How To Change Starting Loadout?

I've unlocked nearly everything I think, but even with specific weapons selected for each class, I still start the game with the same defaults, and while better then what you're originally stuck with in the game, still aren't the weapons I'd choose to start... Is there any way to change the loadout you start with?

Upgrading/unlocking weapons doesn't actually make you start with them, only makes them "available to be found" in game. Each class has it's own specific set of starting items/weapons. There are a few class perks that will also let you customize which weapons you start with, but the selection is very restrictive. For example, a Medic can start with a real SMG (Tier 2) as an upgrade to their default "Compact SMG" (weaker Tier 1), and a Fixer can start with an "Assault Rifle".
Outside of changing your class and changing your perks, there is no other way to change your starting loadout. You just have to look harder for weapons... this is a survival game after all. What I've noticed is that you don't normally find Tier 3 weapons until towards the end of each mission; pretty sure this is intentional.

@vcjunky said in How To Change Starting Loadout?:

Upgrading/unlocking weapons doesn't actually make you start with them, only makes them "available to be found" in game. Each class has it's own specific set of starting items/weapons. There are a few class perks that will also let you customize which weapons you start with, but the selection is very restrictive. For example, a Medic can start with a real SMG (Tier 2) as an upgrade to their default "Compact SMG" (weaker Tier 1), and a Fixer can start with an "Assault Rifle".
Outside of changing your class and changing your perks, there is no other way to change your starting loadout. You just have to look harder for weapons... this is a survival game after all. What I've noticed is that you don't normally find Tier 3 weapons until towards the end of each mission; pretty sure this is intentional.

Thanks you vcjunky, that's what I assumed was the case. I do not however agree here that the design here follows the story canon or narrative, certainly not the movie or what's even presented here -- for the most part our heroes are well equipped rescue teams, and while perhaps a bit bespoke or ad hoc in their assembly, it seems far more reasonable they'd have time to choose what they carried then found magic crates of weapons in equally magically absurd locations. I'm, sure this was more down to budget and time limitations -- just kind of sad that an enormous amount of game content and the variety it can offer is buried and this way...

In that case, your reasoning could only apply to the characters of the Israël chapter. The others are civilians who are just trying to survive.

@arkadeivitch said in How To Change Starting Loadout?:

In that case, your reasoning could only apply to the characters of the Israël chapter. The others are civilians who are just trying to survive.

Not quite; the characters in Japan and Russia are part of coordinated larger bespoke government operations as well. The New York characters and setting are really the only exception, and aren't 'just trying to survive' -- they're in radio contact with and coordinating with other operations as well...

In virtually none of the settings are crates of T3 weapons congruent with the location, story or anything that is or was going on; this stuff would be cleared out within minutes of any previous operation given the narrative we have been given.

I don't think this is a big deal, clearly this was a project that was time and budget constrained, and you can see this in many aspects of the game like the collision handling of the zombies that fly across the map when head shot, and narrative execution, and game features in general.

Without reservation I feel Saber Interactive did an excellent job of prioritizing and finishing an outstanding game -- so much so I'd buy a sequel or expansion in a heart beat, and pay full boat without reservation even with all the same limitations!

My criticism here is that shooting is really the only instrumentality of interaction in this game, and a lot of variety and re-playability has been limited as there's enormous game content here that's unnecessarily and unrealistically constrained.

last edited by Hoak

@hoak
Actually, the survivors in Moscow are exactly "just trying to survive". They are not part of a large group, do not coordinate with anyone, do not look for an evacuation point (because there is no evacuation), and do not even have sufficient supplies.
***Quote***

click to show

@doomshfaft said in How To Change Starting Loadout?:

@hoak
Actually, the survivors in Moscow are exactly "just trying to survive". They are not part of a large group, do not coordinate with anyone, do not look for an evacuation point (because there is no evacuation), and do not even have sufficient supplies.
***Quote***

click to show

If you actually make the effort to read the entire narrative and dialog you'll see there's a valid argument and exception to what your saying here, but all this is a petty digression to the point I clearly emphasized again in the previous post, and the point of the thread -- to bring that back and focus:

Shooting is really the only instrumentality of interaction in this game, and a lot of variety and re-playability has been limited as there's enormous game content here that's unnecessarily and unrealistically constrained.

There's an enormous amount of game content that was created for this game in the way of weapon, and weapon attachments in this game that the player only rarely gets to interact with, that could at a lot more variety and replay interest in the game for some.

Just saying...

last edited by Hoak

@hoak said in How To Change Starting Loadout?:

If you actually make the effort to read the entire narrative and dialog you'll see there's a valid argument and exception to what your saying here

Sergey's group is not related to the government or the army. No organization protects or supplies them. They survive on their own. What kind of "coordinated larger bespoke government operations" are you talking about?

@doomshfaft said in How To Change Starting Loadout?:

@hoak said in How To Change Starting Loadout?:

If you actually make the effort to read the entire narrative and dialog you'll see there's a valid argument and exception to what your saying here

Sergey's group is not related to the government or the army. No organization protects or supplies them. They survive on their own. What kind of "coordinated larger bespoke government operations" are you talking about?

You really can't take a polite hint can you? This is off topic -- you're simply want to bicker; clearly Sergey's group is not merely "just trying to survive" as you put it, it's virtually a suicide mission, again, this is off topic, if you want to start a thread on the game and movie's story and narrative, go for it. The point here was congruent access to an enormous amount of game content that is in essence buried, you've lost your way, these aren't the droids you're looking for, move along...

last edited by Hoak