How to make the mud more realistic (PC version)

@deathcoreboy1 The vehicle-specific values (or wheel-specific to be more correct) override those template values in the Media.zip. Most stock vehicles use the template values, so you'll see a difference if you change them. From what I've seen all mods use their own values. Only a few of the stock vehicles have their own values, if I remember correctly it's the Ridge DLC tractors and the skidder. Let me know if you need any help with that!

last edited by Unster

@Unster Thanks a lot. I'll change them once I get home and let you know how I feel about it.

@Unster I've modified the values and I feel like the UAZ behaves better now. Is it too much to ask you which of the stock trucks use these template values and which doesn't? cuz the hummer is still crappy, no matter what number I put in there! XD

@deathcoreboy1 I just checked my modifications and it is as I said; only the Ridge tractors (D538 and B6A) and Skidder (K8400) have custom friction values. Now with the Hummer your issue probably is that it's OP, like all the AW scouts are. I have my Hummer set to 80k torque. I think original was 90 or 95k. And my F150 is set to 54k. You will not completely eliminate wheel spin on pavement and you shouldn't (some wheel spin can be realistic), but even with these values you may get more wheel spin than you'd expect. You could increase the body friction further but then you'll probably have unrealistic cornering and braking ability. I tested those when I decided on my values.

The main purpose for me was to reduce mud traction and increase pavement traction, and I mostly accomplished that with these changes. To have perfection would require a better physics engine, something like what BeamNG has.

last edited by Unster

@Unster BeamNG.Drive is such a good example of good physics and suspension/traction simulation! It's a shame we can't merge both games. BeamNG.Drives lack a purpose and terrain deformation. And although, lighting feels more realistic on BNG, can't help but feel that the whole scenery comes together in a more believable way in MR.

Thanks for your time bro.

@deathcoreboy1 No problem, glad to help. You're totally right on BeamNG and MR, and I think I also mentioned how great it would be to merge the 2 games. Having the physics and drivetrain simulation of BeamNG with the deformable mud & vegetation and missions of MR or ST would be the dream game for us. But let's keep in mind BeamNG is still an early access game. I think one day we'll get those things.

@Unster You know, maybe it sounds silly, but sometimes I jump into BNGD and spawn a truck, load it up with stones and pretend I have to take the load to X place in the map! hahahaha, like in MR. But the lack of game mechanics that rule this, get me bored after a while. As you said, let's hope BNG keeps growing and finally takes some direction.

Edit: I enjoy so much watching the truck's physics waving around with the heavy stones pushing it to the limit. Like, it feels so real. It behaves so close to what I would expect IRL. Also the traction, Man, this game has quite good physics. Surprisingly enough, I don't care too much for the truck deformation and it is the main selling point of this game.

last edited by deathcoreboy1

keep in mind this can break you achievements or online gameplay

not to mention but there are tools that im not allowed to mention that can fix the online gameplay and achievements

@Forces How would it? I really don't think the game checks for friction values and compares them to the original to see if achievements should be disabled. I already have all the achievements that I was going to get in MR, but in ST which I assume has the same behavior I have similar modifications but still get achievements. What does disable achievements, at least in ST, is using mod vehicles or mod maps.

@deathcoreboy1 Yup. I especially like to play with some of the tractors in BeamNG and see how tractors actually behave in real life, for example how they jump up and down on pavement if you apply too much throttle. MR doesn't have this effect at all. But of course MR has the mud and the missions, so overall it's the better game for going through mud and delivering logs.

The vehicle deformation in BeamNG was the main attraction for me initially but now I appreciate even more the overall accurate physics, out of which the deformation came.

Oh ok, since you have all achievements it doesnt matter that much, yes it checks for both achievements and game files, so if your files dont match with the other user, your game wont connect
I can be edited on mud Spintires, sadly and yes technically they're the same game, and Spintires is far more radical, it disables the online mode

@Forces I've never played multiplayer on this or ST, so I can't speak on that. But if it's true that any tweaks to the game files will disable multiplayer then that's worth mentioning, though that would seem silly since it's not competitive multiplayer.

@Unster said in How to make the mud more realistic (PC version):

@Forces I've never played multiplayer on this or ST, so I can't speak on that. But if it's true that any tweaks to the game files will disable multiplayer then that's worth mentioning, though that would seem silly since it's not competitive multiplayer.

More relevant to compatibility than competition, I think.

@Unster I don't really care much, since the multiplayer experience is not appealing to me in the current shape. I could be tho, but right now it feels like playing solo but seeing the other player hovering around.

Edit: Typos

last edited by deathcoreboy1

@deathcoreboy1 @Mexican_420 Hey guys, as I posted last night on the Oovee forum I found some really great values for realistic mud. Unfortunately the same values don't have the same effect in MR probably because MR's mud is different and it doesn't let you sink as much. Likewise, even with the higher pavement traction I'm still getting more wheel spin in MR than ST. ST's pavement traction is pretty good actually and with the mud settings changes I just made the mud is near perfect. I don't know if such ideal values even exist for MR.

@Unster Wow! link me to your post on Oovee forums plz!

@Unster said in How to make the mud more realistic (PC version):

@deathcoreboy1 @Mexican_420 Hey guys, as I posted last night on the Oovee forum I found some really great values for realistic mud. Unfortunately the same values don't have the same effect in MR probably because MR's mud is different and it doesn't let you sink as much. Likewise, even with the higher pavement traction I'm still getting more wheel spin in MR than ST. ST's pavement traction is pretty good actually and with the mud settings changes I just made the mud is near perfect. I don't know if such ideal values even exist for MR.

If you do decide to play around with the mud values a bit more in MR and find some numbers that work, post 'em up and I'll give it a go!

@Mexican_420 I may still do more experimenting, but I'm not very hopeful. The problem is mud in MR is less soft and it's more difficult to reach the full mud depth where full sticking occurs, and mud softness doesn't seem to be affected by these numbers.

I'm just glad that at least one of these games now has the mud that I've wanted for a long time.

@Mexican_420 @deathcoreboy1 You guys can try these values in media.xml if you like. They are close to my latest values from ST but with a lower push depth to compensate for the stiffer mud in MR. I'd say these are pretty good, though the mud is stiffer than I'd like but there's nothing I can do about that. It's still possible to get stuck even with 4wd and diff lock so that's good, but the chance of that happening is less than in ST where the mud is softer.

<Mud>
	<Substance
		FullPushDepth="0.8"
		LinResistance="1.8"
		PushResistance="36.0"
		SubstanceFriction="0.3"
	/>
</Mud>