too much, that I could agree with and that's one thing I corrected with my mod. Basically I made the difference between the effect of shallow and deep mud greater, where deep mud actually gets you stuck (no moving) while shallow mud is pretty easy to drive through, and you have to be careful where you drive. I hope MR2 will be like that out of the box.

I might completely misread his post. But, to me it sounds like he was saying he doesn't like using the crawler gears, and that you should be able to floor it though muddy areas as he knows from experience that works.

Again, might completely misread and misunderstood. But that's the message I took from his post.

So IF he is always going around in high gear or auto, then yes even with current mud you'll get stuck a lot.

Actually, what @Unster says is true. He has archived a pretty good mud behavior making shallow mud easier to go through and deep mud harder. It's a pretty good experience and has changed the game for me. In vanilla game, even the tiniest puddle, slows you down as it's glue lying on the floor.

@Unster If it'll be more difficult, some passages might get unpassable and map impossible to finish.
Mud is a very base thing when we speak about map difficulty, so altering such thing doesn't seem wise to me.

But that doesn't mean that current state is perfect and can't be improved

@Sodoma I'd say: try it out! I was surprised by how much better it behaves after modifying the xml with @Unster values

@Sodoma It's a valid concern, but even the devs have messed with the mud properties and in the case of ST also the winch length without a real concern for existing map difficulty. Do my settings make maps harder? Absolutely, at least those with deep mud (pavement and hard dirt is actually easier to drive on now). But have I got to the point where they're impossible? No, at least not yet.

I do admit there's one map I play right now where my game was literally saved by the scout vehicle recall feature, as all my other trucks were stuck in mud with no winch-able point close enough. I've never had that before, but I love this kind of thrill where a game could end because all vehicles are stuck. I never got that with the stock mud and it was getting boring.

last edited by Unster

@justinlynch3 I like using them, but in shallow mud it makes no sense that flooring it causes you to just slow to a slow crawl.

@Unster No. It was in fender deep mud that the crawler gears and full throttle did nothing. Just held in place which is unrealistic in the sense of it's a 6x6 truck with tall slender tires. Getting stuck that easily is hard. Tho I got a duce 1/2 completely stuck a few times so. Maybe I'm just being dumb about it

Devs confirmed that maps will be connected via some passages.
So it may become open world game (mode). Cool.

@Stazco said in MudRunner 2 News Recap:

Devs confirmed that maps will be connected via some passages.
So it may become open world game (mode). Cool.

hmmm....passages 🤔
loading screens or actual passages you can drive? i figure loading screens.

@8up-local hopefully it's like a pass through dense woods and you can see a slow Transition to the new biome type, like if going to the snow as you go along snow starts to be seen and ice encountered before pulling out into a frozen playground. I'm excited for the snow map, I hope there are multiple and at least one that's like downhill but snow and icy

It won't happen I know but, one think that would be amazing I if there was a snow map set like the artic circle with small to huge gaps in the ice your driving on that could completely end your run by swallowing up your truck and to keep it so the pattern can't be learned. Have the map be procedurally generated so it's always different. Maybe it'll be easy maybe it'll be a living nightmare to navigate. Idk about y'all but that would be awesome to see for me.

Also, one of the things said was to unlock more trucks you'd have to find and rescue them....... I'm just saying, this would be more fun then standard pulling or warping to a garage.
OFF ROAD TOW EXTREME 4X4 WRECKER RESCUES BUGGY by BSF Recovery Team

last edited by kingnightshadow

@kingnightshadow said in MudRunner 2 News Recap:

@Unster No. It was in fender deep mud that the crawler gears and full throttle did nothing. Just held in place which is unrealistic in the sense of it's a 6x6 truck with tall slender tires. Getting stuck that easily is hard. Tho I got a duce 1/2 completely stuck a few times so. Maybe I'm just being dumb about it

Fender deep? That sounds pretty deep. You'd be stuck in real life too. Plus full throttle can make it worse. In situations where you're close to getting stuck you need to go easy on the throttle to avoid burying your tires even deeper.

@Unster I guess that is true. I'm probably just being dumb lol

So um. Is it a bad sign that every time I play grizzly Creek my Xbox starts artifacting. I've tried every game i own physical and digital and its only when I load up grizzly Creek that it dose that.