Game needs a massive overhaul for base structure

Game has no instructions at all and because of that is very piss poor.

First of all it took me 2 weeks to figure out and get an answer to how to actually connect online. And because of that problem, it didn't surprise me to see all the rest of this crap happening as well.

Tonight was the first time I entered online campaign and here was a lot of bullshit I ran into.

1. There is absolutely no possible way for a player to know wtf is going on with the customization screen. It doesn't even explain how to know what weapons you have or anything like that.

2. I ran out of ammo. If there is a way to replenish ammo...that has yet to be explained. At least I never saw anything explaining it.

3. If there are multiple weapons, there is not only no possible way to know, but they cannot manually be switched. I only found out I had a second weapon because I ran out of ammo and it automatically switched me to another weapon..So apparently the only way to swap weapons is to use all the ammo in one gun and then you automatically get switched.

4. There is no health replenish of any kind (If there is, the game devs failed to explain anything about it) There isn't even anyway to know if you've taken damage and or how much.

5. No way to know wtf you're supposed to be doing..All I did was try to follow people I had no clue to WTF I was even doing or why.

6. There is NO jump, which means there is no way to get over obstacles. (If that's even possible) I got stuck because I couldn't join the others right in front of me because a counter was in the way. Dumb design to not allow characters just to hop or jump over a counter.

Unless you cannot do any of those 6 things then, The whole entire game is basically unplayable in the current condition it's in.

I suggest that the development team do a serious massive overhaul on the basic structure of the game and it's tutorial.

As it stands now, this game is a total mess.

last edited by TL_Gamer

A lot of these are super basic things that most people just figured out on their own by playing. Unfortunately there is no tutorial that walks you through all those things. I can try to help you with some of your points.

1. This area of the game is weak and could use some improvement. Basically before a game starts, you get to choose a player class with different perks (abilities), and a weapon loadout. You don't actually start with those weapons, you have to find them in game. There is a choice between weapons of the same type with different stats. You can only choose 1 and it has to be bought as an upgrade with ingame currency. Perks (class skills) must also be purchased with ingame currency, and you can only choose "1 skill per column". If you are in a game lobby that hasn't started, you might be able to choose your character design as well, although this is purely cosmetic and has pretty much no effect on the game.

2. There are certain "ammo crates" spread throughout the world. That will replenish ALL of your Primary and Secondary ammunitions, and they can be used infinitely. You must walk up to it and interact with it to replenish. They are not always in the exact same location (as the game has random spawning), but they are always placed in strategic locations especially around invasion/defense points.

3. This is another area of the game that is weak and could use improvement. There are three major categories of weapons: Primary, Secondary, and Heavy. You can only carry 1 of each category at a time. Within those categories, there is also a "Tier Division" that denotes relative strength. You can see this by how many "white slashes" an item has next to it's name. In each Tier, there are also different "types" of weapons such as Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns, etc. Even for each "type" of weapon, this can be further customized by weapon upgrades which can be purchased with ingame currency. If you check your options, you can set keys to switch between the weapons. The default is 1, 2, and 3, which is quite similar to other shooter games.

4. There are medkits in the game that can restore health. Medic class has some perks to bolster it's use. On easier difficulties, each character will start the game with a medkit. This shows up in the UI as a cross/plus. On harder difficulties, you do not start with a medkit and they must be found scattered throughout the world in random locations. A medic class will start with 1 medkit on any difficulty level.

5. The game has tons of audio prompts telling you what to do. There is an option to turn on subtitles, I highly recommend you turn this on for a visual cue. There is an objective list on the side of the screen which is much similar to "quests" in RPGs telling you what to do. A lot of what's going on in the game is spoken within the dialogue, so if you completely ignore what is being said you will easily feel lost. Again, subtitles can help with this.

6. There is no jump in the game. You can "climb" over certain obstacles, and there is a hotkey to do this. I'm not sure of the default as I've changed mine. Unfortunately you cannot tell which obstacles can be climbed until you run into one. Most of them are intuitive, or at least the important ones anyway.

A tutorial or an instruction manual would have helped greatly with these points. But like I said, most of us just jumped in and figured it out on our own. Find it a bit odd that this is what you have to complain over. If you read the other threads, there are more pertinent issues at hand...

The game does have some issues, agreed. For example 'you can climb up this side of this box but not the other side' or 'you can mantel this 1m wall but not this one'. However, I understand and accept that some limitations on movement and climbing are due to the predefined pathway through each stage.

I feel many of the mechanics were very easy to pick up (health, ammo, finding and using different weapons, etc.) but I've played many similar games (including L4D/2). But if you aren't familiar with weapon trees, health kits, ammo crates, etc. then I can see why you'd be confused. Also key-binds may complicate things for you - check them in your settings. Shame there wasn't a comprehensive manual.

There are YouTube videos and other web sites to help. Do some Googling. Also, play offline with the bots and listen to the audio prompting and queues.

last edited by FedSki

I'm going to segment information outlining things in your reply:
@vcjunky said in Game needs a massive overhaul for base structure:

A lot of these are super basic things that most people just figured out on their own by playing. Unfortunately there is no tutorial that walks you through all those things.>
Then it's a bad design. I'm really tired of game designers not including basic instructions and expecting players to be psychic. This isn't schoolwork, it's a game.

@vcjunky said in Game needs a massive overhaul for base structure: 1) This area of the game is weak and could use some improvement. Basically before a game starts, you get to choose a player class with different perks (abilities), and a weapon loadout. You don't actually start with those weapons, you have to find them in game.

Again, extremely bad design to be not even mentioning anything that important. It also stands to be obvious that if you don't even have it, then it shouldn't even be in the menu to begin with.

There is a choice between weapons of the same type with different stats.

You just said above you don't start with anything.

You can only choose 1 and it has to be bought as an upgrade with ingame currency.

Useless information because nothing of this is mentioned anywhere.

Perks (class skills) must also be purchased with ingame currency, and you can only choose "1 skill per column".

Again, totally useless because nothing about is explained in the slightest anywhere so it's totally pointless to even say this in your reply.

If you are in a game lobby that hasn't started, you might be able to choose your character design as well, although this is purely cosmetic and has pretty much no effect on the game.

That makes absolutely no sense and is ridiculous to bring up..Until everything up to this point has been thoroughly explained, the entire creation or selection screen does nothing and has no value. You cannot pick anything, you cannot start with anything, and nothing on the screen explains why it's there or what purpose it serves.

1. There are certain "ammo crates" spread throughout the world. That will replenish ALL of your Primary and Secondary ammunitions, and they can be used infinitely.

Useless information because this should have been explained. It also does not good unless you are shown an actual example of WTF this means in the game itself by having the game devs actually have the player do it.

You must walk up to it and interact with it to replenish.

Useless information because they have not been explained what you're even looking for.

1. This is another area of the game that is weak and could use improvement. There are three major categories of weapons: Primary, Secondary, and Heavy. You can only carry 1 of each category at a time. Within those categories, there is also a "Tier Division" that denotes relative strength. You can see this by how many "white slashes" an item has next to it's name. In each Tier, there are also different "types" of weapons such as Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns, etc. Even for each "type" of weapon, this can be further customized by weapon upgrades which can be purchased with ingame currency. If you check your options, you can set keys to switch between the weapons. The default is 1, 2, and 3, which is quite similar to other shooter games.

Everything you just said is pointless and makes no sense...before any of that is talked about how about the game devs start with all the basics of the entire interface layout FIRST, then go into some other things.

As it stands now I have absolutely no clue to anything you just said because above you said you don't even have anything to begin with and need to find it in the game which they haven't explained anything about that so that is also useless

@vcjunky said in Game needs a massive overhaul for base structure:4) There are medkits in the game that can restore health.

Without the game devs even saying so, then everything about medkits is useless information and clearly isn't that important.
When the game devs cannot even outline how to know you even need health or that there are kits and where they are and what they look like as well as how to use them or whatever, then it's pointless to say they're in the game.

1. The game has tons of audio prompts telling you what to do. There is an option to turn on subtitles, I highly recommend you turn this on for a visual cue.

The game devs don't even go over the interface layout of the most basic elements that are needed in order to play the game, you think anything as complex as audio is something a player is going to spend time going over..And as far as turning on subtitles...You shitting me, subtitles are for in game dialog between characters, not as tooltips for a player to read and say you know i should try that.

how about the devs actually put the damn game together correctly.

There is an objective list on the side of the screen which is much similar to "quests" in RPGs telling you what to do. A lot of what's going on in the game is spoken within the dialogue, so if you completely ignore what is being said you will easily feel lost. Again, subtitles can help with this.

First of all, ,it's totally irrelevant what is on the screen...THE GAME DEVS NEVER SAID ANYTHING SO THERE IS NO REASON AT ALL ANY PLAYER WOULD EVER DO KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT ANY OF THIS NEVER MIND DO IT, on top of that, since the devs are stupid enough to put instructions into the SUBTITLES then never mention it, a player will never ever even remotely think about that nor would they ever turn them on.

1. There is no jump in the game. You can "climb" over certain obstacles, and there is a hotkey to do this.

Then the developers should have explained this...

@vcjunky said in Game needs a massive overhaul for base structure:A tutorial or an instruction manual would have helped greatly with these points. But like I said, most of us just jumped in and figured it out on our own. Find it a bit odd that this is what you have to complain over.

And I find it a bit odd how you fail to see that this is a serious and major problem. The game is 100% unplayable in this condition. It is not the responsibility of the player to do massive amounts of research in order to be able to play a game.

I have outlined what is a total prevention of someone being able to actually PLAY the game. It contains NO INSTRUCTIONS and they are required.

It doesn't sound like you've played video games before?

If you want to know the controls, look at the controls screen.

@benjamin-wharton said in Game needs a massive overhaul for base structure:

It doesn't sound like you've played video games before?
If you want to know the controls, look at the controls screen.

I've played plenty of games (Not that it's relevant) but only a couple were as bad as this. Nothing you said i relevant nor will it solve the problem. Controls are useless without all the needed information that is REQUIRED to go along with them.

Controls do not show or explain if there is healing in the game because there IS NO WAY TO KNOW THERE IS.
Controls do not show or explain how to know how much damage you've taken if any.
Controls do not show or explain why the customization SCREEN HAS NO FUNCTION AND IS TOTALLY USELESS.
Controls are pointless when you don't have anything to use them on and this game has nothing to use them on.

Saying they do is just about as dumb as saying look at the controls without the rest of the required information.

The devs are almost as incompetent as ANET IS..ANET has these guys beat, but these guys are right up there with the top stupidest developers in existence.

Until someone decides to actually enter voice chat with me and go over every single play aspect right down to the interface layout, I will just continue to go into coop games hanging around being carried by everyone else because the game isn't playable unless you have been told how to play in voice chat.

last edited by TL_Gamer

I play solo and talk to no one.

Figured the game out myself. Took about 15 minutes of play time.

I understand that some people have never played a video game before and that they should have a bit of help to understand the basics, but to THIS point... I'm legit bewildered.

@arkadeivitch his YouTube channel us mainly complaining.

Not sure if troll or not

@brashsmurf said in Game needs a massive overhaul for base structure:

Not sure if troll or not

Of course he is a troll. The boring one. This nonsense can't be true.

@tl_gamer
1 - what do you mean? You upgrade weapons and choose perks for your class. Really simple, doesnt require explanation.
2 - ??? - there are ammo boxes that give you ammo. This is literally the most basic thing in the game.
3 - you can switch weapons anytime you want... again, I have no clue what you are talking about.
4 - Yes, there is... 2 ways to do that actually.
5 - the game literally tells you everything and shows each Objective you have to do...
6 - you can Vault over certain objects. No idea how it's possible to "get stuck" in linear game like this...

Overall, all "problems" you mentioned either makes no sense or are non-existent, which makes me think that you are just a troll trying to trash talk the game because this isn't even your first post where you make up "problems" that don't even exist.

@brashsmurf said in Game needs a massive overhaul for base structure:

@arkadeivitch his YouTube channel us mainly complaining.

Not sure if troll or not

Thanks for the info, I managed to find a very instructive video explaining everything about this dude: https://youtu.be/RaquF9vExAM

Apparently he's not a troll, just a poor soul that needs help, maybe.
That's far from his first post on this forum but it will continue, for sure.

He's attempting to get you all riled up so you go hunting for, and viewing his YouTube content. More viewers and interest in this guy means more exposure and more $ in his pocket *or maybe he just craves attention. Avoid giving him that exposure or trying to help - he baits people to join him in audio chat. I haven't watched any of his videos (and never will) but there are many other videos showing who this guy is and what he's all about. I'm out of this one.

*edit

last edited by FedSki